Main Menu

Dawes

Started by kotchishm, Jun 07, 2011, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotchishm

New record ""Nothing is Wrong" is out today and only $7.99 on Amazon for those interested

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Is-Wrong/dp/B005342D44/ref=mb_oe_o

First album "North Hills" is only $5.99

http://www.amazon.com/North-Hills/dp/B002DKWNRI/ref=tmm_msc_title_0
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

YouAre_GivenToFly

MMJ labelmates!

I love Dawes... have seen them 4 or 5 times including their first ever in-store performance (which was in Philly, oddly enough).

The new album is quite good, definitely an improvement on the last album when it comes to production and sound. And Taylor kills it on the guitar a few times.

:thumbsup:
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

headhunter

I thought they were quite good at Mt. Jam
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Crispy

I really enjoyed Dawes when I caught them at Outside Lands in San Francisco last year -- I even watched them through the fence as they played on the patio of the Academy of Science because I was too cheap to buy a ticket.  ;D I buy their records though, so it's okay, right? Looking forward to hearing the new one.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

mahg33ta

Quote from: headhunter on Jun 07, 2011, 03:19 PM
I thought they were quite good at Mt. Jam

As did I.   I know their first album well and like it, but find some of the slower songs a bit sleepy for me.   From what I heard of the new album on Sunday, it should be good.   Scanning the track titles, I'm pretty sure they played Time Spent in LA, If I Wanted Someone, Fire Away, and A Little Bit of Everything.  Maybe more?   

After the show I went to the artist meet-n-greet to tell them I liked their set.   I was wearing my Patrick What Time Is It shirt and they all thought it was hilarious.   Direct quote from the lead singer- "that Patrick is one BAD ASS dude..."

wolof7

I feel I wanna like this band....I understand why people would, but with both this and previous album, I find they cannot keep my attention...too many songs sound the same. I love Taylor's work on Middle Brother and appreciate the band but I can't forsee myself listening to more than just individual tracks on a mix or something.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

johnnYYac

When I ran into Jim, Patrick, Bo, and Carl they were heading to check out Dawes.  Considering their tight schedule and Jim joining PHJB, their eagerness to catch their set spoke volumes to me, so I rushed back to check 'em out myself.  Where are they from?  Philly? 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

marino13

They are from Cali.

Bought the first album a year ago and couldn't connect with it.  Really connected with Delta Spirit and then bought the Middle Brother album.  This made me go back to Dawes and I'm glad I did.  My mistake was looking for the album to blow my mind when I just needed to let it soothe my mind.   It's not the orgasm, but it is the warm bed and awesome tingly comfortable feeling you have laying there in the minutes afterward, feeling great about life with your mate.  "North Hills" just puts me in a very good place when I listen to it now.  Can't wait to pick up the new one today, and I would love to see them in concert.  They just seem like really good dudes who do music the right way. 

mahg33ta

Quote from: marino13 on Jun 08, 2011, 12:43 PM
They are from Cali.

Bought the first album a year ago and couldn't connect with it.  Really connected with Delta Spirit and then bought the Middle Brother album.  This made me go back to Dawes and I'm glad I did.  My mistake was looking for the album to blow my mind when I just needed to let it soothe my mind.   It's not the orgasm, but it is the warm bed and awesome tingly comfortable feeling you have laying there in the minutes afterward, feeling great about life with your mate.  "North Hills" just puts me in a very good place when I listen to it now.  Can't wait to pick up the new one today, and I would love to see them in concert.  They just seem like really good dudes who do music the right way.

This mirrors my progression too.   Got into Delta Spirit when I saw Bo produced - saw Delta Spirit last year and loved, bought Middle Brother, led me to check out Dawes and Deer Tick.   I've been spewing my Deer Tick love on that thread ever since.

Johnny, you should definitely check out the whole Delta Spirit, Deer Tick, Dawes, Middle Brother niche since you are often on the prowl for new music.   Much the same way MoF led me to check out Bright Eyes and M Ward.

The (first) Dawes Album is my go-to album when I want background "hanging on the back patio" with non-music loving friends music.   That sounds like faint praise but I mean it as a compliment.   I agree w marino13 that it's great mellow / chill /feel good music.

kotchishm

Dawes played as Robbie Robertson's backup band on the Letterman on April 6 and Taylor provided backup vocals for his new album (along with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Trent Reznor, Tom Morello, and Robert Randolph).  So apparently they've got a ton of respect.  Pretty cool.  Here's the Letterman video:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/rolling-stone-video-blog/robbie-robertson-and-dawes-perform-he-dont-live-here-no-more-on-letterman-20110406
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

YouAre_GivenToFly

My progression has kind of been reverse order from yours. I saw deer tick open for jenny lewis back in '07 or '08. Instantly fell in love with Deer Tick... followed them around a bit, saw Dawes open for them in NYC and followed them. Bought the middle brother album then started getting into Delta Spirit.

Newport Folk Festival last year was perfect.... saw Jim's set, walked about 100 feet, waited 10 mins, and enjoyed Dawes.

Ruckus

A little old but a great quality video.  They always sound great live...well I've only seen them 3x but whatever.. ::)

http://www.tenthrow.com/video/watch/NTY2OTY4/dawes/rock-roll-hotel/17-nov-2009
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

YouAre_GivenToFly

Blitzen Trapper + Dawes tour dates:
10.7 - Petaluma, CA - Mystic Theater
10.8 - Santa Barbara, CA - SOHO
10.9 - San Diego, CA - Belly Up
10.10 - Pheonix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
10.11 - Tucson, AZ - Santa Fe Sol Live
10.15 - Baton Rouge, LA - Marship Theater
10.18 - Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse
10.19 - Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge
10.20 - Louisville, KY - Headliner's
10.21 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
10.22 - Carborro, NC - Cat's Cradle
10.24 - Washington, DC - Black Cat
10.26 - New York, NY - Webster Hall
10.27 - Philadelphia, PA - Theater of Living Arts
10.28 - Boston, MA - Royale
10.30 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
11.01 - Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
11.02 - Grand Rapids, MI - Calvin College
11.03 - Chicago, IL - The Metro
11.04 - Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
11.05 - Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
11.07 - Boulder, CO - Fox Theater
11.10 - Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw Theater
11.11 - Seattle, WA - The Neptune
11.13 - Eugene, OR - McDonald Theater
11.15 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore

10/7 - 10/26 Smoke Fairies open except 10/24
10/27 - 11-15 Belle Brigade opens except 11/4

Ruckus

After doing the little research required to sort out the roots of Blood and Guts as pointed out by Magh33ta, I realized I had no idea that they had 3 EPs and a full length out as Simon Dawes before their other singer/songwriter/guitarist left and they became just Dawes.  It seems like everyone here has referred to North Hills as their debut and was wondering if anyone was familiar with Carnivore, their only full length as Simon Dawes that included Blood and Guts.

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

YouAre_GivenToFly

Sidus

Recently started listening to this band and I already can't stop listening to "Nothing is wrong"  :). Great album, one of my favorites of this year so far! Some of the songs on this album are potential all-time favorites!

e_wind

Whoever said the guy from Dawes didn't contribute well to Middle Brother is duummmbbb
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

EasyRyder

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 12, 2011, 01:42 PM
Whoever said the guy from Dawes didn't contribute well to Middle Brother is duummmbbb

I totally agree. I can't seem to understand why people don't respect Goldsmith as much as Vasquez (McCauley is an exception for me, b/c him and Deer Tick are my favorite roots in this tree).

I accidentally started a fire storm in another thread about this same topic so I won't elaborate, but Goldsmith weaves some uniquely powerful imagery (in my mind at least). What a perfect storm this group is/can be!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

e_wind

Quote from: EasyRyder on Sep 12, 2011, 03:29 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Sep 12, 2011, 01:42 PM

I totally agree. I can't seem to understand why people don't respect Goldsmith as much as Vasquez (McCauley is an exception for me, b/c him and Deer Tick are my favorite roots in this tree).

I accidentally started a fire storm in another thread about this same topic so I won't elaborate, but Goldsmith weaves some uniquely powerful imagery (in my mind at least). What a perfect storm this group is/can be!

he is the best lyricist in the group, imo. Vasquez is my favorite over all singer, McCauley I think is the best songwriter that can hold his own better than the other two, but goldsmith can write some heart wrenching lyrics.

"I just wanna put my fist through some glass, I wanna put your arm in a cast, I just want you to know that I care" is one of the most powerful love-song lyrics ever for me. its super raw.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...