Has anyone ever met the band?

Started by JerseyBoy, Apr 27, 2011, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

YungYave

I met Tommy in a restaurant across from the State Theatre last October in Portland, ME. He was shy, but very friendly and gave us a big smile when we shook his hand. Just let him know how much we loved the music and he thanked us for driving up from Boston. Ended up front row and he was giving us a lot of love, definitely remembered us.
his arms were thin, and off into the night they ran

The Ditchrider

Last year in Columbus OH before the show my wife and I were walking to Gordon Biersch brewery beforehand for dinner and drinks.  I looked about 10 feet ahead and it was Patrick and his parents walking and I called out to him and said hello and asked him if he knew if they were playing inside or outside(Lifestyles Pavilion, the stage can turn around for inclement weather and play inside.  He said outdoors he thought, but seemed bothered that the fans were going to get drenched.

By that time we had reached the restaurant and he held the door for his parents to go in and then motioned for my wife and I to go in as well and held the door for us too!

I told him I was really looking forward to the show and I loved their music and he thanked me and we went our seperate ways into the restaurant to eat.

Super nice guy...very polite and gracious.

JerseyBoy

Thanks everyone for the stories you've provided. Maybe I just caught them at a bad time. I know they were done with their soundcheck but maybe Jim and Carl were busy with something else and perhaps they genuinely didn't have time to stop over. I've made journeys from SC to NY to see them play, and too many too list 100+ mile trips, and they don't know that. They just see "some guy" asking for a picture. I could understand that. If they knew how big a fan I've been they might have acted differently, that's what I'm gathering from everyone elses encounters with them.

I did get to hang out with some of the roadies for Preservation Jazz Hall Band that day though. They were super gracious and invited me and my wife to a show next time we go to Louisiana. We've texted a few times since then but I haven't made it down yet.

el_chode

Quote from: peafunk31 on Apr 28, 2011, 09:48 AM
Quote from: el_chode on Apr 27, 2011, 11:39 PM
Asbury Park, NJ...must have been around '04. I was wandering around outside the venue for a bit and saw a band lining up to take some pictures. I said "hey, you're My Morning Jacket" and they were shocked to be recognized it seemed. I said how they were tearing up the charts at my college radio station and I'd love if they could do a station spot for me ("hey, we're blah blah and you're listening to blah blah").

So they called my cell phone and left a message and then I ripped it off my phone and put it in the radio station and then I got thrown out of school so I will never be able to get my hands on that ever again because I'll be arrested if I set foot on campus.

Bonus: they still had long hair, and I'll never forget how during OBH they just started rocking out and made a comment saying "you know, we're not really used to this whole Mosh Pit thing, but it's been happening more and more lately". At a concert full of hippies, Patti Smith, and Sonic Youth, they not only stole the show, but got even the most stoned of the crowd to move their ass.

Haha! I was at this fest as well. I went to see Galactic & Moe. I had never heard of MMJ. If I remember correctly, they played the small outdoor stage close to the Stone Pony. A few friends & I were walking by when they were blasting out OBH. It stopped us in our tracks. We were completely floored! Went out the next day & bought everything MMJ I could get my hands on. Pivotal musical moment in my life :)

Yeah it was the "main" outdoor stage, facing the beach. It was perfect weather too. And that was also the night I learned how boring and pretentious Patti Smith is.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Quote from: sweatboard on Apr 28, 2011, 01:32 AM
The first time I met Jim was 1985 in the pouring rain outside an abandoned crack house in the Mojave Desert.  Sonic Youth was playing a secret show from 1am-12 noon.  Unfortunately I didn't know the password.  Jim was wearing a grey and white tie-dyed t-shirt with a pentagram in the middle when he whispered softly and creepily in my ear....."crème braziers" I remember Jim being fascinated with all the face paint and flowers.  When the sun rose the drugs had kicked in.  Jesus sat down with his guitar, I wondered why he was black......I wondered why I was white.   

Sonic Youth - Im Insane Live @ Mojave Desert 05.01.1985

I was there, too. That show was from 1 am - 11 am, fuktard.

I have met all the boys in the band. I was their Tour Dentist (TD) in 2010. Let's just say I made much bank selling the dregs of the spit cup to groupies. In fact, Ruckus gave me $75 and a Denny's coupon (free Maple Bacon Sundae with purchase of Triple Bacon Sampler) for an oz. of Bo spittle.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 28, 2011, 01:32 PM
The first time I met Jim was 1985 in the pouring rain outside an abandoned crack house in the Mojave Desert.  Sonic Youth was playing a secret show from 1am-12 noon.  Unfortunately I didn't know the password.  Jim was wearing a grey and white tie-dyed t-shirt with a pentagram in the middle when he whispered softly and creepily in my ear....."crème braziers" I remember Jim being fascinated with all the face paint and flowers.  When the sun rose the drugs had kicked in.  Jesus sat down with his guitar, I wondered why he was black......I wondered why I was white.   

I have met all the boys in the band. I was their Tour Dentist (TD) in 2010. Let's just say I made much bank selling the dregs of the spit cup to groupies. In fact, Ruckus gave me $75 and a Denny's coupon (free Maple Bacon Sundae with purchase of Triple Bacon Sampler) for an oz. of Bo spittle.

That is incredible!!  Does the Triple Bacon Sampler include Maple Bacon or do they actually have four kinds of bacon? 

There's Still Time.........

Cameron

I met Jim for the first time at SXSW in 2008 right before EU came out.  The whole band was hanging out at the Wax Fang show.  I was nervous to say anything because there were some posts on here at the time that Jim had refused to take some pics. with people in Louisville.  I decided a pissed off picture of him was better than no picture.  He couldn't have been cooler.  He was actually really interested in my feedback on the show and new songs from the night before.  I was doing my best to not geek out so I was the one to kind of cut the conversation off.  Great pic too.

I met him with MoF last year and he was really nice as well.  He told me he loved my shirt, which made my day.

Met him in March at SXSW at the Preservation Premier.  He looked exhausted so I just shook his hand and said hi.

Met Patrick a few times and he's always been cool.

johnnYYac

Quote from: YungYave on Apr 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
I met Tommy in a restaurant across from the State Theatre last October in Portland, ME. He was shy, but very friendly and gave us a big smile when we shook his hand. Just let him know how much we loved the music and he thanked us for driving up from Boston. Ended up front row and he was giving us a lot of love, definitely remembered us.
Portland was my big moment meeting the boys, too.  I'd met Jim at Newport Folk Fest, got great pics and he signed an Omnichord of mine.  In Portland, the morning after the State Theatre show, I went out for coffee while the wife slept.  At Starbucks, I caught Bo in line and struck up a conversation.  He was very nice, putting up with me for 10 minutes or so.  We walked out together to what turned out to be the same hotel.  I said "goodbye" and he told me to hang out in the lobby as they were heading out soon.  So I did, met the rest of the boys and got my poster signed.  I left Jim alone, 'cept for his sig, as he seemed not in the mood to talk to fans, but the rest of the boys were great.  I saw them off in their van to Levon's Ramble.  Too bad my wife slept through the entire thing.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ellisintransit

Only Jim for me.  It was a day I won't forget though.  Bonnaroo '06.  I watched Andrew Bird play That Tent early on, and Jim and a couple of the guys were backstage.  After the show I ran into him as he headed over (solo) towards Which Stage.  I was walking stride for stride with him completely by accident and when I realized, I said hello, love your music, can't wait for the show tonight...he shook my hand, said me too, it's gonna be great...just small talk.  Later that day I watched him sing backup on a couple of songs with Bright Eyes, then got almost right on the rail for the epic midnight MMJ set at That Tent (which Andrew Bird also sat in on for a couple of songs.)  An AMAZING day of music with a nice rendezvous in between.  Haha.  I don't particularly get down on photos or autographs.  Just a brush with greatness is enough for me.  To each their own though...it's not a lot to ask for a photo, but I always worry I'm bothering them.

ALady

"take my hand, not my picture..."   :thumbsup:
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

mjk73

Does it count that my sister in law's best friend is Tom's cousin and I shamelessly flirt with her everytime I see her, cuz she's cool and uberhot?

The Ditchrider

Quote from: ellisintransit on Apr 28, 2011, 04:39 PM
Only Jim for me.  It was a day I won't forget though.  Bonnaroo '06.  I watched Andrew Bird play That Tent early on, and Jim and a couple of the guys were backstage.  After the show I ran into him as he headed over (solo) towards Which Stage.  I was walking stride for stride with him completely by accident and when I realized, I said hello, love your music, can't wait for the show tonight...he shook my hand, said me too, it's gonna be great...just small talk.  Later that day I watched him sing backup on a couple of songs with Bright Eyes, then got almost right on the rail for the epic midnight MMJ set at That Tent (which Andrew Bird also sat in on for a couple of songs.)  An AMAZING day of music with a nice rendezvous in between.  Haha.  I don't particularly get down on photos or autographs.  Just a brush with greatness is enough for me.  To each their own though...it's not a lot to ask for a photo, but I always worry I'm bothering them.

Already told my meeting Patrick story but I had to just comment on your sig ellisintransit.  Hum is one of my favorite bands of all time, I don't run across a lot of fans, nice to see one!

Ruckus

Quote from: sweatboard on Apr 28, 2011, 02:25 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 28, 2011, 01:32 PM

That is incredible!!  Does the Triple Bacon Sampler include Maple Bacon or do they actually have four kinds of bacon?
Raaaazzzzzorrrrr Sharp!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

slimsloslider

i met carl at cannery ballroom at a gillian welch/david rawlings show summer of '07. i was a bit embarrassed cuz i was wearing an mmj shirt (which i actually had bought at carl's second gig with the band). they'd just played lollapalooza with the kids orchestra, so i asked him about that. we talked about public transportation, favorite venues, curtis mayfield. he asked me which of mayfield's records i had and we ran down tracklists. we talked for like ten minutes. he was completely down-to-earth, cucumber-cool. since he was just hanging out at somebody else's show i think he was just pleased to shoot the shit. it was super-tricky to let on like i wasn't a superfan. i've relived the conversation in my head repeatedly and i've come up with a million other questions i should have asked. oh well, next time

dookie shoot bandit

Bonnaroo '08.  Watching Pearl Jam with my wife, and who is standing next to us ... fucking Patrick!!! He was with a couple friends. We told him how much they rocked the night before and that we were seeing them the next week at Radio City.  He seemed to genuinely appreciate our fanhood... great guy...great weekend!!!

DaFunkyPrecedent

These are all lies - nobody has ever met the band.  Don't listen to them.   
God damn those shaky knees.

weeniebeenie

I met Bo on the street. Actually we were crossing at an inter-section. And I met Jim, Carl and Pat outside the Billboard in Melbourne. They just kind of walked up to my sister and I cause we were the only ones waiting outside (NERDS!) at the time. They were all really nice.
How loud can silence get?