What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillyboob

Last week was a good week.  Started with Strand Of Oaks at the Teragram Ballroom in LA, and ended the week seeing The National at the Orpheum Theater.  Both were great shows, The National played a short film soundtracked by their new album before coming out for a brief Q&A with Matt, Bryce, the director, and the star of the film, moderated by Carrie Brownstein.  Then The National came out and played almost all of the new album, accompanied by two femle vocalists, along with Leslie Feist and Phoebe Bridgers on selected songs, and a string quartet.  They ended the show with a handful of their more popular (and more known) songs.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

MMJTX

Marcus King Band last night in Dallas at Granada Theater. Unreal show, can't be many bands better than them touring right now. Just absolute fire
Anytime

slappymoe

Saw The Who in Indy Saturday. My favorite band since high school in the late 70's, Pete and Roger are still worth the time, effort and money. Townshend especially. Still athletic, lean and limber, attacking his guitar as if his life depended on it.  Their acoustic "Won't Get Fooled Again" was the highlight for me.

If this was (finally) the last Who show I see, couldn't have asked for anything better.

sillyboob

What a weekend.

Santigold at the Hollywood Palladium Friday night.
Dramarama at a tiny amphitheater in Garden Grove Saturday night (and done just after 10pm).
Johnny Marr at the House Of Blues in Anaheim Sunday night.

I need sleep.  But I'll settle for coffee.

parkervb

saw Isbell and Father John Misty last night in RVA.

Jason Isbell continues to blow me away with his guitar playing when I see him. He played a new song, the song he wrote for A Star is Born and opened with Children of Children which is one of my favorite songs of his.

FJM was really good as well though I was hoping for longer than a 65 minute set.

Pretty great crowd at the Altria on a Monday night
Don't you ever turn it off

MMJTX

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 25, 2019, 08:40 AMsaw Isbell and Father John Misty last night in RVA.

Jason Isbell continues to blow me away with his guitar playing when I see him. He played a new song, the song he wrote for A Star is Born and opened with Children of Children which is one of my favorite songs of his.

FJM was really good as well though I was hoping for longer than a 65 minute set.

Pretty great crowd at the Altria on a Monday night

Sounds they've been rotating closing sets, im seeing them on Thursday in Dallas, pretty pumped. looks like isbell will be closing that night.
Anytime

sillyboob

Two nights of Broken Social Scene a couple weeks back made for a really great weekend in Hollywood.  Saw the Thursday and Friday shows at the Fonda Theater.  Both nights were great, Emily from Metric joined on a couple of songs on Thursday night.  It was fun watching the band switch instruments and seeing versatile the band members were, especially Ariel Engle.

MMJTX

Dead and Company at Dos Equis Pavilion in Dallas last night, was my first time seeing any iteration of The Dead, did not disappoint!!! Had a blast, loved the scene and the music. Played so many "Texas" songs! :cheesy:
Anytime

LBSUNFLWR

I saw Built To Spill on Tuesday night. It's the 20th anniversary of Keep it Like a Secret and they played the full album. Very fun.

Last night we saw Death Cab for Cutie outside at Iroquois Amphitheater. It was crazy hot out but worth it.

pjthom30

Got to check out Spafford in a small venue in Grand Rapids. Super impressed with the quality of music and sound. They go heavy on the long jam and throw in some fun 5 minute rippers.

Derek713

Caught Strand Of Oaks in Austin last weekend and this weekend. Great shows as always. Will Johnson joined him for a cover of The Dark Don't Hide It by Magnolia Electric Company. That was a nice treat. I'm glad he lives in Austin now. He has already played there 7 or 8 times this year, and seems to really be enjoying himself.

APR

Drive by Truckers in Philly.  My first time seeing them.  I liked it a lot.  Great guitars and not countryish at all in a live, loud setting.  Until last night, I had never seen a band play 2.5 hours without a set break or even a break for an encore.  It was one long set.  The sound guy at stage left was rocking out and mouthing the lyrics almost all night.  The bassist was constantly smiling.  It looked like they had a lot of fun playing what were serious/meaningful/political songs.

bschulze1726

Sturgill Simpson is a bad motherf*cker.  His show last night in Detroit was something else.  Round 2 tonight.  Tyler Childers was great as well. 

Crispy

Quote from: APR on Feb 28, 2020, 09:56 PMDrive by Truckers in Philly.  My first time seeing them.  I liked it a lot.  Great guitars and not countryish at all in a live, loud setting.  Until last night, I had never seen a band play 2.5 hours without a set break or even a break for an encore.  It was one long set.  The sound guy at stage left was rocking out and mouthing the lyrics almost all night.  The bassist was constantly smiling.  It looked like they had a lot of fun playing what were serious/meaningful/political songs.
Hell yeah! That bass man is the best -- he is "the real Matt Patton," and is just a blast to watch. I've seen DBT several times, and I always like to be on that side, which of course is also where Cooley is, and it's always a great rock show.

Last night I saw Justin Townes Earle in Tulsa, at a little club by himself, and it was totally amazing. He warned the crowd before he started that the best way to to keep a song from getting played was to yell out the title, so that kept those folks quiet. :grin:
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

MMJTX

Quote from: bschulze1726 on Mar 01, 2020, 01:51 PMSturgill Simpson is a bad motherf*cker.  His show last night in Detroit was something else.  Round 2 tonight.  Tyler Childers was great as well. 

Very happy to hear this, going to the Dallas show. I had read an article on facebook about him starting to talk about how tired he is of playing shows and how he hates some of his music. i think for the most part is was a pretty "click-baity" article so won't even give it that much credit but glad to hear this, i love all of sturgill and tyler's music
Anytime

parkervb

Quote from: MMJTX on Mar 02, 2020, 10:24 AM
Quote from: bschulze1726 on Mar 01, 2020, 01:51 PMSturgill Simpson is a bad motherf*cker.  His show last night in Detroit was something else.  Round 2 tonight.  Tyler Childers was great as well. 

Very happy to hear this, going to the Dallas show. I had read an article on facebook about him starting to talk about how tired he is of playing shows and how he hates some of his music. i think for the most part is was a pretty "click-baity" article so won't even give it that much credit but glad to hear this, i love all of sturgill and tyler's music

you can tell when the US got flipped on its head by the date we stopped talking about shows we've just seen.

I was supposed to see Stu and Tyler on Friday the 13th but the show got cancelled the day before (2nd time I've lost out on seeing Sturgill). I know it's trivial in grand scheme, but at least once a week I think about how he may never tour again and I may never hear him rip a massive solo during Remember to Breathe or Fastest Horse in Town. The article in question is likely the Steven Hyden interview and its not clickbait imo, it's a great interview.
Don't you ever turn it off

ranyart

Our last show was Mavis Staples in Ann Arbor, MI back in February and it was really good.  We have tickets for two shows that didn't happen. Stick Men in Cincy and the real heart breaker Turkuaz with Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew playing Remain In Light in New Orleans which was supposed to happen in early May (also had thoughts of seeing some of the jazz fest).  We have a bunch of upcoming King Crimson shows that are postponed, and of course we are pining to see MMJ just like everyone else so no telling for sure when this mess will be far enough behind us for all of that to actually happen.

jttouch2

Our last show was the Nashville benefit at Marathon Music Works with a big cast of local Americana folks-Brandi, Jason Isbell, Sheryl Crow, Yola, Katie Pruitt, and plenty more. Crazy that the tornado that destroyed so much there feels like a complete afterthought right now-what a long time ago that was. Tough for the Nashville scene to not have any time to bounce back from that disaster before a new one got bad.

I had Sturgill tickets for tomorrow night in Nashville, but that's obviously canceled. He made a comment on instagram the other day about how "what he planned to be his last big tour" got canceled, and I really am nervous that I'll have never gotten to see him. Good for him though, getting his $$ and getting off the road.

Big Thief in July canceled too. The only show I still have remaining tickets for is in August, but I'm fully expecting not to see another in person show for the rest of the year. This sucks. 

ranyart

Tonight was supposed to be our first King Crimson show of 2020 at the Palace Theater in Louisville KY.  I was really looking forward to seeing them again but for now I'll have to settle for some YouTube...

https://youtu.be/FhKJgqxNDD8

ranyart

Welcome to 2021 folks!  Last night we made our first concert ticket (re)purchase and it feels soooooo good.  We have new tix to see the Turkuaz Remain In Light show in New Orleans on October 15 2021 with our good friends that we have not seen in over a year!!!

All of these post pandemic concepts are causing much joy in our corner of the world as we get our vaccinations and begin to contemplate a future without this damn virus hanging over our heads.

Come on MMJ open up the floodgates.  We all know that you're primed and ready to go with not one but two new albums to rattle our bones and my calendar is filling up so it's time to start the announcements!!!

The day is coming, you know what I mean...