The Reggae Thread Version 2.0

Started by woodnymph, Feb 01, 2011, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Oh no, I can't locate the original reggae thread....... hope I can go in and save the old one from the old board!!

Til then..... Currently Listening:

Bob Marley and The Wailers - Natty Dread
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

debbie

Touch me I'm going to scream.

.Walt

Oh no! The old thread is gone? That's too bad, lots of good songs, but I see and hear the new thread is starting out great! Nice songs  :beer:

Noah Sugar Pan - The Congos

THE MIGHTY DIAMONDS - I NEED A ROOF

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

debbie

Ruckus

Hey Walts!  What's up with the Mighty Diamonds vid? ;D ;D  Couple of Ruffryders cuts intermingled ;D  Good stuff.

I haven't seriously listened to reggae in quite some time but it's always nice to stick my head in here and vibe on some stuff I've never heard before.

In the fall of '98, right about when I started collecting vinyl (that wasn't my dad's), I walked into a local record store and found an original copy of Jimmy Cliff's Unlimited.  I was of course familiar with him from The Harder They Come and the soundtrack so I picked it up for $8.  To this day, it might be the best $8 I've ever spent.  I saw Cliff a couple of times over the last decade and what a cheeseball he has become on stage.  He was actually tough to watch.  Additionally, I know that Cliff gets a bum rap amongst many reggae heads but this early Cliff, rare, old school album is pure glory :)  One of my favorites albums of all time in fact and I'm so glad I found it.  Can't even find more than a couple of tracks on youtube.

Jimmy Cliff - Oh Jamaica.

JIMMY CLIFF - ON MY LIFE.

Jimmy cliff Fundamental reggae

Jimmy Cliff - Born To Win

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

.Walt

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 03, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hey Walts!  What's up with the Mighty Diamonds vid? ;D ;D  Couple of Ruffryders cuts intermingled ;D  Good stuff.

I haven't seriously listened to reggae in quite some time but it's always nice to stick my head in here and vibe on some stuff I've never heard before.

In the fall of '98, right about when I started collecting vinyl (that wasn't my dad's), I walked into a local record store and found an original copy of Jimmy Cliff's Unlimited.  I was of course familiar with him from The Harder They Come and the soundtrack so I picked it up for $8.  To this day, it might be the best $8 I've ever spent.  I saw Cliff a couple of times over the last decade and what a cheeseball he has become on stage.  He was actually tough to watch.  Additionally, I know that Cliff gets a bum rap amongst many reggae heads but this early Cliff, rare, old school album is pure glory :)  One of my favorites albums of all time in fact and I'm so glad I found it.  Can't even find more than a couple of tracks on youtube.

Sweet tracks everyone!

Yeah, Ruckus the first vinyl reggae album I bought was a Jimmy Cliff record too! Weird. I got to see him at the Mile High Fest last year, and he was bouncing around all over the stage. I was glad I finally got to see him. I know what you mean about how he gets a bum rap, but to me I always have had a soft spot for him. I get that sentimental feeling when I play that album. I remember where I was living and what I was doing, and it brings it back home.

King Jammy's- Ten to One Dub

woodnymph

.Walt

Quote from: woodnymph on Feb 03, 2011, 11:44 AM
Sweeeeeeeetness abounds here!!!!  :o  8)  8)

Children Children - Scotty.

Awesome song Wood!

Loving all the reggae tunes in February. Especially when I look outside and there's about 4 to 5 feet of snow on the ground. Any chance of getting the link to the old thread? I know I still have the old forum bookmarked on my computer, but since it's broke (and so am I) I won't be able to pull it up for a while. Then again, I'd love to flood the new thread with all my favorite King Tubby and Scientist songs again  ;D  ;) 

Scientist - Dance of the Vampires

woodnymph

Quote from: Walts on Feb 03, 2011, 01:53 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Feb 03, 2011, 11:44 AM
Sweeeeeeeetness abounds here!!!!  :o  8)  8)

Children Children - Scotty.

Awesome song Wood!

Loving all the reggae tunes in February. Especially when I look outside and there's about 4 to 5 feet of snow on the ground. Any chance of getting the link to the old thread? I know I still have the old forum bookmarked on my computer, but since it's broke (and so am I) I won't be able to pull it up for a while. Then again, I'd love to flood the new thread with all my favorite King Tubby and Scientist songs again  ;D  ;) 

[urlScientist - Dance of the Vampires[/url]

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1149124934/231#231

I totally wanna put my old ones up again tooooo!!!

debbie

I have that Scientist album.  It's one of my favorites!  Nice choice!  I might have to put up "Your Teeth in My Neck" next.  I love Michael Prophet!  And dub, of course.

debbie

debbie

Irie peeps!  I love that Mighty Diamonds tune.  Haven't heard that one in a long time. 

I haven't logged on the MMJ forum for several years and I'm excited to find this thread and  other reggae fans here!  I've been listening to reggae and going to shows since Jim James was about 6 years old. 

Bless!

woodnymph

Quote from: debbie on Feb 03, 2011, 07:24 PM
Irie peeps!  I love that Mighty Diamonds tune.  Haven't heard that one in a long time. 

I haven't logged on the MMJ forum for several years and I'm excited to find this thread and  other reggae fans here!  I've been listening to reggae and going to shows since Jim James was about 6 years old. 

Bless!
Hahah heck yeah!!!!  :thumbsup:  Great to have ya back! What monumental reggae shows have you gone to over the years!

debbie

And I sure would love to see a picture of JJ when he was 6!  Such a cutie! 

OMG, I've seen everybody!  I honestly can't think of anyone I haven't seen except for Bob Marley.  One of the best shows I've seen in a long time was Sly & Robbie & the Taxi Gang this past summer.  They are mind-blowing!  Check 'em out if you haven't already.  One love.

Dennis Brown ft. Sly & Robbie - Revolution

debbie

Now excuse me while I light my spliff....

debbie

I was thinking about this song today for some reason and thought I'd share.  This album is awesome.

Lee Scratch Perry - Fisherman Dub

woodnymph

Nice adds, Debbie!

Thought I'd share this Marley bit released today in the Trib:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/ae/music/s_721435.html

Being from Pitt, I've cherished my bootleg copy of this since I was 17.... I can't wait to hear how the "official" release will sound!!!

P.S. this is more importantly related to Pitt today than football. That's right I said it

debbie

Thanks for sharing!  I'm not too sure I could listen to that w/o feeling really sad though.  I love the bit about how the air was thick w/ ganga smoke!  Ha ha!  That's the way it should be.   Happy birthday to the Tough Gong!

Deb

woodnymph

Quote from: debbie on Feb 06, 2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for sharing!  I'm not too sure I could listen to that w/o feeling really sad though.  I love the bit about how the air was thick w/ ganga smoke!  Ha ha!  That's the way it should be.   Happy birthday to the Tough Gong!

Deb
WISH I WAS THERE!!! The recording is phenomenal.... the quality is not so hot, but after the first minute in it all just melts away and you just feel like you're there.... my favorite version I've ever heard of Could You Be Loved. For having the cd as long as I have, I only just recently found out he was even sick that night. And that article really surprised me to know how sick he truly had been that night.... you can't even tell on the recording. He just channels Jah and the circuit is complete...  8)

woodnymph

My possibly favorite part of the recording is near the end, when he shouts in his sweet accent, "THANK YOU VERY MUCH PEACEBURRRRRGH PENN-SEEL-VANE-E-AH!"  Just wish I coulda witnessed such a thing........