J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: ALady on Jan 19, 2011, 02:07 PM
They're playing SXSW.  I'm going to go see them, just for you.

What is the setting gonna be for this?  Is it one of the showcases or some late night show.  I hope it's the latter.  If there was ever a band that was made for midnight shows and copious bourbon consumption, they are it.

Hope you like them.  Quite the testosterone rush. ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 20, 2011, 01:52 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 19, 2011, 01:32 PM
Quote from: he.who.forgets on Jan 19, 2011, 01:19 PM
by the way...which album should i pick up? I see they have 2 or 3 releases.
As far as I know they only have two, S/T and Hail Mega Boys.  I love 'em equally but I guess s/t would be the safer place to start.

Those are the only 2 Im aware of, although I think they mightve had an EP released before S/T that had songs that are all on S/T. I think S/T is noticeably better overall, but it wouldnt be a bad idea necessarily to start with Hail Mega Boys and then be blown away by the progression they made with S/T by listening to it 2nd.

I thought you said you didnt think Hail Mega Boys was near as good as S/T when we were in NYC, Ruckus?

Yeah, you're right.  At that point, I hadn't given it enough spins yet and was still pretty enamored with S/T but as some of my later posts kinda pointed towards, it grew on me a lot and now I really appreciate the greater balance on that album.  Some of the softer acoustic songs, less piano and a much more southern feel.

Thats pretty much how it hit me..I got it maybe a month or less after first hearing S/T, and while I liked it, didnt like it as much as S/T and it took me awhile to revisit it. I still dont think its as good as S/T, but in its own right its a very good album and remarkably different as the only songs that feel like they'd fit on S/T are Rock And Roll The Second and Go For It (the latter of which is probably my favorite on the album, not surprisingly). Its the slower songs that really grew on me and I feel are the strong suit with this one though - The Times Are A Staying, Go Malachi, Nineteen Ought Four, Sally Bangs. Overall, its the barroom romping piano that makes their sound so unique for me, and its prevalence on only a few tracks on HMB vs nearly every one on S/T is why I'll always favor S/T.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 26, 2011, 08:08 AM
Quote from: ALady on Jan 19, 2011, 02:07 PM
They're playing SXSW.  I'm going to go see them, just for you.

What is the setting gonna be for this?  Is it one of the showcases or some late night show.  I hope it's the latter.  If there was ever a band that was made for midnight shows and copious bourbon consumption, they are it.

Hope you like them.  Quite the testosterone rush. ;)

They will probably play about 85 times that week in a variety of settings, and the bourbon might even be free.

I love SXSW   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

he.who.forgets

picked up s/t and absolutely lovin it.  Thanks for introducing me.  After a few spins I cant help but hear a little bit of similarity to a band called The Weeks.  Check em out if you've never heard of them.  Here's a sample:
Weeks - Buttons

EasyRyder

New Tour Dates  :D

Mon, Mar 07
      CLUB AE
      Pittsburgh, PA

Tue, Mar 08
      Appalachian Brewing Company
      Harrisburg, PA

Thu, Mar 10
      The Basement
      Columbus, OH

Fri, Mar 11
      Southgate House
      Cincinnati, OH

Sat, Mar 12
      Double Door
      Chicago, IL

Sun, Mar 13
      Zanzabar
      Louisville, KY

Mon, Mar 14
      Old Rock House
      St. Louis, MO

Fri, Mar 18
      SXSW No Depression Showcase
      Austin, TX

Tue, Mar 22
      Whitewater Tavern
      Little Rock, AR

Wed, Mar 23
      Proud Larry's
      Oxford, MS

Thu, Mar 24
      12th and Porter
      Nashville, TN

Fri, Mar 25
      Star Bar
      Atlanta, GA

Sat, Mar 26
      40 Watt Club
      Athens, GA

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

BH

Quote from: EasyRyder on Jan 28, 2011, 03:10 PM

Mon, Mar 14
      Old Rock House
      St. Louis, MO

:beer: :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

EasyRyder - where did you get this info from??? I see nothing anywhere not only about a Pittsburgh show but them having any tour dates outside of 2 supporting DBT in DC..

Also, bout time the Bizness gets their own damn website instead of just facebook, myspace, etc so I could get some damn confirmation here!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EasyRyder

Here you is, Cap'n  :beer: http://www.facebook.com/#!/jroddywalston?v=app_178091127385

I've been keeping track of them on facebook mainly (this link is to their bandpage), and they're surprisingly good with updates on that site so I recommend it.

But I agree-nowadays an up and coming band is only as successful as the resources provided on their website (as sad as that is). Hopefully after this tour they'll get some fundage for a good webpage.

capt. scotty

Nice..I checked FB but whenever I tried their page wouldnt load and I got inpatient

Ruckus

wolof7

Thanks Ruckus, Great Vids! This is the hands down best new band I've heard in a long while. They cater to all of my musical sensibilities. Plus their music is so badass!

Love the Queen - Hot Space Tee
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

BH

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 03, 2011, 06:30 AM
Stuff from last year.  It's funny to see Roddy so tame in studio trying to get the vocals to sound proper. ;D

J. Roddy Walston and The Business - "Don't Break The Needle" - HearYa Live Session 9/22/10

J. Roddy Walston and The Business - "I Don't Wanna Hear It" - HearYa Live Session 9/22/10

Da Bidness!!!!!!   Damn i cant stop watching those two videos.     They best reschedule my show!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

jones

Not the greatest video, but it was good enough for them to post it on their fb wall...

J Roddy Walston - Full Growing Man

EasyRyder

Quote from: flyguy on Feb 11, 2011, 03:38 PM
Not the greatest video, but it was good enough for them to post it on their fb wall...

J Roddy Walston - Full Growing Man

i bet that piano was sore the next morning   :o

I can't make any of the shows on this tour....these videos are slowly killing me....

capt. scotty

better late than never Flyguy!  ;) 8)

So pumped for the show in a month. Hopefully this time, Im not the only person within 5 feet of the stage.

.....or the only person rocking out so hard it could be confused for a seizure.

BH

Well done flyguy!  You and me are in the same "new love" zone with JRod!

Ruckus

Hellz yes Flyguy!  So this vid might take the cake for highlighting their live energy.  Well this one and the one of me onstage with them. ;)

J RODDY WALSTON & THE BUSINESS - I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT - SXSW 2010

Oh yeah.  This was on their facebook also.  Happy to hear that they are starting to get paid.
J Roddy Walston - Trident Spec Commercial