What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 03, 2011, 10:04 PM
3 nights @ MSG with Phish ... taste-a-rrific

we were there in spirit!  Wish it could have been in the flesh.  We chose T5 over phish NYE (no regrets), but it was painful nonetheless.  Spent the week in Lake Tahoe, had every intention on doing the video stream....until a massive storm rolled through, knocked out our power for 2 days, and the phone lines for the entire stint, and thus knocking out the DSL as well.  C'est la vie! 

e_wind

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 01, 2011, 07:59 PM
Quote from: ophidiophobia on Jan 01, 2011, 07:33 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 01, 2011, 05:58 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 01, 2011, 05:19 PM
Quote from: ophidiophobia on Jan 01, 2011, 11:36 AM
Flaming Lips last night. I love the energy of a Lips' show. The set before midnight was very upbeat and rocking. I stood in front of a speaker and I could feel my clothes shake when it got loud. They played Soft Bulletin after midnight, and by then the crowd had really mellowed out. Wayne took time to tell about the writing process of certain songs. I was kinda on the fence about going this year but I made the right choice. I'll be back to rock out with the Lips for NYE 2012!

Wait - they played ALL of Soft Bulletin in the post-midnight set?!! Thats sweet if so...When I
saw them last year I think they only played 1 song off of it

Wow I can't wait to hear if they played the whole album!! Either way, a Lips' NYE show would be a fantastic way to ring in a new year!!!
Yeah they played the whole album last night starting around 12:30. Wayne said that some of the songs had never been played lived before last night. They played a short hourish-set before midnight and then Soft Bulletin was played to start the new year.

Woooooowwwwwww..... sweet manna....
feeeeling yoursellfffffff... disinnnntegrateeee.....  and puttttting allll the vegetables awayyyyyy  :P  High five on a great NYE show!!!

I hear that the lips plan on playing all of their albums all the way through in 2011 at various shows
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

Das Racist last night at Sonar.  It was a great time even though I felt old as hell there.  They brought a lot more energy to their live show then I had expected and the 18-25 year old crowd was amped up.  Good times...Good times :)  Perhaps they are just a gimmick that'll disappear soon but they held their own live and I walked away thinking that I'd probably go see them again later on down the road if they came back around.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Murph

Broken SOcial Scene last night at T5.....i was thoroughly impressed

woodnymph

Super stoked to hear about the Lips possible 2011 album plays! ^^^

Robert Plant & the [Mysterious] Band of Joy was faaaantastic last night! They opened with a killer version of Gallows' Pole (their banjoist was supreme), then amidst all the newer numbers, they gave us a Tangerine (at which point I thought they may be going on a "III" kick and got excited!) But then we got a "Houses of the Holy" (which complemented the HOTH shirt I'd worn!), a Ramble On, and a Rock N Roll  8)  They closed up with "And We Bid You Goodnight," which I like to describe as "all the Deadheads in the audience partaking in the 'double-clap' between the 'goodnight's hahahah  :P)  It was a sweet closer. A funny line was Plant saying the night has been "RIVOTING" in his lovely accent  :)  And the N. Mississippi Allstars were on point, but there were only two of 'em playing.... it was like watching the Black Keys sounding like the Allman Bros and was AWESOME! My friend really hooked things up, we had a suite on floor level so I could dance it up without anyone behind me complaining that they can't see  :-X Hahah it was just rivoting
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Crispy

Sounds great, woody! Really jealous.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

ALady

Oh, I think I would have cried for "Tangerine".  Sounds like a lovely night!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

woodnymph

Quote from: ALady on Jan 20, 2011, 02:10 PM
FOR SURE!!  I choked up in a serious way when I was singing along.... when you're singing and the air in your lungs just stops flowing out even though your lips are still kinda goin and the muscles in your face start to buckle just a bit and you feel your eyes swell up...... the delicate opening notes of Tangerine, and the "Measuring a suuuummer's day............." whewww  :embarassed:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Ruckus

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
FOR SURE!!  I choked up in a serious way when I was singing along.... when you're singing and the air in your lungs just stops flowing out even though your lips are still kinda goin and the muscles in your face start to buckle just a bit and you feel your eyes swell up...... the delicate opening notes of Tangerine, and the "Measuring a suuuummer's day............." whewww  :embarassed:

Sounds like a great show Woody!  Maybe the Rush fairy will show up with Veep tix for me the way your buddy hooked you up for Plant.

Stupid side story:  Back in high school, our band decided to cover Tangerine and our guitarist spent the entire night figuring out the lyrics.  He came to me the next day and said, "Dude.  I figured out the entire song but I can't figure out the chorus part.  Do you know what he says?  I tried to figure it out for over an hour last night."  I was like "Tangerine?"  He proceeded to smash his head against the wall over and over.

Kylesa last night at the Black Cat was off the hook!  Holy F*ck!

capt. scotty

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 20, 2011, 01:29 PM
Robert Plant & the [Mysterious] Band of Joy was faaaantastic last night!

Very niice! Really wanted to go to this but couldnt swing it since I was in Altoona for school...Tix were pretty pricey too, but not for you I guess. That makes the show twice as good  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 21, 2011, 09:24 AM

Sounds like a great show Woody!  Maybe the Rush fairy will show up with Veep tix for me the way your buddy hooked you up for Plant.

Stupid side story:  Back in high school, our band decided to cover Tangerine and our guitarist spent the entire night figuring out the lyrics.  He came to me the next day and said, "Dude.  I figured out the entire song but I can't figure out the chorus part.  Do you know what he says?  I tried to figure it out for over an hour last night."  I was like "Tangerine?"  He proceeded to smash his head against the wall over and over.

They're supposedly confirmed for Roo...I'm just saying.   ;)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Ruckus

Quote from: ALady on Jan 21, 2011, 02:13 PM

They're supposedly confirmed for Roo...I'm just saying.   ;)
Guess I'm there :)

MarkW

They're playing in Manchester next week, which is just down the road from me.  Think I'll give it a go.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

Quote from: MarkW on Feb 04, 2011, 08:55 AM

They're playing in Manchester next week, which is just down the road from me.  Think I'll give it a go.
Hope you make it.  Gonna take the Mrs.? ;D
Were you just lukewarm to Spiral Shadow or did it grow on you a bit?
Ahh Laura Pleasants...I wish there were more women that rocked like her. 
The double drummer attack is pulsating and relentless.
I was smashed and in the pit. ;D
They are headlining night 2 of the Maryland Deathfest a few blocks from my apartment in May.

weeniebeenie

I saw Bjorn Again last night. They were so funny, the music was good (if you like Abba) and I had a blast! :)
How loud can silence get?

EasyRyder

Dr. Dog was unbelievable tonight....they played "Today" amongst some other older stuff that I recognized. They're so much more of a live band than I expected. 

It almost felt like I was cheating on MMJ I had so much fun  ;D

Buried Beds and The Head and the Heart killed it too. The best Monday I've had in a while  :)
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Ruckus

Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 08, 2011, 01:14 AM
Dr. Dog was unbelievable tonight....they played "Today" amongst some other older stuff that I recognized. They're so much more of a live band than I expected. 

Buried Beds and The Head and the Heart killed it too. The best Monday I've had in a while  :)

Great to hear that you enjoyed the Dog man.  The 1st time I saw them, I walked out thinking the same thing, that they were so much better live than I expected them to. 

I was checking out the Head and the Heart's stuff thinking I was going to attend the Dog show here.  I liked what I heard from their myspace page.  It sounds like they are a band to look out for from the reviews you and ewind gave 'em.

EasyRyder

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 09, 2011, 09:02 AM
Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 08, 2011, 01:14 AM

Great to hear that you enjoyed the Dog man.  The 1st time I saw them, I walked out thinking the same thing, that they were so much better live than I expected them to. 

I was checking out the Head and the Heart's stuff thinking I was going to attend the Dog show here.  I liked what I heard from their myspace page.  It sounds like they are a band to look out for from the reviews you and ewind gave 'em.

Oh yea. It was a great experience to put their Dog voices to their human faces. That's always an adventure and a challenge for me at first time shows.

And Head and the Heart is definitely worth checking out if you're into that kind of thing. I haven't listened to much of their studio stuff, but live they build energy very well. Their chick singer is incredibly talented, and the keyboardist really made some "whoa cool" moments.

The crowd in B-ham rly surprised all 3 bands with a lot of energy on a Monday night so good times were had  :thumbsup:
without the forum, Dr. D, PhD would have flown under my radar, (just like Roddy :o) so thanks forum kin-spirits!!!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Murph

Saw Dr. DOg last night also and they really are an incredible live band.  They have really stepped their game up since I saw them last.  The whole crowd was so into it, even the people who werent rocking out just couldnt help but be swept into it.  Man that was a great show.  They're really following in the footsteps of mmj, i love it

wolof7

Quote from: Murph on Feb 19, 2011, 10:07 AM
Saw Dr. DOg last night also and they really are an incredible live band.  They have really stepped their game up since I saw them last.  The whole crowd was so into it, even the people who werent rocking out just couldnt help but be swept into it.  Man that was a great show.  They're really following in the footsteps of mmj, i love it

First time I saw Dr. Dog was when they had just re-released Toothbrush and were opening for the Jacket (first time seeing MMJ as well). That night was a baptism of music that would continuously save me over the rest of my life. Glad you enjoyed it!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee