Has anyone ever met the band?

Started by JerseyBoy, Apr 27, 2011, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerseyBoy

I have a friend/coworker who knows one of their guitar techs. He got me an Aftershow pass back in 2008 but the band rarely or never goes to those. Earlier this year I saw them at Chastain Park in ATL. I went hours early with my wife and listened to the sound check outside the gates. I waited until after the soundcheck and saw Jim walking between the 2 tour buses about 20 feet away. I was outside the gate and got his attention. I asked him if I could get a picture with him, and he just stopped, looked at me, and then turned and kept walking. I then saw Carl a couple minutes later and he just dissed me too. He waved at me and put his head down and acted like he didn't want to be bothered whatsoever. I've been a huge fan since 03' and talked with Patrick at the 40 Watt Club back in 05 or 06, he was nice. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. I was pretty let down that they couldn't take 1 minute to take a picture with a true fan. Still my favorite band, but very disappointing.

tdb810

Damn, that seems really out of character. Must be because you are from jersey ( just kidding, Im from jersey too).

Yes, a lot of people on this here forum have met the band, and most have had good experiences to my knowledge.

We met Jim after the Appalachian voices show in Brooklyn, and then Bo and Carl after the Philly show this summer, and then again at the Carl show at joes pub during the t5 week, we met Tommy, Patrick, Carl, and JOHNNY QUAID! Whoa.

They were so gracious each and every time, sorry to hear about your brush with fame....keep coming back!

And just an aside....about the Carl comment, I get the sense that he is a little on the introverted side so maybe it was just that.  Jim too is sort of really soft spoken and not super chatty. I would say the chatty cathys are Patrick and Johnny.  :D
.....Back at the Model Home

e_wind

Everytime I've interacted with any of them they've been very nice, but Patrick seems to be one of the nicest guys ever. Just last night at the decemberists show Jim approached my brother and got him into a sold out show. The crazy part is that he approached my brother and asked if he could help, not the other way around
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Concerns

I met Carl briefly after I saw the guys at the Pemberton Festival. He was just wandering through the crowd so I mustered up the courage to come say hello. He was very gracious and friendly. I was walking on sunshine for the entire rest of the day pretty much.

subinai

met jim after he performed at a fader magazine party in 06. he was nice and humble. i have to find the videos from this show and post them.

sweatboard

From everything I've heard, when it comes to real life they are all really humble and nice. I'm sure the picture, autograph, kiss my baby thing is just starting to get overwhelming for them. 

I wouldn't be disappointed; 1 min of their time is a much different amount of time for them than it is for you.  If you would have come on here and said "He stopped and took a picture"  People would read that and now he has peeps lined up between the buses after every soundcheck.  Suddenly he starts to become an ass when he doesn't stop or else he ends up spending way to much time taking pictures and signing autographs.  Not to mention the fact that a picture probably turns into asking how the tour is going and where they are headed next......which I think Sonic Youth had a great song about.
There's Still Time.........

oistheone

Had the amazing fortune to meet all the boys (except TTT) at Levon's Ramble. Best night of my life.

sweatboard

el_chode

Asbury Park, NJ...must have been around '04. I was wandering around outside the venue for a bit and saw a band lining up to take some pictures. I said "hey, you're My Morning Jacket" and they were shocked to be recognized it seemed. I said how they were tearing up the charts at my college radio station and I'd love if they could do a station spot for me ("hey, we're blah blah and you're listening to blah blah").

So they called my cell phone and left a message and then I ripped it off my phone and put it in the radio station and then I got thrown out of school so I will never be able to get my hands on that ever again because I'll be arrested if I set foot on campus.

Bonus: they still had long hair, and I'll never forget how during OBH they just started rocking out and made a comment saying "you know, we're not really used to this whole Mosh Pit thing, but it's been happening more and more lately". At a concert full of hippies, Patti Smith, and Sonic Youth, they not only stole the show, but got even the most stoned of the crowd to move their ass.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Ghosts_on_TV

Met Jim in 06 and the rest of the guys last October at Carls Joe's Pub show. All were extremely nice.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

sweatboard

The first time I met Jim was 1985 in the pouring rain outside an abandoned crack house in the Mojave Desert.  Sonic Youth was playing a secret show from 1am-12 noon.  Unfortunately I didn't know the password.  Jim was wearing a grey and white tie-dyed t-shirt with a pentagram in the middle when he whispered softly and creepily in my ear....."crème braziers" I remember Jim being fascinated with all the face paint and flowers.  When the sun rose the drugs had kicked in.  Jesus sat down with his guitar, I wondered why he was black......I wondered why I was white.   

Sonic Youth - Im Insane Live @ Mojave Desert 05.01.1985

Tutofqueens

I heard a really cool story from a couple friends of mine who were at an mmj show in Wisconsin a few years back and decided to try to wait by the bus after the show to meet the band. So they waited for about a half hour and sure enough the guys came walking out they shook their hands and my friend decided to throw it out there that they were having a party that night and that the guys should swing by. I guess Jim said ya well see you there half jokingly, but honest to god a few hours later that night my friend got a knock on his door and it was jim and the whole crew. He said they hung around for a while had a few beers and were really nice down to earth dudes. sooo jealous of that story!

sweatboard

buymycar

sweatboard

8bobbyb

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 27, 2011, 11:39 PM
Asbury Park, NJ...must have been around '04. I was wandering around outside the venue for a bit and saw a band lining up to take some pictures. I said "hey, you're My Morning Jacket" and they were shocked to be recognized it seemed. I said how they were tearing up the charts at my college radio station and I'd love if they could do a station spot for me ("hey, we're blah blah and you're listening to blah blah").

So they called my cell phone and left a message and then I ripped it off my phone and put it in the radio station and then I got thrown out of school so I will never be able to get my hands on that ever again because I'll be arrested if I set foot on campus.

Bonus: they still had long hair, and I'll never forget how during OBH they just started rocking out and made a comment saying "you know, we're not really used to this whole Mosh Pit thing, but it's been happening more and more lately". At a concert full of hippies, Patti Smith, and Sonic Youth, they not only stole the show, but got even the most stoned of the crowd to move their ass.

damn. this is an interesting story on many levels. (this is tdb810 hijacking bob's acct as always)

el_chode

Quote from: 8bobbyb on Apr 28, 2011, 07:31 AM

damn. this is an interesting story on many levels. (this is tdb810 hijacking bob's acct as always)

I hesitate to mention the festie's name because that was the last year it was a hippie fest. It is now the emo-whinefest known as "bamboozle". Anyway, so I went to go look up the lineup for that day of the festival and LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND:

• Golddigger Jam Stage: Godbox, Blue Day Golden, Red Lyte District, Mynuskris, Guest Jam, Arthur Kill

• Jim's Acoustic Junction: Joe D'Urso, Jen Glass, Jodi Joseph, Dawnye Allyne, Danny White, Nicole Atkins, Joe Rapolla, Exit 105, Leela, Melissa Chill, Joy Bodnar, Rob Dye, Mike Rocket
This goes back further than any of us ever knew.

Plus, looking back at it, I wish I had the funds to go to all three days. I basically went to that as my first MMJ show. Cost me $20.
I'm surrounded by assholes

rmpotsy

ive met all of the ville guys on numerous occasions, patrick more than anyone.  we have a good friend in common and he hangs out at my local watering hole quite a bit.  his folks and my folks grew up in the same neighborhood and have known each other a long time.  i remember about 6-7 years ago, one of my uncles asked me about mmj and i was like, what????  and he said he used to run around with pats dad in grade school/high school.  jim, ive met a few times and he is always gracious.  he offered to help out with my charity on occasion if he was available.  we just havnt figured out the best way to utilize that yet, but it is hanging out there.  tommy seems real cool, but i have spoken to him the least of any of them.

in the early days i met johnny and danny a few times at some of the first shows and was friends with chris (drummer before patrick) in college.  i guess that may be why i really started to get in to them (although i had seen them a few times before chris)... that and the blistering live shows with less than a 100 people.
out go the lights it begins

peafunk31

Haha! I was at this fest as well. I went to see Galactic & Moe. I had never heard of MMJ. If I remember correctly, they played the small outdoor stage close to the Stone Pony. A few friends & I were walking by when they were blasting out OBH. It stopped us in our tracks. We were completely floored! Went out the next day & bought everything MMJ I could get my hands on. Pivotal musical moment in my life :)
Homer no function beer well without.

Caseydog

Not yet, but I will come June  ;)