Super Bowl Shuffle - new Jim James vinyl 7

Started by MMJCOBRA, Jan 22, 2014, 09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJCOBRA

http://misfirerecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-super-bowl-shuffle

http://pitchfork.com...r-bowl-shuffle/

This label got a bunch of musicians + comedians + a cat to remake the Chicago Bears' "Super Bowl Shuffle." They're doing a 7", limited to 100 copies. Price is high, but not that bad since all the proceeds go to Reading Is Fundamental.

Tim Harrington (Les Savy Fav)
Tom Scharpling
Jim James (My Morning Jacket)
Scott Aukerman (Hot Saucerman)
David Wain
Kyle Kinane
Colt Cabana
John Roderick
Lil Bub
Dave Hill

justbcuzido

As a lifelong bears fan, WTF is this? Why? Why?

The swagger that the 85 Bears had was out of control. To make this is less an homage than a mockery IMO.

From, a disgruntled Bears fan

End rant   
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Fully

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: Fully on Jan 23, 2014, 06:27 AM
It's for charity, I think.

It's definitely for charity and a hilarious send up of the SB Shuffle, which could've only been a hit in that awkward decade we call the eighties.

johnnYYac

Took a while, but it finally arrived.  I didn't know who Scott Aukerman was when this was first announced, but have since seen quite a few episodes of Comedy Bang Bang on IFC.  It was only $10 plus $3 shipping and proceeds went to Reading Is Fundamental.  I'm guessing they didn't even sell out the 100 pressed.  Came with the strong smell of screen print ink... y'know, that Fungy smell.

Front cover

Back half-cover (note "Cover 4 of 10" - did anyone get a different cover?)

Side A

Side B

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

itrainmonkeys

Colored vinyl sold out but I just ordered one in black. I'm a huge Comedy Bang Bang fan so anything that brings together Aukerman and Jim James makes me happy.

Angelo

John - seeing as there's 10 people that appear on the song, it's not a stretch to think each artist got their own cover. I have no clue who you got but I wonder if there's a Jim cover out there somewhere?

johnnYYac

Quote from: Angelo on Jun 23, 2014, 06:57 PM
John - seeing as there's 10 people that appear on the song, it's not a stretch to think each artist got their own cover. I have no clue who you got but I wonder if there's a Jim cover out there somewhere?
Good point! That hadn't occurred to me.  I submitted this to Discogs using the Aukerman cover image, but also contacted Misfire to check my submission's accuracy, so we'll see...

Anyone get a different cover?

johnnYYac

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Jun 23, 2014, 04:10 PM
Colored vinyl sold out but I just ordered one in black. I'm a huge Comedy Bang Bang fan so anything that brings together Aukerman and Jim James makes me happy.
I saw that, itm. Didn't recall mention of two versions back when announced, but glad to hear they sold at least 101!

searchinbig

Not only are there 10 different covers but each cover was printed in 2 different colors so there are technically 20 different covers.

Is the second side the Jim Sax Solo??
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 24, 2014, 12:43 AM
Good point! That hadn't occurred to me.  I submitted this to Discogs using the Aukerman cover image, but also contacted Misfire to check my submission's accuracy, so we'll see...

Anyone get a different cover?

I found some other thread on Vinylcollective forums that had people posting about this and yes, there were a bunch of different covers. I'm assuming they made 10 of each for the initial batch? There was definitely some Jim James covers out there and I think one person was willing to trade on the VC boards. Not sure if that offer still stands, though.

johnnYYac

Mr. White

Since it's for Reading Is Fundamental, I went ahead and ordered my black vinyl copy today.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

seancannon

Hey all,

Firstly, the b-side is Jim's full sax solo, as well as some adorable purring from Lil Bub.

I still have a few Jim covers in the run of black vinyl (not sure how many). If anyone who just bought one wants that cover (or any of them in particular), get in touch. It'll be first come, first served. I'm out of town right now, but I can let you know what's what when I get back. Shoot an email to scannon@wfpk.org with "Shuffle" in the subject.

I went overboard on the packaging to make up for the delay in getting the records out. If I'd planned to do the multiple covers from the beginning, I would've figured out a system to make sure everyone got one of their top two choices or something along those lines. That and I honestly didn't anticipate this level of interest in the multiple covers.

Lastly, thanks so much to everyone who has supported the project!!! I was blown away by the interest and support from all sides, and I was so glad to be able to help one of my favorite charities in RIF while also bringing something ridiculous to life.

itrainmonkeys

E-mail sent :).

Thanks for reaching out. Really cool thing you're doing.

Mr. White

Yes! I got my black vinyl copy of this with the Jim cover today!

Thanks seancannon, Jim and all who were on the record, Reading Is Fundamental, and unravelled for bringing this project to our attention!

I hope you get a Jim cover too, itrainmonkeys!

itrainmonkeys

I think I may be getting a Jim cover. I also e-mailed Sean after he posted here and he said he'd try to send me one (I requested Jim or Scott Aukerman....either would have been awesome). Should be getting to my house this week. Can't wait to add it to my collection.

johnnYYac

I'm a shameful completist, so along with the colored Aukerman I'm getting a black Jim, too.  :rolleyes:

Mr. White

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 09, 2014, 05:06 PM
I'm a shameful completist, so along with the colored Aukerman I'm getting a black Jim, too.  :rolleyes:

I figured you might, John. I hope you get it and get it soon.

Angelo

I too am expecting a Jim cover in the mail from Sean. Can't wait for it to arrive.