Currently Listening To...

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

On my fourth of fifth listen today.  I've never been much of a fan, 'cause I find Colin Meloy's voice really grating and their subject matter a bit too quirky/twee/affected, but this is pushing all my buttons.  You can really hear Peter Buck's hand in the record, it sounds like the product of an oddly sedate three-way between Peter, Neil Young and Gary Louris.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Honest Man

currently in rotation..................My Morning Jacket.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

ALady

Ruckus

Quote from: ALady on Jan 04, 2011, 01:03 PM
On my fourth of fifth listen today.  I've never been much of a fan, 'cause I find Colin Meloy's voice really grating and their subject matter a bit too quirky/twee/affected, but this is pushing all my buttons.  You can really hear Peter Buck's hand in the record, it sounds like the product of an oddly sedate three-way between Peter, Neil Young and Gary Louris.

Alright guys...I haven't listened to them in a few years but I'll check it out ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ALady

Check it out 'cause it's awkward ;)

I tried to listen to it again today; couldn't do it.  Kind of sick of it already.

wolof7

Quote from: ALady on Jan 04, 2011, 01:03 PM
I've never been much of a fan, 'cause I find Colin Meloy's voice really grating and their subject matter a bit too quirky/twee/affected, but this is pushing all my buttons. 

I've never been a fan for all these reasons...Tried to listen bc of all the stated alt-country influence; the music sounded ok but I'd rather listen to Whiskeytown or early Wilco rather than listen to that insufferable voice.

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Jaimoe

I really can't stand the early Decemberists, and its because of the way Colin Meloy sings with that pompous put-on accent. However, I found some of their last album pretty good - the harder edged guitar grooves sound good. I'll give this new album a spin at some point; I hear Colin has toned-down the accent.

bowl of soup

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 01, 2011, 10:45 AM
Quote from: ralph on Dec 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
The Church - untitled #23

Recommended to me by my local record store guy. He described it as a mix of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, The Soft Bulletin and OK Computer. If you're a fan of any of those records then this is definitely worth checking out. It's a pretty stunning album...
I will check it out Ralph.  I remember them being on the World Cafe or some other public radio programming and liking what I heard though I sorely despised their name.  They've got quite an expansive discography and I hear their live shows are great.

Man the Church is really all over the place.  Starfish is a really great album, but the rest of their output is here and there.  I saw them in Miami in 88 or 89 and the show lierally went on for like 5 hours.  For 2 hours it was the best show that I have ever seen, the remaining three was some attempt to redefine jam-band, psychedlic, progressive rock.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 01, 2011, 10:43 AM
Quote from: weeniebeenie on Dec 31, 2010, 01:17 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 30, 2010, 10:44 AM
Quote from: Crispy on Dec 30, 2010, 10:29 AM
Quote from: FiddleCastro on Dec 30, 2010, 03:40 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 29, 2010, 08:12 PM
Got my ass kicked at work today but managed to get through two full listens of Quadrophenia.  Hadn't given it a listen in a year or so.  Awesomeness 8)  Entwistle is the man!
My favorite album of all time. Rock On Mr. Ruckus
Oh man, thanks for this reminder! Gonna have to give the soundtrack a spin when I get home too. Just watched The Kids Are Alright the other day -- lots of Who time machine goodness lately.
What can you not say about them?!  Ooh, which reminds me.  Time to go make another thread. ;D
This is a strange coincidence as Quadrophenia is on TV tonight.
I love Johns Bass in The Real Me. Insane. :o
So right Weenie.  I love him on that as well.  It's a classic example of Pete and John exchanging roles with Townsend being a straight rhythm guy while Entwistle noodles in the higher octaves playing lead bass.  Sweetness!

The soundtrack version is Moon-less. Kenny Jones filled in since Moonie had already started playing drums in Satan's band.

ralph

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 06, 2011, 04:09 PM
I really can't stand the early Decemberists, and its because of the way Colin Meloy sings with that pompous put-on accent. However, I found some of their last album pretty good - the harder edged guitar grooves sound good. I'll give this new album a spin at some point; I hear Colin has toned-down the accent.

I love Colin's voice and I dont think the accent it put on. You can heat it in his voice when talking. But I admit that it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea! And anyone who writes an 8 minute sea-shanty revenge song is OK by me!!!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ralph

Quote from: bowl of soup on Jan 06, 2011, 04:48 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 01, 2011, 10:45 AM
Quote from: ralph on Dec 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
The Church - untitled #23

Recommended to me by my local record store guy. He described it as a mix of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, The Soft Bulletin and OK Computer. If you're a fan of any of those records then this is definitely worth checking out. It's a pretty stunning album...
I will check it out Ralph.  I remember them being on the World Cafe or some other public radio programming and liking what I heard though I sorely despised their name.  They've got
quite an expansive discography and I hear their live shows are great.

Man the Church is really all over the place.  Starfish is a really great album, but the rest of their output is here and there.  I saw them in Miami in 88 or 89 and the show lierally went on
for like 5 hours.  For 2 hours it was the best show that I have ever seen, the remaining three was some attempt to redefine jam-band, psychedlic, progressive rock.

I'd avoid the next tour then if you're not in for a long night as they're planning to play untitled #23, Preist=Aura and Starfish each night in their entirety. That would be pretty awesome but it's only a US tour at the moment...

Crispy

Quote from: ralph on Jan 06, 2011, 05:07 PM

I love Colin's voice and I dont think the accent it put on. You can heat it in his voice when talking. But I admit that it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea! And anyone who writes an 8 minute sea-shanty revenge song is OK by me!!!
I must be one of those who really goes for pomposity, because I love the Decemberists and even Colin's voice. I also don't hear it as put-on, it's just the way that he sings (uh oh, blasphemy?). The first record is still my favorite -- California One is such a great song.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

ralph

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 06, 2011, 06:13 PM

I must be one of those who really goes for pomposity, because I love the Decemberists and even Colin's voice. I also don't hear it as put-on, it's just the way that he sings (uh oh, blasphemy?). The first record is still my favorite -- California One is such a great song.

Crispy, do you have the live solo Colin Meloy Sings cd? It's got a great version of California One/Youth & Beauty Brigade with nice little Floyd & REM inserts in it. It's a fantastic album actually, gets a fair spin in our house...

Crispy

Quote from: ralph on Jan 06, 2011, 06:31 PM

Crispy, do you have the live solo Colin Meloy Sings cd? It's got a great version of California One/Youth & Beauty Brigade with nice little Floyd & REM inserts in it. It's a fantastic album actually, gets a fair spin in our house...
I have it on vinyl! Love that record, and gonna give it a spin it now.

And to further annoy Jaimoe (if he was in my house), I'm going to play my Quadrophenia soundtrack record after that.  ;)
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

Tracy 2112

Absolutely cannot stop listening to these 2 albums.

Constantines:  Tournament of Hearts and Shine a Light.

It's been a while since I have "needed" like this.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

walterfredo

Cannot stop listening to Justin Townes Earl's new album 'Harlem River Blues'

Jaimoe

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 06, 2011, 09:17 PM
Quote from: ralph on Jan 06, 2011, 06:31 PM

I have it on vinyl! Love that record, and gonna give it a spin it now.

And to further annoy Jaimoe (if he was in my house), I'm going to play my Quadrophenia soundtrack record after that.  ;)

I actually bought the soundtrack for the first time around 5 years ago - I've had the original album for close to 30 years. The soundtrack is ok, but Moon was just a shadow of his former self on the re-recordings. The best thing about the soundtrack is the 2 extra songs The Who wrote and recorded for the film.

Apeskies

Still super into Broken Bells. So effing incredible.

kydiddle

I'm still diggin the Broken Bells album, too, Apeskies. Good choice.

Currently listening to the new Smith Westerns album "Dye It Blonde." Lerrvin it.

Also, last night I think I listened to "Buffalo" by The Deloreans about 7,298 times. (Okay, okay it was maybe eight times.) Here's a link. They're a Louisville band...any of you locals have some insight?

http://thedeloreans.bandcamp.com/track/buffalo

Cow temperature.

MarkW

Spoon - Transference

Bought this on the strength of its showing in the "Best of" poll here, and I am enjoying it greatly.  Not sure how it's possible that Spoon have escaped me until now...

EDIT:  it's like a Squeeze/Oasis mashup, but in a really, really good way.

Not really feeling the Beach House album yet.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side