New American Music Union Festival

Started by true, May 17, 2008, 03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Something this good never happens in Pittsburgh! I haven't heard of many of the bands low on the list but you couldn't ask for better headliners.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

primushead

Damn...all the way in Pittsburgh.  I don't think I'll make that one.

ManNamedTruth

tickets are purchased, i'm so excited! I just wish MMJ was in the lineup, there is a gap between the Europe and US tour, just sayin'.

ManNamedTruth

Just got back from this earlier today, amazing time! I saw the following: Bob Dylan, Gnarls Barkley, Spoon, The Raconteurs, The Roots, The Black Keys, Black Mountain. Hard to pick a favorite, Black Keys, Gnarls Barkley, Raconteurs, and The Roots were all amazing. Wanted to see The Duke Spirit, but missed that. Spoon was good but not great, especially since they played after Gnarls Barkley, which didn't make sense. Two of the five people I went with hated Spoon and were giving them thumbs down and shit, I was very annoyed at them and even my other friends were too. I didn't even want to be next to them, but it was too crowded to walk away. I didn't catch any of the second stage, I was very tired by the time Dylan played as it was. Dylan didn't sound great but it was better than the last time-terrible venue. Anothony Keidis came out to talk to the crowd a couple times, he hinted that there will be another festival here next year. There were a bunch of cameras, this might get a DVD release.

EDIT:
Just wanted to add a few more things. I don't really like American Eagle or trendy clothing in general, but they did a great job with this festival:
They let Keidis have complete control of what bands he wanted to have play
Tickets were only 60 dollars, and half of that if you had student ID
They gave out free festival t-shits
The water was free, they gave out free water bottles to fill up the water
Bathrooms were adequate-no waiting in long lines

capt. scotty

as a lifetime speaker of pittsburghese, and living in PA my whole life until I started grad school in March, I was SOOO pissed when I saw this announced and knew Id be back in school, missing it by about 3 weeks. Im a huge Dylan fan and have never seen him (I dont care if he should be in a retirement home at this point), I love the Black Keys and Raconteurs/any band with J-White probably, and really like Gnarls

Im glad you got to attend though true

Just wondering bc Ive heard Gnarls isnt all that great live, what made it that good? Also, did they play mostly Odd Couple stuff, St Elsewhere stuff, even combo? any covers? As far as albums go, I actually preferred Odd Couple overall, but my 3 favorite songs are all on St.

Edit to Add - Hah, I forgot The Roots too...fuckin love them. Despite being a huge Bobby fan, I think if I had to choose 1 day I actually might have chosen rockin out with The Roots crew and the Keys instead of Dylan
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

Just wondering bc Ive heard Gnarls isnt all that great live, what made it that good? Also, did they play mostly Odd Couple stuff, St Elsewhere stuff, even combo? any covers? As far as albums go, I actually preferred Odd Couple overall, but my 3 favorite songs are all on St.

They were great, I don't know why anyone would think different. The band was tight, good energy, and did a good job recreating the sounds of the albums. Cee-Lo was really into it, he tripped and almost fell at one point. It was a good mix of the two. They covered Radiohead's Reckoner, amazing. I posted a video of them doing it in the youtube thread a couple weeks ago and then they play it at the show.
Have you seen The Roots before? This was my second time. The Roots don't really cover whole songs but will play parts. They started playing Immigrant Song and then slowed it down and turned it into a beat.  :o

Penny Lane

They were great, I don't know why anyone would think different. The band was tight, good energy, and did a good job recreating the sounds of the albums. Cee-Lo was really into it, he tripped and almost fell at one point. It was a good mix of the two. They covered Radiohead's Reckoner, amazing. I posted a video of them doing it in the youtube thread a couple weeks ago and then they play it at the show.
Have you seen The Roots before? This was my second time. The Roots don't really cover whole songs but will play parts. They started playing Immigrant Song and then slowed it down and turned it into a beat.  :o

my friends saw Gnarls last week and said they weren't that good live--he is a huge fan and was kind of surprised

true-this sounds like an awesome show, glad you had a good time. that lineup beats this all points west fest here by miles...!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ManNamedTruth

Good quality videos are up at the website. Check out the Gnarls Barkley one, I can't believe anyone would think they aren't good live. No Bob Dylan ones, I heard he refuses to be filmed.
http://www.ae.com/web/77e/music/festival/performances.jsp

capt. scotty

Actually, I have seen the "Roots" live, and it was a huge disappointment. It was Dec 30th, 2004 for a sold out show in the Illadelph, my friend from PSU already had tix with some of his friends from home, so I paid 70$ for a tix. The show starts off blazing, and then Blackthought leaves after 2 songs. The rest of the ENTIRE show is a bunch of no name rappers - the only ones Ive ever heard of were Aesop Rock, who I dont even like, and you know I know my hip hop True - rapping over the Roots crews'  for the next 2 hours. and it was hot as hell in there. I was more pissed/disappointed than any show Ive ever been to, which includes being forced to a DMB show basically (I caved in for J5)

However, it was made up on NYE by the old school funk of Maceo Parker and a rippin show by moe.

That show still haunts me though
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that - out of all places - how do they pull this shit in Philly?!?

The IASIP crew should do a show on it