Main Menu

Sturgill Simpson

Started by BigHerm, May 07, 2014, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crooney

i'm always on the lookout for recordings of sturgill shows.  recently found some good ones at this link

http://www.panicstream.net/vault/category/sturgill-simpson/

the sound quality varies, but there are some good ones.  i recommend the 2014 denmark show, the two 2015 nashville shows, and the 2015 austin show is a great sounding fm broadcast.

check it!

sillyboob

Quote from: parkervb on Nov 09, 2017, 10:36 AM
Quote from: sillyboob on Nov 09, 2017, 10:15 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Nov 09, 2017, 08:53 AM
So Sturgill continues to be the greatest thing in Nashville. He posted up outside the CMAs outside last night and streamed it, answered questions and played a few songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/watch-sturgill-simpson-busk-take-questions-outside-cmas-w511372

You can catch the stream here on his FB live https://www.facebook.com/sturgillsimpsonmusic/

Some hilarious moments like when he said Joe Rogan has that "mad scientist Cali weed", says he's listening to ELO and Run the Jewels. Also sounds like he's got grand ideas for his next album and sadly, he says he's sticking to his 5 album plan.

"The world would be a better place if Donald Trump smoked some DMT"

That was the first I had heard of his 5 album plan.  What a bummer!

i first heard him mention it on the Joe Rogan Experience. He expands on it in the FB Live on how it's a narrative of a life journey of a human soul. He said Hightop was a past life, Metamodern was ethereal, the soul's journey, Sailor's Guide is about birth & life lessons, and his next album will be about life & sin and the last one about "returning to the light".

Sounds like he's doing more producing too

Interesting.  While I'm not a fan of only 5 albums, I like the story arc of the idea.  Dig his tunes.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Shug

Pretty hot guitar playing from Sturgill (and Stapleton getting into some duel riffing) sitting in with Chris Stapleton on SNL this weekend.

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

dookie shoot bandit

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

StillWishing

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 14, 2019, 04:27 PM

DIG IT!!!!

If this is any indication of what his next album will sound like, I am all in!!!

parkervb

https://www.jambase.com/article/sturgill-simpson-new-album-anime-movie-sound-fury

"We went in without any preconceived notions and came out with a really sleazy, steamy rock n roll record," Simpson stated in a press release. "It's definitely my most psychedelic. And also my heaviest. I had this idea that it'd be really cool to animate some of these songs, and we ended up with a futuristic, dystopian, post-apocalyptic, samurai film."

YES!!!

Cameron

parkervb

gonna need all the weeds for an anime movie set to the heaviest, most psychedelic Sturgill record.

ChiefOKONO

His new video for "Sing Along" is out and it looks pretty Wild!!!

StillWishing

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Aug 20, 2019, 03:10 PMHis new video for "Sing Along" is out and it looks pretty Wild!!!

Not sure if I got chills because it's new Sturgill music or because this song is bananas.

parkervb

Mad Max meets Ninja Scroll soundtracked by Sturgill? I am 100% here for it.

I will say I hope it doesn't carry that video game feel throughout the album.

johnnYYac

So, Sound and Fury is on endless repeat these days. So unique, while at the same time clearly influenced by disparate artists like Prince, Meatloaf, and Pink Floyd. Not sure how to classify it, other than awesome.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MMJTX

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 02, 2019, 03:38 PMSo, Sound and Fury is on endless repeat these days. So unique, while at the same time clearly influenced by disparate artists like Prince, Meatloaf, and Pink Floyd. Not sure how to classify it, other than awesome.

Couldn't agree more Johnny, incredible album, Sturgill can do no wrong it seems in my ears
Anytime

parkervb

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 02, 2019, 03:38 PMSo, Sound and Fury is on endless repeat these days. So unique, while at the same time clearly influenced by disparate artists like Prince, Meatloaf, and Pink Floyd. Not sure how to classify it, other than awesome.

Dr Dre, Black Sabbath, Skrillex

CountSA

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 03, 2019, 04:06 PM

Dr Dre, Black Sabbath, Skrillex

QOTSA

davymac

Spot on, couldn't have said it better myself.

MMJTX

Anybody get tickets for any of the Sturgill/Tyler tour?
Grabbed 4 tickets on the floor of American Airlines Center in Dallas during the first presale, looks like it's sold out now so glad i splurged for the floor
Anytime

Murph

Quote from: MMJTX on Nov 08, 2019, 02:38 PMAnybody get tickets for any of the Sturgill/Tyler tour?
Grabbed 4 tickets on the floor of American Airlines Center in Dallas during the first presale, looks like it's sold out now so glad i splurged for the floor

It blows my mind that he's headlining the Garden. Good for him.

ChiefOKONO

I was also surprised that he's playing such big venues and so I may not even go this time, but it's good for him I guess!