What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

he.who.forgets

My most recent shows were the Black Keys on 12/3 and Cold War Kids on 12/8. Got JJ Grey & Mofro coming up next week.

ralph

Just got back from a kick-ass Built To Spill show. Lots of interesting song choices like Virginia Reel Around The Fountain and The Weather to go with the old faithfuls like Carry The Zero and I Would Hurt A Fly. Rock n Roll at it's finest. A great way to kick off 2011's gig going exploits...

\m/ - Rock on!!!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ophidiophobia

Flaming Lips last night. I love the energy of a Lips' show. The set before midnight was very upbeat and rocking. I stood in front of a speaker and I could feel my clothes shake when it got loud. They played Soft Bulletin after midnight, and by then the crowd had really mellowed out. Wayne took time to tell about the writing process of certain songs. I was kinda on the fence about going this year but I made the right choice. I'll be back to rock out with the Lips for NYE 2012!

capt. scotty

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Jan 01, 2011, 11:36 AM
Flaming Lips last night. I love the energy of a Lips' show. The set before midnight was very upbeat and rocking. I stood in front of a speaker and I could feel my clothes shake when it got loud. They played Soft Bulletin after midnight, and by then the crowd had really mellowed out. Wayne took time to tell about the writing process of certain songs. I was kinda on the fence about going this year but I made the right choice. I'll be back to rock out with the Lips for NYE 2012!

Wait - they played ALL of Soft Bulletin in the post-midnight set?!! Thats sweet if so...When I saw them last year I think they only played 1 song off of it
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

woodnymph

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 01, 2011, 05:19 PM

Wait - they played ALL of Soft Bulletin in the post-midnight set?!! Thats sweet if so...When I saw them last year I think they only played 1 song off of it
Wow I can't wait to hear if they played the whole album!! Either way, a Lips' NYE show would be a fantastic way to ring in a new year!!!

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ophidiophobia

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 01, 2011, 05:58 PM

Wait - they played ALL of Soft Bulletin in the post-midnight set?!! Thats sweet if so...When I
saw them last year I think they only played 1 song off of it

Wow I can't wait to hear if they played the whole album!! Either way, a Lips' NYE show would be a fantastic way to ring in a new year!!!
Yeah they played the whole album last night starting around 12:30. Wayne said that some of the songs had never been played lived before last night. They played a short hourish-set before midnight and then Soft Bulletin was played to start the new year.

woodnymph

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Jan 01, 2011, 07:33 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 01, 2011, 05:58 PM

Wait - they played ALL of Soft Bulletin in the post-midnight set?!! Thats sweet if so...When I
saw them last year I think they only played 1 song off of it

Yeah they played the whole album last night starting around 12:30. Wayne said that some of the songs had never been played lived before last night. They played a short hourish-set before midnight and then Soft Bulletin was played to start the new year.

Woooooowwwwwww..... sweet manna....
feeeeling yoursellfffffff... disinnnntegrateeee.....  and puttttting allll the vegetables awayyyyyy  :P  High five on a great NYE show!!!

ALady

The set is streaming on Rolling Stone's site right now.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

woodnymph

Quote from: ALady on Jan 02, 2011, 10:57 PM
The set is streaming on Rolling Stone's site right now.

Aghhh I might be too lateeeee.... trying to watch though, thanks for the heads' up!!!

Ruckus

JRoddy on NYE was spectacular.  They didn't start til the stroke of midnight when I "think" they opened with Don't Break the Needle.  I also enjoyed local rapper Mickey Free opening.

Made it up to Philly on NYD to see the Drive By Truckers for the 2nd time.  It was great to be able to hang out with Ms. Penny and catch a rockin' show.  Admittedly I've never been too drawn to their albums but I loved them live again and though I don't envision myself spinning their discography anytime soon, I'll probably make it a point to catch 'em whenever they are in my neck of the woods.  Got to also catch up with an old high school buddy and eat two cheese steaks within 6 hours of each other.  I was proud.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

br00ke

3 nights @ MSG with Phish ... taste-a-rrific

Penny Lane

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 03, 2011, 10:04 PM

my hero---and those shows were probably longer than the 3 DBT shows--!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ALady

So jell, Brooke!  What were the highlights?

Keys on New Years Day was the perfect way to ring in the New Year.  On the rail with my buddies, face completely melted, looking back at a sea of people...when did the Keys get so big??   :o

capt. scotty

Quote from: ALady on Jan 04, 2011, 01:01 PM

Keys on New Years Day was the perfect way to ring in the New Year.  On the rail with my buddies, face completely melted, looking back at a sea of people...when did the Keys get so big??   :o

About 17.6 months ago
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

br00ke

highlights for me:

1st nite: the Run Like an Antelope > Tweezer Reprise encore

2nd nite: Sand was the hotness as well as Ghost, You Enjoy Myself -> Manteca -> You Enjoy Myself. for midnight i found the Meatstick too long (that's what she said!!), over 18 minutes  :P they brought the hotdog back though and i loved it ..

3rd nite: the 2nd set opening with Crosseyed and Painless > Twist > Simple

all three nights were pretty solid though and i had an absolute blast ;D ;D

woodnymph

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 03, 2011, 10:04 PM
Sweet jumpin jahoosa-fitz! That had to be a fandango of a time! That's a way to start a new year!!  Have you reported about your trip to Paree?? I haven't been on the forum in a lil while, I'm sure you had a bon moment!!!  ;D

woodnymph

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 04, 2011, 08:15 PM

highlights for me:

1st nite: the Run Like an Antelope > Tweezer Reprise encore

2nd nite: Sand was the hotness as well as Ghost, You Enjoy Myself -> Manteca -> You Enjoy Myself. for midnight i found the Meatstick too long (that's what she said!!), over 18 minutes  :P they brought the hotdog back though and i loved it ..

3rd nite: the 2nd set opening with Crosseyed and Painless > Twist > Simple

all three nights were pretty solid though and i had an absolute blast ;D ;D

Hahahaah AWESOME PIC! Wheeeewwww

ALady

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 04, 2011, 04:48 PM

About 17.6 months ago

They sold almost 15,000 tickets here last weekend.

I knew they were getting big.  I didn't realize they were  that big!

Brooke, the hotdog!  I can't stop laughing   ;D Sounds like a great run!

e_wind

The Black Keys Chicago NYE run was great. NYE was a blast, but NYD was better musically in my opinion.

Last night I went to my first, and most likely last, hip hop show. I saw Wu Tang Clan. I'm not a fan of hip hop, I just went with some friends. It was acually fun and a... different... experience, I just don't care for it enough to spend the money again.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...