Main Menu

Fleet Foxes

Started by DavidCrosby, Jul 05, 2008, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

Wow, I really have got some pull. ;D

That sucks though, I don't want to spend Fox Theater/Death Cab money.  I'm just not a big Death Cab fan and the Fleet Foxes will probably only get about 45 minutes.  Oh well, maybe I'll go anyway.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

DavidCrosby

listen to vinyl

Kris

Yeah, I want that on a t-shirt.

DavidCrosby

QuoteYeah, I want that on a t-shirt.

..yeah I am hoping that is some sort of merch table poster at their shows or something...
listen to vinyl

Kris

QuoteWow, I really have got some pull. ;D

That sucks though, I don't want to spend Fox Theater/Death Cab money.  I'm just not a big Death Cab fan and the Fleet Foxes will probably only get about 45 minutes.  Oh well, maybe I'll go anyway.

I hear you.  I'm a fan of DCFC's older albums, and I don't think i can pass up a chance to see the Foxes.

BH

From the Riverfront Times....

Fleet Foxes, which was making its St. Louis debut, seemed awestruck by the Fabulous Fox's ornate decorations. Early in its half-hour set, vocalist/guitarist Robin Pecknold said, "Does every building in St. Louis look like this? The Tomb Raider set? I want to live here." (Cue audience approval.) In turn, the audience fell silent for the Seattle quintet's jaw-dropping opening gig, enraptured by church-choir harmonies, campfire guitars and genial '70s percussion.

Although Fleet Foxes draws comparisons to My Morning Jacket and Band of Horses, its music thrives on simplicity, not bombast. The band members remain nearly still onstage -- save for drummer/percussionist J Tillman, a burly figure who's always in motion creating festive percussion accompaniment using tambourine, mallets and maracas. Breathtaking and angelic four-part harmonies incorporate rounds (an elementary school music class staple), while the band members – most of whom resembled forest elves or gnomes, thanks to haircut and delicate facial features – utilized minimal, zen-like guitar plucking.

The cavernous theater created an environment of natural reverb that perfectly suited Fleet Foxes' rustic folk. Several a cappella interludes were riveting; the CSNY-like "Mykonos" and "White Winter Hymnal," which incorporated tinges of Wall of Sound influence, were other highlights. Had the Beach Boys grown up in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, they might have evolved into Fleet Foxes.

Still, this music wouldn't emanate so much emotional warmth if the band took itself too seriously. And it certainly doesn't. At one point someone in the crowd yelled out, "We love you, Fleet Foxes!" The band sort of laughed and said "that would be awesome if one of the faces on the wall" had said that instead – an aside which spawned in-band jokes and giggling regarding the absurd idea of the Fox's decorations springing to life to comment.

Pecknold – whose olive green cardigan sweater, plaid shirt and slightly stooped posture gave him the air of a wizened old man -- seemed humbled and bashful at the genuine standing ovation his band received after the goosebump-inducing final song, "Blue Ridge Mountains." Squinting at the audience, he seemed unsure how to react at the adoration heaped upon the band – a sweet, sincere reaction to have, even though Fleet Foxes deserved every bit of acclaim.

"Sun It Rises"
"Ragged Wood"
"English House"
"White Winter Hymnal"
"Mykonos"
"Blue Ridge Mountains"
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Kris

that was a great show.

Wardog

Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away

tomEisenbraun

Pretty cool interview here with John "Crooked Toof" Norris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1911TUQTnbg&feature=related

(watch all three parts)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

It must have been a certain bearded fellow that we all know and love that made it such a special show. ;)

Interview from Pitchfork....

But it's been a blessing, being able to do this in this way. We played a show in Athens, and it was weird. Everybody was on our side. We were in it with them. There was not a single negative feeling during that entire hour and a half. Everyone was really excited.

Full interview....

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/146426-interview-fleet-foxes

tomEisenbraun

QuoteIt must have been a certain bearded fellow that we all know and love that made it such a special show. ;)

Interview from Pitchfork....

But it's been a blessing, being able to do this in this way. We played a show in Athens, and it was weird. Everybody was on our side. We were in it with them. There was not a single negative feeling during that entire hour and a half. Everyone was really excited.

Full interview....

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/146426-interview-fleet-foxes

Hahahaha, they were so jazzed about that show! They loved us, loved the town and the way that, when their gear got screwed up, everyone in the theater were calling people cross-town to get it fixed or get them taken care. They made a few comments abotu moving here and my buddy, later on in the show, yelled out "Move here!" to them and Robin gave this look our direction like "hmmm, yes. now that's a thought..." and it was just this joyous unbelievably wonderful show from all sides. I love the way these guys talk with the crowd and how thankful they are for all the fans.

Ran into Josh Tillman (the drummer and solo artist, too, whom you should check out: www.myspace.com/jtillman ) before the show and thanked him for the new energy he brought to the band ont he drum kit and it was so cool to see him light up when I knew his name as he was walking by. Stopped to talk for a couple minutes and was just genuinely cool. Ran into Casey (keys/mandolin) and Christian (bass/guitar) afterward and they were so awesome as well. Casey did his best to remember our names and they were all just such warm people to interact with. I wouldn't doubt that Robin and Skye are the same way.

We definitely did our best to make it the best audience they could play to, and they returned the favor by giving us an absolutely wonderful show. GA Theatre was such a wonderful venue for them, and it paid off so so much.

Thoroughly love these guys so much.

BH

tomEisenbraun

dragonboy

SNL Jan 17th

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/148375-fleet-foxes-to-softly-rock-saturday-night-live

They'll play "Blue Ridge Mountains" and "Mykonos" on the show's January 17 episode.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MarkW

A mixed (?!?) review of Tillman's latest here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/11/cd-reviews

The Animal Collective review is more positive.  Ho Hum.  Grauniad/Observer all over, that is.  ;) :-?
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

tomEisenbraun

Good Lord, rather dull? I think his sense of harmony is so beautiful and, at times, rather haunting. You can't really compare his output to the Foxes, since they are essentially different artists, different songwriters, what-have-you. I like his stuff in a totally different way.

Bob Loblaw

I bought their self titled album based on a Genius recommendation from iTunes.  I can see the comparison btwn them and MMJ, as long as it's a "they're trying to rip MMJ off" comparison. j/k

In all seriousness, the more I listen to them the better I like them and the more I understand them and see the differences.

However, I can't help but listen to Ragged Wood and think of Golden...

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI bought their self titled album based on a Genius recommendation from iTunes.  I can see the comparison btwn them and MMJ, as long as it's a "they're trying to rip MMJ off" comparison. j/k

In all seriousness, the more I listen to them the better I like them and the more I understand them and see the differences.

However, I can't help but listen to Ragged Wood and think of Golden...

Really? That one actually sounds more like a tribute to M. Ward's "Chinese Translation" than anything else to me. Could just be the drums, though?

wolof7

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee