Main Menu

Futurebirds

Started by Ruckus, Mar 30, 2011, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Man I do love these guys.  They are still touring and are hitting up Brooklyn Bowl on 4/4 for all you NYers.

Anyways, they have a new EP dropping on 4/1 called Via Flamina.
FUTUREBIRDS - Via Flamina Teaser
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Awesome find Ruckus! Love these guys too, had no idea they had this coming out. Has anyone seen them live?
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 30, 2011, 09:00 PM
Awesome find Ruckus! Love these guys too, had no idea they had this coming out. Has anyone seen them live?
I had to bail on them a month ago because I got a NASTY stomach flu, I guess like what happened to you for Middle Brother.  I know Brooke and Bluesky saw them at the Mercury Lounge last month and I think Darkglow and Jon T. caught them open for DBT earlier this year as well.

While I'm bummed I haven't seen them yet, I wouldn't mind catching them for the 1st time when they have enough material to play a proper headlining set.  I swear there is not one song on either their S/T EP or Hampton's Lullaby that I don't like.

Murph

I love this band also....good find on the new EP, I had no idea about that.  I was at that Mercury Lounge show also and they were awesome, put on a great show.  I actually met the drummer and lead singer both at Terminal 5 on the first night and again on the second night of MMJ.  I was talking to them again before their set at the Mercury Lounge, i was surprised that they remembered me, but they seem like real cool dudes.   Like me, they are only 24 years old, so hopefully they have long careers ahead of them

Ruckus

Quote from: Murph on Mar 30, 2011, 09:18 PM

I love this band also....good find on the new EP, I had no idea about that.  I was at that Mercury Lounge show also and they were awesome, put on a great show.  I actually met the drummer and lead singer both at Terminal 5 on the first night and again on the second night of MMJ.  I was talking to them again before their set at the Mercury Lounge, i was surprised that they remembered me, but they seem like real cool dudes.   Like me, they are only 24 years old, so hopefully they have long careers ahead of them
I remember you posting about meeting some of the guys at T5.  That's awesome.  They seem like down to earth dudes...and soo young.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Murph on Mar 30, 2011, 09:18 PM

i think brooke and bluesky were at that show, too
gonna see them 2 nights in Asheville in June, can't wait..i love that album...reminds me of early MMJ
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wolof7

I could drown right now and die a happy maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaaaaahahahaaannnnnnnn!  :thumbsup:

Love that s**t!

Agreed Ruckus not a bad track in the bunch

Ruckus

They don't make it easy to find but here's the new EP
http://futurebirdsmusic.bandcamp.com/

Brother Beck

Ruckus, you're not kidding - I knew this was coming out today, so I went looking for it on their site and different pages, and I couldn't find it anywhere.  The only place I could find it was on iTunes. 
Anyway, thanks for the link!  These guys are incredible.  Definitely worth the extra effort to find.   

wolof7

Wow that 'Wicked Game' is actually a cover of the Chris Issak song. That is a guiltless pleasure song and it really works with this band's sensibilities. Great EP, it's making my Friday!

Wild Heart is wonderous!

EasyRyder

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 01, 2011, 11:39 AM
Wow that 'Wicked Game' is actually a cover of the Chris Issak song. That is a guiltless pleasure song and it really works with this band's sensibilities. Great EP, it's making my Friday!

Wild Heart is wonderous!

I was wondering if that was a cover of Issak's original!! I doubted it at first...but damn it smokes.

I'm most especially loving the pedal steel work on these new ones....seems like they're leaping forward in the right direction. I saw 'em last year in Birmingham and loved their show, they really bring some energy.

I hope critics don't try to drive this band's square peg into any round holes by writing them off as just another southern/indie/barn/reverb band.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Ruckus

Quote from: EasyRyder on Apr 01, 2011, 07:22 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 01, 2011, 11:39 AM

Wild Heart is wonderous!

I was wondering if that was a cover of Issak's original!! I doubted it at first...but damn it smokes.

I'm most especially loving the pedal steel work on these new ones....seems like they're leaping forward in the right direction. I saw 'em last year in Birmingham and loved their show, they really bring some energy.

I hope critics don't try to drive this band's square peg into any round holes by writing them off as just another southern/indie/barn/reverb band.

You make a good point Easy but so far critics have been friendly to them.  Sure you can say they are very early Wilco/early MMJ/Fleet Foxes hybrid but they have multiple lead vocalists utilizing banjo or mandolin along with pedal on each song.  They also have a great pop/melody sensibility that makes all their songs easy on the ears without overdoing it.

While I didn't necessarily see the pedal as being too much more prominent (though I see what you're saying) on these four tracks, the extra guitar fuzz on Via Flamina and the keys on Wild Heart seem to be new welcome additions.

That Chris Isaak cover is a trip as well.  I wasn't sure who's song it was when I first heard it other than I knew the words to it immediately. ;D

Ruckus

Quote from: Brother Beck on Apr 01, 2011, 11:35 AM
Ruckus, you're not kidding - I knew this was coming out today, so I went looking for it on their site and different pages, and I couldn't find it anywhere.  The only place I could find it was on iTunes. 
Anyway, thanks for the link!  These guys are incredible.  Definitely worth the extra effort to find.
;D  Right?  The only reason I tracked it down was because of their facebook page where they had a link to it on a post midway on their page. ???

Tracy 2112

OK Ruckus,

I like what I heard from what I have heard, so, here goes. I am downloading Hampton's Lullaby on your suggestion. I've been turned on to some really great music here over the years (and a couple of crappers).

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 01, 2011, 10:40 PM
OK Ruckus,

I like what I heard from what I have heard, so, here goes. I am downloading Hampton's Lullaby on your suggestion. I've been turned on to some really great music here over the years (and a couple of crappers).
It's no ambient Rush

Gerardo - Rico Suave

bluesky

I looked but must have deleted the photo I took of the crazy keyboardist at the Mercury. (the other seemed more talented and less punk) Man that dude was out of hand!  these guys were great and had such a nice following

Tracy 2112

I like it, thanks Ruckus

It's got an Avett Brothers meets Arcade Fire feel. Being from Athens, I know Nashville won't be too far to come
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 02, 2011, 01:35 PM
I like it, thanks Ruckus

It's got an Avett Brothers meets Arcade Fire feel. Being from Athens, I know Nashville won't be too far to come
Yeah, so much of their sound depends on who's singing.  Sometimes they strongly remind me of Jesus and Mary Chain ???

Ghosts_on_TV

They are playing with the Truckers in Wilkes-Barre in June. I'm going.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ruckus

The Gary Clark thread reminded me that both he and Futurebirds are opening for Grace Potter here next weekend.  I have a prior obligation I must get out of. :-\

I had no idea that Wild Hearts was a Stevie Nicks cover.  Is that right?