Nick Cave Appreciation Thread

Started by ratsprayer, Oct 01, 2005, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratsprayer

hes the master of macabre, or whatever the hell you want call him, but hes fucking great.  cave is definitely one of the best lyricists and storytellers in modern music and will go down in the books that way, at least i think.  he does generally follow the same schtick his whole career, but theres still plenty of variety and progress in his work.  im one of the most anti-religion people out there, but his bellowings about god, the bible, jesus etc. are some of his best songs.  

i know ive seen lots of admiration for him around, but who else immerses their dark soul in the crazy mind of nick cave?

dragonboy

You know I do.

That man simply hasn't made a bad record - fact!

I think Let Love In is still may fav.

Have you read Bad Seed: The Biography of Nick Cave by Ian Johnston? Out of date now but a great read at the time.

Ever seen him live?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

hmmm, i didnt care for nocturma overall, but it did have some great songs.  ive read 'and the ass saw the angel' which i say he had a thesaurus stuck up his ass while writing.  ill have to check out that book though.  ive heard its a sexual experience to see him live.  nick cave & the bad seeds are in my top 3 acts to see live, although i couldnt tell you the other 2.  

i think FROM HER TO ETERNITY still holds as my favourite.  NO MORE SHALL WE PART still blows my mind, and i think ABATTOIR BLUES is one of his single best discs of material, ever.

dragonboy

Whilst I agree that Nocturama is possibly Nick's worst I still wouldn't call it a bad record.

I read an interview with him in Mojo earlier this year (maybe it was late last year?). Apparently he puts on a suit and goes to his office to write songs as if it were a regular 9 to 5 job.
I thought that was cool.  8)

I don't have the B-sides box set yet, any good?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

QuoteWhilst I agree that Nocturama is possibly Nick's worst I personaly wouldn't call it a bad record.

I read an interview with him in Mojo earlier this year (maybe it was late last year?). Apparently he puts on a suit and goes to his office to write songs as if it were a regular 9 to 5 job.
I thought that was cool.  8)

I don't have the B-sides box set yet, any good?

b-sides collection is very good, still working through it all though.  its cheap too, i paid $24.99, and its a full 3cd set.

dragonboy

Just ordered it from amazon.co.uk - only 10pounds!

ratsprayer

do you have the DVD collection of all his videos as well?  thats definitely something you need, if u dont have it!

dragonboy

Really? I'm not such a big fan of music video DVDs.
I only buy them if they have other stuff like live footage, interviews or documentaries etc.
Any extras?

ratsprayer

QuoteReally? I'm not such a big van of music video DVDs.
I only buy them if they have other stuff like live footage, interviews or documentaries etc.
Any extras?

there are a few little interviews with the band about some of the videos, still worth getting, i think.

Chills

QuoteYou know I do.

That man simply hasn't made a bad record - fact!

I think Let Love In is still may fav.

Have you read Bad Seed: The Biography of Nick Cave by Ian Johnston? Out of date now but a great read at the time.

Ever seen him live?

Yeah, saw him live last year. What a show. What a presence that man has. He went on stage and it's electricity from the start to the end. The Bad Seeds are really big sounding, a real wall of sound.
The little gospel choir added a beautiful touch, also in old classics like Do You Love Me.
My favorite moment was when they tapped that gong to start Red Right Hand and the crowd went nuts.
Oh and they ended with The Mercy Seat, damn cool.

I think Live Seeds is my favorite album, because it has that kick-ass version of Papa Won't Leave You Henry.

The acoustic stuff on the b-sides box is really impressive. City Of Refuge, The Mercy Seat, Jack The Ripper... Brilliant versions.

King Ink rules! Fact, not opinion.

dragonboy

That's so cool - what I'd give to see Nick & the Bad Seeds live!

I know I posted this before but did anybody ever see him in the movie Johnny Suede? Nick's character Freak Storm gives Brad Pitt's Johnny Suede some bad chicken!
That alone is funny!
Cool Movie  8)

Chills

QuoteThat's so cool - what I'd give to see Nick & the Bad Seeds live!

I know I posted this before but did anybody ever see him in the movie Johnny Suede? Nick's character Freak Storm gives Brad Pitt Johnny Suede some bad chicken!
That alone is funny!
Cool Movie  8)

Haha, I remember you posted that before. I'll certainly look out for that  :)

ratsprayer

King Ink rules! Fact, not opinion.

i like the way you think, chills.   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dee.

there are a few little interviews with the band about some of the videos, still worth getting, i think.

I have that.  I really enjoyed watching it, considering that I had never seen a single Nick Cave video before then.  Okay, maybe one or two.. I think?

The God is In The House dvd is great, too.  It's always nice to bring a Cave concert into your living room, wouldn't you say?  He is high atop my concert-must-sees list.  The band rocks, oh my goodness, I could imagine..

dragonboy

My B-sides arrived yesterday.
Haven't had chance to listen to it yet but am very excited.

LaurieBlue

Coincidently, on the ride back from Atlanta, my friend had her IPod on and one of the artists she had playing was Nick Cave.  I'm not all that familiar with him, but know that I've liked every thing I've heard (mostly on XM Radio), and whatever she was playing was perfect for the long ride home.

Laurie

Chills

QuoteCoincidently, on the ride back from Atlanta, my friend had her IPod on and one of the artists she had playing was Nick Cave.  I'm not all that familiar with him, but know that I've liked every thing I've heard (mostly on XM Radio), and whatever she was playing was perfect for the long ride home.

Laurie

Got you some songs that would make a fine introductionary disc. Kind of a mix between his different styles.

stranger than kindness
the carny
city of refuge
the ship song
the mercy seat (live seeds)
papa won't leave you Henry (live seeds)
Jack the ripper (live seeds or acoustic from b-sides box)
new morning (live seeds)
red right hand
the curse of millhaven
into my arms
are you the one that I've been waiting for
oh my lord
there she goes my beautiful world
carry me
breathless
saint huck
song of joy

Chills

Just revisited this song...

Song Of Joy

Have mercy on me, sir
Allow me to impose on you
I have no place to stay
And my bones are cold right through
I will tell you a story
Of a man and his family
And I swear that it is true

Ten years ago I met a girl named Joy
She was a sweet and happy thing
Her eyes were bright blue jewels
And we were married in the spring
I had no idea what happiness and little love could bring
Or what life had in store
But all things move toward their end
All things move toward their their end
On that you can be sure

La la la la la la la la la la

Then one morning I awoke to find her weeping
And for many days to follow
She grew so sad and lonely
Became Joy in name only
Within her breast there launched an unnamed sorrow
And a dark and grim force set sail
Farewell happy fields
Where joy forever dwells
* Hail horrors hail *

Was it an act of contrition or some awful premonition
As if she saw into the heart of her final blood-soaked night
Those lunatic eyes, that hungry kitchen knife
Ah, I see sir, that I have your attention!
Well, could it be?
How often I've asked that question
Well, then in quick succession
We had babies, one, two, three

We called them Hilda, Hattie and Holly
They were their mother's children
Their eyes were bright blue jewels
And they were quiet as a mouse
There was no laughter in the house
No, not from Hilda, Hattie or Holly
"No wonder", people said, "poor mother Joy's so melancholy"
Well, one night there came a visitor to our little home
I was visiting a sick friend
I was a doctor then
Joy and the girls were on their own

Joy had been bound with electrical tape
In her mouth a gag
She'd been stabbed repeatedly
And stuffed into a sleeping bag
In their very cots my girls were robbed of their lives
Method of murder much the same as my wife's
Method of murder much the same as my wife's
It was midnight when I arrived home
Said to the police on the telephone
Someone's taken four innocent lives

They never caught the man
He's still on the loose
It seems he has done many many more
Quotes John Milton on the walls in the victim's blood
The police are investigating at tremendous cost
In my house he wrote "his red right hand"
That, I'm told is from Paradise Lost
The wind round here gets wicked cold
But my story is nearly told
I fear the morning will bring quite a frost

And so I've left my home
I drift from land to land
I am upon your step and you are a family man
Outside the vultures wheel
The wolves howl, the serpents hiss
And to extend this small favour, friend
Would be the sum of earthly bliss
Do you reckon me a friend?
The sun to me is dark
And silent as the moon
Do you, sir, have a room?
Are you beckoning me in?

-----------------------------------

dragonboy

Could have put this in the Grinderman thread I guess but thought I'd dig this one up instead.

I had no idea that this 2CD/DVD set had been released, anyone have it?

http://www.amazon.com/Abattoir-Blues-Tour-2CD%2B2DVD-Seeds/dp/B000N3SSP8/ref=sr_1_1/002-0542802-7356822?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1185973697&sr=1-1

MarkW

No - it had totally passed me by.  What a great selection of tracks.  It's now on my wish list...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side