Main Menu

Next album?

Started by parkervb, Aug 12, 2019, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

so I did hear from someone who was in VIP Saturday and got a chance to talk to some people "connected" to the band that said a few interesting things...

-the band has taken a lot of pride in how well these shows have gone after a long lay off (rightfully so)
-there should be no concerns about them being done
-there's already been some work on an album
-there are 2020 shows booked already

the first two things are pretty obvious now - they kicked ass and had a lot of fun doing it

the second two of course are hearsay so let's see what happens over the next several months.
Don't you ever turn it off

Cameron

I love hearing news like that. 

ChiefOKONO

Thanks for sharing.  Fingers crossed for an awesome new album!!

Bagels

That's very good news to hear!

My very optimistic view of these shows has been that they wanted to warm up on the road before getting in the studio.

rkwedge

Good to hear indeed. You could definitely see in them that they were having a great time being back together. Other then the Port Chester show which had a purpose, the other three were just balls to the walls rock shows. Here's hoping they are going to get some studio time in and make/finish some great new music then tour the shit out of it. We need them in our lives!
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

logan5ive

My guess is that the 2020 shows are Red Rocks.
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

gratefueled

I'm suspecting a 2020 Waterfall tour with a focus on the unreleased magic

parkervb

no venues were mentioned to me but it was more dates than a RR run.

main thing to me is that hearing this on top of these great shows has me really excited for the next era of MMJ

Bagels

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 13, 2019, 08:50 AMno venues were mentioned to me but it was more dates than a RR run.

main thing to me is that hearing this on top of these great shows has me really excited for the next era of MMJ

The way Jim was talking about playing at Forest Hills, I'm hoping they make it their East Cost home akin to RR. I'd support a 2-3 night run there every summer and they would definitely draw well.

sillyboob

Quote from: Bagels on Aug 13, 2019, 09:14 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Aug 13, 2019, 08:50 AMno venues were mentioned to me but it was more dates than a RR run.

The way Jim was talking about playing at Forest Hills, I'm hoping they make it their East Cost home akin to RR. I'd support a 2-3 night run there every summer and they would definitely draw well.

I really dug Forest Hills.  It seemed like the Greek Theater in Berkeley's big brother.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Bagels

Quote from: sillyboob on Aug 13, 2019, 10:13 AM
Quote from: Bagels on Aug 13, 2019, 09:14 AM

I really dug Forest Hills.  It seemed like the Greek Theater in Berkeley's big brother.

The Greek Theater is on my list of venues I need to see a show at. I love Forest Hills, have seen a few shows there now (MMJ x2, Tom Petty, Robert Plant, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nightsweats) it's a great spot, and would be a nice summer spot for MMJ. Fingers crossed.

Cameron

Loved Forest Hills as well once we got off the floor. Wife is really short and couldn't see a thing. I'm 6'3" and was having trouble but everything was amazing once we found a couple of seats. Sounded better off the floor too.

Lonndown27

Unreal venue no doubting THAT but the 10pm curfew and the annoyingly short shows there have me wondering why.
    It's a great vibe though i would love to see them come on at 7pm in early October and play til 10pm there.
    There's a reason MMJ's short shows STILL destroy the imitators' 80-90 minutes EVERY night, no doubt, this is a band that does 2 hours and 20+ in places like Idaho, Utah etc. There's just simply too many amazing songs.
    I hope there was a calculated reason they played somewhat (especially for RR) shorter shows. If it's about protecting Jimbo's voice for the studio I'M ALL FOR IT.
    Love the mystery of this band but would love to have heard Jim say it, "yes we're heading back into the shimmering orifice of the studio" and i hope with Jim or Ryan Pickett producing.
     Tucker Martine has a huge relationship with the boys, especially Jim, but his ears aren't capturing the band I hear onstage.
      For all the talk of Circuital being a live in the studio record i never felt it except the title track. Ryan could do this. Just put the boys in an abandoned theater, break out the joints and gummy bears and very very good Patrick-made grub and just hit record.
      I want the band to get as weird as possible and do something akin to The White Album, just a 20+ track album of everything from Jim on acoustic to full band workouts, a Bo instrumental piece etc.

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ZMan

I am holding out for the release of the Waterfall recordings to tide us over while they hit the studio this fall for a new batch of music in 2020.

As far as future 2-3 night show runs, I'd love to see them hit Philly's newest music hall the Met.

APR

Quote from: ZMan on Aug 18, 2019, 08:38 AMI am holding out for the release of the Waterfall recordings to tide us over while they hit the studio this fall for a new batch of music in 2020.

As far as future 2-3 night show runs, I'd love to see them hit Philly's newest music hall the Met.

I'd like to check out a show there for sure.  Add The Anthem in DC as another great place/right size venue too.

gkitt80

Quote from: ZMan on Aug 18, 2019, 08:38 AMAs far as future 2-3 night show runs, I'd love to see them hit Philly's newest music hall the Met.

THIS! Oh how SWEET this would be. 2-3 night run in Philly? At the Met? YES!

Come Closer

Quote from: APR on Aug 19, 2019, 10:30 AM
Quote from: ZMan on Aug 18, 2019, 08:38 AMI am holding out for the release of the Waterfall recordings to tide us over while they hit the studio this fall for a new batch of music in 2020.

I'd like to check out a show there for sure.  Add The Anthem in DC as another great place/right size venue too.

The Anthem over MPP? Do bands do multi night runs at the Anthem? I haven't followed the schedule closely.

In terms of production, it would be cool if they brought in someone like Rado or Wilson. Swift would've been interesting too.

RobRoy286

Wonder if Jim's Instagram post is some new jacket...

parkervb

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Aug 21, 2019, 07:51 AMWonder if Jim's Instagram post is some new jacket...

i think its related to his Song Cycle event in DC but that's a total guess

parkervb

Quote from: Osistheones on Aug 20, 2019, 09:09 PM
Quote from: APR on Aug 19, 2019, 10:30 AM

The Anthem over MPP? Do bands do multi night runs at the Anthem? I haven't followed the schedule closely.

In terms of production, it would be cool if they brought in someone like Rado or Wilson. Swift would've been interesting too.

totally agree on Wilson, would be cool.

I was just at the Anthem with APR and it would be a great sized indoor venue for winter/early spring shows. An option that really wasn't there until this opened.