Main Menu

Deer Tick

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Hey Wolof.  Did you see that Jonny Dorndawg and Ian O'Neill are playing a free show in Providence tonight?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Ruckus thanks for the heads up.
     I am definitely gonna do my best to make that.  ;D

Still Hopin for a last minute Deertick NYE show announcement!

Can you make it to any of the John/Ian run?
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

;D  I assumed you already knew about it.  It just came across my facebook feed so thought I'd post it.  When and where else are they playing?

wolof7

John McCauley and Ian O'Neil of Deer Tick have announced some 2011 tour dates for the east coast. Most of these venues are pretty small so this should be a great tour.

JOHN MCCAULEY AND IAN O'NEIL TOUR DATES

Fri-Jan-14 Boston, MA Middle East Upstairs
Sat-Jan-15 Providence, RI Met Café
Sun-Jan-16 Northampton, MA Iron Horse
Wed-Jan-19 New York, NY City Winery
Thu-Jan-20 New Haven, CT Daniel Street
Fri-Jan-21 Philadelphia, PA First Unitarian Church Santuary
Sat-Jan-22 York, PA Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center
Sun-Jan-23 Washington, DC Rock and Roll Hotel

Ruckus

Hey thanks Wolof!

Either Philly or DC is doable but with football playoffs and all, it might be a little tricky.  Definitely inform us of how the local gigs were.

wolof7

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 19, 2011, 07:49 AM
Deer Tick - Bring It On Home To Me (Sam Cooke) Madrid 1-Feb-2011

Loved it!  Thanks for posting Wolof.  Was familiar with McCauley's drumming and piano skills as well as O'Neil's pipes (I loved the track when he sang last time I saw 'em) but I had no idea big Ryan can sing like that.  Yeah he was clownin' a bit but there was some legit soul behind that voice.

What a multifaceted, talented band!

slimsloslider

ian and john did this at their show in dc, plus the replacements' "can't hardly wait" and an ironic "all apologies." (i think john's gettin a little tired of the cobain comparisons). ian led off with a cover of bob dylan's "he was a friend of mine." it was an exceptional show. wish y'all could've been there. maybe you were

wolof7

Here's a cool interview with Ian. Looks like we will have another album within the next year or so.

http://www.spinner.com/2011/03/01/deer-tick-sxsw-top-100/

Ruckus

Quote from: slimsloslider on Feb 22, 2011, 02:23 PM

ian and john did this at their show in dc, plus the replacements' "can't hardly wait" and an ironic "all apologies." (i think john's gettin a little tired of the cobain comparisons). ian led off with a cover of bob dylan's "he was a friend of mine." it was an exceptional show. wish y'all could've been there. maybe you were

I don't know slim.  They still bust out their Deervana thing and it seems like the set at SXSW was off the hook.  So funny to see thirty some year olds letting loose in the crowd like this! ;D ;D  There's also the great part during the Lithium video posted below where some chick in the crowd is like, "they're so bad ass."  Dude's like, "me?"  Chick's like, "well you too, but them."

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/03/deervana_aka_de.html

Deervana is playing Brooklyn Bowl in June

Ruckus

Saw on their facebook that they had tracked 10 tunes for their new album including a metal track that their drummer sings.  Because Black Dirt Sessions felt like a transitional album to me,  I can't wait to hear what direction they go in whenever they decide to release the next album.

I hope that those going to the Met tonight have a rockin' ole time! :beer:

mahg33ta

I still plan to go tonight, but I was re-thinking.  The Met website says JOHNNY CORNDAWG with Michael Hurley, deer tick in small letters.   See the top left corner of
http://www.themetri.com/

Surely Deer Tick isn't opening for Johnny Corndawg?!?  And I thought it was the other way around last time I looked a week ago.   I will have to call the venue and see... not sure I will make the trek if I'm just getting an opening act.

If anyone else from the forum is going, please seek me out and say hi.   I'll be in an it still moves shirt.

wolof7

I am trying to make this happen but have the same feelings Mahg33ta. Actually, I would definitely go but I am swamped with work as I am transitioning jobs and may have to extend my workday into tonight  :thumbsdown:

I was wondering about the order as well. I do think Corndawg is headlining and that Deertick is probably supporting their friend/trying out some new stuff. If anyone finds out a definite set order, please post.

I am not missing the J Roddy Show and will be getting my tix this weekend although I'm sure it won't sellout. Wondering if the Independent Man is John M? There is no band website or myspace and I've never heard of them/him. The independent man is the man who sits atop the RI state house tho so I'm assuming the act is local.

Murph

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
Quote from: slimsloslider on Feb 22, 2011, 02:23 PM

I don't know slim.  They still bust out their Deervana thing and it seems like the set at SXSW was off the hook.  So funny to see thirty some year olds letting loose in the crowd like this! ;D ;D  There's also the great part during the Lithium video posted below where some chick in the crowd is like, "they're so bad ass."  Dude's like, "me?"  Chick's like, "well you too, but them."

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/03/deervana_aka_de.html

Deervana is playing Brooklyn Bowl in June

I've known about this show for awhile but waited until now to try to buy tickets.  SOLD OUT, didnt see that coming ecspecially since it's billed as a "Deervana" show.

mahg33ta

FYI to any that care (maybe just Wolof at this point) - Deer Tick is OPENING tonight - on stage around 9 pm - setlist 30 - 40 mins... according to the venue.

I think I'm going.   Bummer that'll be 30 minutes, but I'm jonesing for some live music, and at least I'll be in bed at a reasonable hour :-\

wolof7

thanks for the info mahg33ta but I'm prob sittin this one out for the reasons stated above, just got too much goin on tonight. I've seen the tick a million times and considering it'll take longer to drive there than the set will last only for me to try and make it back home to finish up some work, tonight is one I'll have to sit out....I know, excuses excuses. Have fun  :beer:

You still considering J Roddy?

mahg33ta

So I did indeed make it there - and got my first taste of Deer Tick live.
The plan was a 45 minute drive there and back, catch the 40 min Deer Tick setlist, and be home by 10:30.  My wingman bailed on me but I pressed on.  Boy did the plan get f-ed.

First opener was Michael Hurley.   Wasn't expecting that!   He was decent and enjoyable... frankly didn't know much about him, but wiki'd him today... pretty damn impressive for a 70 yr old... his lyrics that I could catch were pretty funny, and he's definitely a character.   Saw one review of him called a "poor man's Jimmy Buffett" and that's not too far off, with a much bluesier edge.

Next on ... Johnny Corndawg ... (aka The Headliner according to both the website and when I called the box office) - Hurley played an hour (!) and Corndawg came on at 10.   WTF?   At this point I was committed, so of course had to stay, but realized I was in for a late night.   Corndawg was... interesting.   he's so darn sincere I don't know if it's a straight-faced act or this is who he is.   But the crowd loved it and it was certainly entertaining.

Deer Tick came on around 11 and played for an hour and a half.   Definitely worth the wait.   The place was rocking, everyone was really into it, seemed VERY intoxicated - maybe that's typical at Deer Tick or maybe I noticed it because I usually am too but was sober last night...   Reminds me how much I like small bars with the crowd interaction, unscripted fun including goofs and start-overs, etc... way more interesting than seeing some big band play a 17k arena but put on basically a highly choreographed broadway show.   Loved that they played a ROCKIN Authority Song, mellencamp cover – made me feel old to realize ½ the people around me (college age) didn't know it.   
They also mentioned that they were currently in the studio recording, and that this one-off gig was an attempt to play some new stuff to a home crowd.   So, 4 of the songs were brand new – to me as a first timer, I'd have liked to see a few more of the "oldies".   Still, it was neat to hear them for the first time... the first new song, perhaps called "starting over" was a song they recorded THAT afternoon at the studio so as he said, that's as new a song as you'll ever hear besides improv.
The last new song ("Let's go to the Bar") was a real rocker – reminded me of "I Wanna be sedated".
Ruckus had warned me to get psyched for Mange but wasn't prepared for how chaotic the place got.   The pit turned crazy which included me since I was one deep from the stage.   I felt lucky to get out without injury.   John McC was drop-kicking open beer cans into the crowd.   One came whizzing back and nailed him in the head.   Another, which was a fastball not a blooper, hit the backdrop above the drummer's head and exploded.   Much stage-diving occurred.   Stage got decimated – guitar thrown to ground, drum kit knocked over.

No idea why the website and box office both said Deer Tick was first.   I probably would not have gone if I had known they weren't playing til 11, but glad in retrospect I did as I got 90 mins of Deer Tick instead of 40.   Late night though.   
Setlist:

Easy
Choir of Angels
New Song (starting over?) w/ Corndawg
Ashamed
New Song (Love is a Funny Word)
Baltimore Blues
Now It's Your Turn
New Song (Ms K?)
Authority Song (Mellencamp cover)
Diamond Ring (solo)
New Song (Let's go to the Bar?)
Be Kind To Me (Michael Hurley cover)
Mange

Ruckus

Wow!  Awesome review gh33ta!  Makes me jealous and reminds me of how much I love them live.  They are an amazing cover band with quite an expansive repertoire and they always throw you a curveball.  It wouldn't have been rock n' roll if your plan didn't get totally f'd! ;D. There's no way I would have survived the pit sober.  I'm surprised they didn't play that Middle Brother track that Corndawg penned.

I'm starting to feel fortunate that I saw them when I have because it really seems like the 1st album is becoming 'rare' but the new stuff you described sounds exciting.

Don't miss JRoddy if you can help it. 8)

wolof7

Thanks for the review. Definitely bummed I missed out but weeknight shows have become a hard thing for this 9-5er (and beyond). Knowing the tick, I figured even a 9pm settime didnt seem definite. I am prepared, however, for J Roddy and am ready to go all night :beer:

Deertick are in fact usually drunk...At least MacCauley. It's a problem for some but he really embodies the rock n roll lifestyle of yore. He seems like a smart dude, hopefully it won't get him into too much trouble down the road, however a little bit o trouble is what rock n roll is all about, ain't it?.  Awesome you got to hear the new stuff. They are really just a fun ass band to see live, love when they do Authority Song, and Mange is f**king crazy.

...they are awesome guys too...I have a small connection to the band as I went to HS with Chris Ryan, he was a year behind me but I was good friends with his best friend at the time, he was in all of my HS gf's gifted classes, they were supersmart and nerdy :P. He would frequent my ultimate frisbee club I started with my friends, really nice guy. My fiancee was good friends with Chris' roomate from 05-07 so we reconnected a bit at that time (in fact one night, she drunkenly kicked down their apt. door, long story).
....One night we were all heading out to a party from this apt. and I briefly caught a glimpse of Chris and John playing guitar in the kitchen with a near-completed bottle of Jack Daniels playing a song which would come to be known as Ashamed. No embellishment on this, I wasn't too interested by this scene as whenever I ran into Chris he was playing music.  In high School he was in a band 'Ophelia' and they were awesome, played a few of our dances. Had I known they were gonna form a super awesome band, I woulda stuck around longer... I've run into MacCauley several times since and he is super nice guy and always seems to give his love to the fans.

Anyone know when that Deertick Doc will see the light of day? It was made pre- Ian O Neil so it may be a bit dated at this point.

Ruckus

Mahg33ta, I just figure McCauley was doing Hurley and Corndawg a favor by announcing they were the opener for a hometown 10 dollar show, essentially guaranteeing a full house for them for exposure.

Awesome story about Ashamed Wolof!