We Have Arrived Bonnaroo 2004

Started by George_Savage, Aug 24, 2007, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George_Savage

I looked around the forum for this topic but I never found it, so forgive me if this is needless repitition (as opposed to Wordless Chorus), but the Sundance Channel showed a documentary on Bonnaroo '04 yesterday morning at 4:25 AM.   I DVR'd it and last night I perused through it.   Some of the performers featured are MMJ (obviously), Gov't Mule, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Kings of Leon, and DMB.   I'm not sure when this was released or how many times it's been on, but it's the first time I'd seen it.   The only parts that I really watched were MMJ and a bit of KOL.   They had Jim singing Golden solo; he was in a tent.  And later they had a bit of Steam Engine (though not enough!) - MMJ appeared at the very end of the film.   A tremendous rain storm appeared and they played through it.  I'm sure that many of you Knowers were there and it was magnificent!  
        There's a pretty funny part right after they finish with Steam Engine.   They finish the song and they're jumping around in a circle hugging one another and one of 'em says "that was fucking hilarious!" - at that point I was drifting off to sleep but I am sure that I didn't dream this!   I am not sure what was so hilarious to them (maybe the rain storm or something someone said off camera - when I was it again, it may become obvious at that point), but it was fun to see them up there having fun and getting their due.  
         I will burn this to DVD and send it to someone who can put it up on a server if that would help anyone.   It may already be on a server somewhere - as I said, this is probably ancient news.    I will also offer it to the first three people here who will promise to re-offer it to those (like me) who can't download diddly!    Long live MMJ and the tapers and traders.

Low Dog
"anytime your war gets out of hand I'll take it on"

Jellyfish

This doesn't sound like the same DVD I have that was commercially released.There is just the one song from MMJ(OBH) on that one.

I'll take a copy and promise to spread it around.......thanks George.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

George_Savage

QuoteThis doesn't sound like the same DVD I have that was commercially released.There is just the one song from MMJ(OBH) on that one.

Actually, about ten minutes after I posted this I realized that offering this up may not be the coolest thing to do!   I hadn't heard of it before, and I don't have anything remotely like this.   I guess the only commercially released (or as my old friend "Who's?" Jon called them, "store-bought) DVD involving MMJ is Okonokos.   So if this isn't a commercially available DVD then I guess I can go ahead and offer it up?    I don't want any lawsuits, yadig?!?    It's probably 35% interviews and 65% musical performances.    The interviewers are on the bus with Dave Matthews and later they're on a bus with Kings of Leon.   There's a scene of KOL in a convenience store and the clerk asks them "are you playing tonight?" and I think one of 'em says "We're playing today!"    I just breezed through it, as I said, I didn't watch hardly any of it, but I scanned through the entire thing.   There was a definite resemblence to Woodstock (the film) because they used the multi-screen effect a lot near the beginning.   MMJ are flailing around a lot during Steam Engine, and Jim sings in a tent earlier (Golden) - it's pretty funny because as he's singing during the beginning of Golden they're showing scenes of people asleep on the ground during the morning, just crashed out!    
            If we need permission to do this here, maybe someone will speak up and say 'yea' or 'nay' - if not, I am not averse to spreading the love of MMJ/Bonnaroo!

Low Dog

George_Savage

I went back and checked the other showings of this film so that those with the Sundance Channel can check it out.   Those showings are as follows (Central Time):     Aug 27 at 5:15 PM -  Aug 30 at 8:30 AM  -   Aug 31 at 5:00 AM  - these are the only showings currently listed.   Hopefully, we can get this out there to those that don't have the Sundance Channel without breaking any laws!

Low Dog

getinthevan

Dang, I don't have the Sundance Channel anymore...    :(
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

aMD

I would LOVE a copy of this.  I had heard of it's existence but never seen it.  This is the epic performance from Return to Thunderdome!  George, pm me.  i'm sure we can work out a trade!

BH

I have had this on my Moxi (Tivo) for awhile now.  It's really good.  It had Gillian Welch doing Caleb Meyer and you can see Jim at the side of the stage totally getting into it.

And the thing closes with a montage of Jim doing golden solo and with the full band.  It goes back and forth between both. Then, like George says it blends into the full blown outro jam on Steam Engine.  It's really spectacular.  I had always heard about what a great moment that was in MMJ history and I was glad to see a bit of it.  And obviously, whoever made the film knew how to end the film right!

There's also a really cool section showing Trey from Phish rehearsing with an orchastra for one of his performances.

I think the Black Keys, KOL, Govt' Mule, and lots of other good stuff is on there as well.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jellyfish

Thanks for your kind offer. :)
I will offer up some freebies when George gets it to me.

Kory

Yeeeaaaa, thanks guys, I can't wait to watch this
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

George_Savage

QuoteI have had this on my Moxi (Tivo) for awhile now.  It's really good.  It had Gillian Welch doing Caleb Meyer and you can see Jim at the side of the stage totally getting into it.

And the thing closes with a montage of Jim doing golden solo and with the full band.  It goes back and forth between both. Then, like George says it blends into the full blown outro jam on Steam Engine.  It's really spectacular.  I had always heard about what a great moment that was in MMJ history and I was glad to see a bit of it.  And obviously, whoever made the film knew how to end the film right!

There's also a really cool section showing Trey from Phish rehearsing with an orchastra for one of his performances.

I think the Black Keys, KOL, Govt' Mule, and lots of other good stuff is on there as well.  

I second all of this, and especially this:  "And obviously, whoever made the film knew how to end the film right!"    I watched a little bit more last night after I posted; I realized that my DVR start recording this program a little bit after it actually started, so I will have to redo it on Monday and I'll get it all this time!   I watched all of the MMJ stuff again and some of the opening.   There are a lot more artists than previously mentioned.   I think that the first one with any real coverage at all in the film are the North Mississippi All-stars, with special guest R L Burnside.  The film is just under two hours long.  
          I have still only watched a small portion of the entire film, but it's a well-done piece of the history of that festival '04.   There is at least one really good overhead shot of the massive crowd.  As you (Dave, I think) mentioned, Trey of Phish is talking to the orchestra.  This is right before MMJ appears (Jim in the tent singing Golden), and they are showing a series of quotes from these various artists regarding the topic of the power of music.   One of 'em calls music "the intergalactic language" and talks about how we're all connected.  Gillian Welch says something like "a good song is unstoppable"   Anyway, Trey says something that is almost exactly what I once said about the last part of Bermuda Highway.   This is when Jim's just singing "ah ah, ah-ah-, uh-ah, ah ah, ah-ah" (you know what I'm talking about!).    It hit me at the March 20, 2002 show that this is what you will probably hear when you die and you're ascending to Heaven.    Anyway, Trey's exact quote is "it's like the music you hear when you're floatin' up to Heaven, you know" - I thought it was funny to hear that phrase, especially right before MMJ's segment.  Within a about five seconds of this quote, they've got Jim up there about to start singing Golden.  It's awesome.  
           A possible theory about "that was fucking hilarious" is that Patrick is talking about Jim and his onstage antics.  He did this same kind of thing during Steam Engine when I saw 'em in Dallas on Nov. 17, 2004.  He's got his back to the crowd and he's playing that solo on the Flying V and he kind of down his knees or squatting and holding up the guitar like he's lifting it towards the sky.  Or it could have been something else completely, but it was pretty funny!
          So anyway, I have one volunteer (Jellyfish) so far regarding sending this out to those of us without a way to download DVD's.   I just have a burner hooked up to my DVR.  I will send this to someone who can make it available on a server somewhere and also I'll send another two copies to those of us who can burn it and send it through the mail.   I'm antiquated, but that's the way I still have to send and receive stuff!    Either PM me or write it out here and I'll get these out sometime this week.   I'll let you know when I have my two other volunteers to help spread the love.   We think it's going to be okay to do this, by the way.  If not, I'll be singing Woody Guthrie's "So long, it's been good to know you" on my way to the slammer!!    

Have fun,
Low Dog
np: Lead me Father

JacketGal

I just saw this! Wow, this is the first time I've seen footage of that Bonnaroo performance! Oh man, what a cosmic event that must have been. I had no idea that they played through the rain, I had heard it rained but didn't know the band was soaked too.  At the end when they all hugged - what a moving moment.

I also loved Chris Robinson's comment - "Remember it's all the same song.." Love that hippy! Gillian's comment was great too.

Kings of Leon ROCKED!

This doc is superbly done - it's got to turn up somewhere!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

CTdeadhead

I tivo'd this yesterday and watched it today, and just needed to say....wow!  This was a great program.  The rain footage is just simply amazing, it got me psyched up emotionally.  For some reason, it made me think of the ending of the Shawshank Redemption when Tim Robbins escapes.

Thanks to Low Dog for the heads up on this.  If it were not for this thread, I would have assumed this to be the from the DVD and may have disregarded it on cable.  

fitzcarraldo

Thanks 4 the heads up. It's aired again Thursday morning 9:30 EST  

George_Savage

QuoteThis doesn't sound like the same DVD I have that was commercially released.There is just the one song from MMJ(OBH) on that one.

Update on this project - I sent it out to Jellyfish and Kory on Tuesday, so they'll have it soon, hopefully.   Kory's going to put it on the server for downloading and Jellyfish is going to offer up b&p's - I can also offer b&p's up to y'all.   And I can send another copy or two who can re-offer to the others who can't download.   It's a really well-done film; the only thing that I regret is that there's no MMJ interview and precious little footage (but what's there is great!).    Anyway, I'm on a big MMJ kick, it happens a lot (as you can relate to).    My granddaughter turns 11 on Monday, and while her mother (my daughter) is awesome, her musical tastes are undoubtedly horrific (not true, they're just different than mine - but Trace Adkins? come on!) - so I am doing my grandfatherly duties and sending her stuff that I like.   I made her an MMJ 'best-of' (which would really take four discs, not one!) and The Beatles, Belle and Sebastian, and The Mamas and the Papas.  So hopefully she'll like some of it, but she was into Britney Spears when she was four years old!   Oh well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink, right?     Nuff sed.

Low Dog
np: "and I want it soooo bad, it's the first thing I see when I wake"

aMD

I REALLY want to see this thing.  Jellyfish, George, somebody hook a brother up.  I've been trying to find this thing forever a long time now and it's killing me that it's so close but I still can't get my hands on it. >:(

George_Savage

QuoteI REALLY want to see this thing.  Jellyfish, George, somebody hook a brother up.  I've been trying to find this thing forever a long time now and it's killing me that it's so close but I still can't get my hands on it. >:(

Dylan, your copy was Louisville bound on Tuesday!   Hopefully you'll get it today.  I PM'd you just now, too.   It's a great film, really well-done.

Low Dog

aMD

Thanks George.  I'll stop freaking out now.   :-X

Jellyfish

I got my DVD today....thanks George,the audio & video is of great quality.It's def not the same as the commercially released one but made by the same producers(Superfly) and same director(Danny Clinch).It must have been a companion piece that was made with the DVD...there is a ton of Trey for you Phish fans....and the MMJ at the end is great.There are more interviews and backstage stuff than the other DVD.  

First five posts below with email will get a freebie of this DVD from me...after that I can do B&P's for anyone else.

BH

I have this on my Moxi (DVR) with no way to transfer it to DVD.  Someday, I'm going to lose it when the thing shoots craps so I would love to have a copy.  But since I have seen it already, if five other people ask, you can take me off the list.  Thanks for the offer Jellyfish.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

dragonboy

QuoteFirst five posts below with email will get a freebie of this DVD from me...after that I can do B&P's for anyone else.
I don't suppose you could send one of those freebie to Japan Jellyfish?
I know it's a bit of a stretch but no harm in asking: dragonboyis@hotmail.com
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.