Favorite My Morning Jacket studio album

Started by johnnYYac, May 14, 2016, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which studio album do you currently consider your favorite?

The Tennessee Fire
7 (5.2%)
At Dawn
27 (20.1%)
It Still Moves
57 (42.5%)
Z
27 (20.1%)
Evil Urges
8 (6%)
Circuital
4 (3%)
The Waterfall
4 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Jellyfish

After all these years the Tenn Fire is still my fav.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

ericm

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 18, 2016, 05:58 PM
I kinda like how the graph of results looks like It Still Moves is giving the finger...

:grin:       
"Where's Jim going?"

dcfire

its hard to rank them but this list is based on how often i play the albums in iTunes:

1. circuital
2. evil urges (was very happy with sat night at red rocks)
3. the waterfall
4. it still moves
5. z
6. at dawn
7. the tennessee fire

WinstonLegthigh

The Tennessee Fire, far and away. I decided to go see the Pritzker Pavillion show (more for Band of Horses, initially) and was very unfamiliar with My Morning Jacket. Since I got the tickets well ahead of time, I got all the albums and crammed. The show blew me away and I was hooked. The first album I listened to and became familiar with while cramming was The Tennessee Fire. I don't even think the Pritzker show touched on that album much, but that first album is the one that made an impression on me.

The Tennessee Fire
At Dawn
It Still Moves
Z
The Waterfall
Circuital
Evil Urges

darizzzla

i gave my vote to Z but so hard to pick one album or even a song , probably have 20 favs . Cheers all MMJ fans out there  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

mscarlyw

pshanley11

Come on, play At Dawn, vinyl, loud = most gorgeous.
Signed,
Honest Man Shan

DaydreamNation

It Still Moves
At Dawn
Z
Tennessee Fire
The Waterfall
Evil Urges
Circuital
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

Clarkwork

It Still Moves for me,  So glad I heard it the fall of 2003
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

cshumate1012

I remember when Evil Urges came out instantly feeling like each song was familiar. I think that album really was a generational statement. There was a feeling I got from listening to that record that is unique among their other releases. Still holds true for me nearly a decade later.

SmokinShootin

Evil Urges does it for me. Carl's pedal steel playing, the diversity. "Thank You Too!" was me and my wife's wedding song--though she would probably pick another MMJ album.

MMJ_fanatic

I clicked the view results and the bars look like the polls flipping the bird  :cheesy:
Anyway my 2 "tied fof #1" selections are topping this poll so 'nuff said  :thumbsup:
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

user

It would be It Still Moves, which is probably the most accomplished, but it's so hard not to pick At Dawn... what a masterpiece ! The title track gives me shivers every time I hear it

Lucius

I genuinely love them all, each album holds some of their best work but I had to go for The Waterfall. Unpopular choice I know but it was my first time experiencing a new album as a proper MMJ fan (I was very new and just scratching the surface during Circuital but hadn't totally lost my head to the band at that point - between 2011 and 2015 I had become obsessed!!) and the UK leg of the Waterfall tour was my first taste of them live so it holds a special place in my heart. In Its Infancy is easily in my top 10 Jacket songs, absolute masterpiece! Only Memories (live) is also a true godsend 
it wouldn't be a party without you

JohnDoe

Evil Urges, for me it is the OST of my life

RobRoy286

Lonndown27

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Cameron

I learned Friday that my wife REALLY doesn't like TN Fire! Oops...Haha

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 15, 2019, 07:59 PMwow Rob, Circuital?!?!
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Aug 04, 2019, 07:40 PMCircuital!
It changes all the time, but Circuital is what got me into the band. Bonnaroo 2011 was my first show. I think it's a seriously underrated album. I love the production of it and as a fan who missed the first ten years of the band's existence, I consider a lot of the songs to be classics now. Victory Dance is one of the coolest songs in the history of the universe. Carl is phenomenal on the album - Slow Slow Tune is maybe my favorite solo of his. Wonderful is exactly as it's titled. Outta My System and First Light are super fun jams too.

It's mostly just sentimental reasons. TF studio is near unlistenable for me, but with the current lineup playing it live, it's my favorite collection of songs. At Dawn, ISM, and Z are all pretty much flawless.

Rupert230

Z is like watching them blossom.  So full and when they really show you we' Going out of this galaxy