Drive-By Truckers?

Started by bigger_rooty, Feb 10, 2004, 01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigger_rooty

What's everyone stance on Drive-By Truckers?  It seems to me like there'd be a lot of their fans amongst MMJ fans.  I think that it would be great if they toured together, that way I wouldn't have had to suffer through All Tomorrow's Parties before MMJ and Mofro before DBT.  Thx.
from this town, we'd escape
if we holler loud and make our way
we'd all live one big holiday.

wordawg

QuoteWhat's everyone stance on Drive-By Truckers?  It seems to me like there'd be a lot of their fans amongst MMJ fans.  .

Never heard of them. (Only just been told about GBV!) Give me a clue.
the future is Ginger

bigger_rooty

They're this southern rock type thing in the vein of MMJ's "One Big Holiday" or "Dancefloors".  Their debut album is a double disc concept album about Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Yes, you read that correctly.  They're a pretty kick-ass band, I reccomend their newer cd, Decoration Day.

dogandponyshow

Southern Rock Opera and their new Disc Decoration Day are solid.  In my spare time I am New West Records rep in Portland, OR and they are coming to town on Friday.  New West recently signed the Old 97's f.y.i and also have John Hiatt and other great acts.  I have seen them three times and it gets better and better.  Decoration Day made many top albums of the year for 2003 in different magazines.  If they come by your city, make a point to hit the show....it will be well worth it.

D.

wordawg

Thanks for that.  Eyes and ears are open.
the future is Ginger

Oz

Quotethat way I wouldn't have had to suffer through All Tomorrow's Parties before MMJ and Mofro before DBT.  Thx.

Err, what's that?
I'm ready when you are

my_evening_jacket

DBT's debut was not Southern Rock Opera - check out thier website for more info

http://www.drivebytruckers.com/discography.htm
shake some action

bigger_rooty

Err, what's that?

Heh, sorry, I abbreviate alot.  Long sentence short, the opening bands for My Morning Jacket and Drive-By Truckers both suck(ed), and I would rather watch the two of them together.

bigger_rooty

Hey Toogans,
Thanks for the reminder.  I had forgotten that DBT had those other albums...from my experience,though, they're hard to find, and Southern Rock Opera was their "Breakthrough" or first album to find major release, etc. Sorry.

my_evening_jacket

Southern Rock Opera certainly put them on the map - GanstaBilly is worth getting your hands on though.

A MMJ/DBT double-bill would be incredible.

How many days would it take to recover from that show?!?
shake some action

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteHow many days would it take to recover from that show?

As many as it took to recover from the Headliner's two show stand...a week, as I recall (sorta fuzzy now!)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

corey

Y'all,
I have a bunch of DBTs shows to trade (or B&P) if anyone wants to get a taste of them. I actually read a bunch about MMJ on the DBT Yahoo list before one of my friends gave me a couple of MMJ discs.
I put together a fan tribute CD a month or so ago for DBTs. We distribute it B&P style and it was a shitload of fun to do.

Anyway, I highly recommend them.
:)

dogandponyshow

Hit the DBT's on the 13th in Portland, OR. and it was outstanding.  Was right up front.  Those guys get it done.

D.

wordawg

Got the live album.  Noisy buggers who sound like they really enjoy themselves.  
That'll do nicely. ;D  
Thanks for the push in their direction.
the future is Ginger

corey

"Alabama Ass-whuppin" was recorded with the old line-up before they went for the 3 guitar rock. It's a great record, but is a little lacking if you compare it to some of the newer stuff. I have some good live shows if you'd like to trade... or B&P. Let me know. I'll be glad to hook you up.

olwiggum at yahoo dot com

deadguyale

Mr. White

I recorded this show. These are my videos with photo stills taken from the videos to supplement the lack of video in the first 32 minutes of the show. I used my TASCAM DR-05 to record the audio.

Drive-By Truckers Live in Louisville
Old Forester's Paristown Hall
September 14, 2019
Full Show
(Photos First 32 minutes & Live Video Rest of Show)

Setlist:

1. Birthday Boy

2. Happy Birthday to You
(Mildred J. Hill & Patty Hill cover)

3. When He's Gone

4. Shit Shots Count

5. Lookout Mountain

6. When the Pin Hits the Shell

7. Do It Yourself

8. Where the Devil Don't Stay

9. Tornadoes

10. Gravity's Gone