Main Menu

Dawes

Started by kotchishm, Jun 07, 2011, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: EasyRyder on Sep 12, 2011, 03:29 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Sep 12, 2011, 01:42 PM
Whoever said the guy from Dawes didn't contribute well to Middle Brother is duummmbbb

I totally agree. I can't seem to understand why people don't respect Goldsmith as much as Vasquez (McCauley is an exception for me, b/c him and Deer Tick are my favorite roots in this tree).

I accidentally started a fire storm in another thread about this same topic so I won't elaborate, but Goldsmith weaves some uniquely powerful imagery (in my mind at least). What a perfect storm this group is/can be!

What firestorm fanboy? ;) ;D

Seriously, I just wanted to suggest Pete Droge's Necktie Second as a compelling mid 1990's album in the same vein as Dawes that seemingly connects the styles of late 80's early 90's Petty with Dawes.  Not necessarily sure the album has aged that well but is nonetheless a solid top to bottom listen for good, straight ahead rock.  Don't be fooled by the catchy intro track because the rest of the album is quite different.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

I saw Dawes open for M.Ward last night and then they joined him onstage later as his band. I was really impressed with the musicianship. I had seen them one time before at bonnaroo, but to be honest, I was a little too into the spirit of 'roo to remember much about them. I would love some recommendations of what to listen to from this band.

marino13

They only have two albums, North Hills and Nothing Is Wrong.  I would get them both.  I probably like North Hills better but I might be in the minority.  It took me a little while to get it, but it just brings a warmth and comfort to me when I listen to it that is hard to explain. 

EasyRyder

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 13, 2011, 07:41 PM
Quote from: EasyRyder on Sep 12, 2011, 03:29 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Sep 12, 2011, 01:42 PM
Whoever said the guy from Dawes didn't contribute well to Middle Brother is duummmbbb

I totally agree. I can't seem to understand why people don't respect Goldsmith as much as Vasquez (McCauley is an exception for me, b/c him and Deer Tick are my favorite roots in this tree).

I accidentally started a fire storm in another thread about this same topic so I won't elaborate, but Goldsmith weaves some uniquely powerful imagery (in my mind at least). What a perfect storm this group is/can be!

What firestorm fanboy? ;) ;D

Seriously, I just wanted to suggest Pete Droge's Necktie Second as a compelling mid 1990's album in the same vein as Dawes that seemingly connects the styles of late 80's early 90's Petty with Dawes.  Not necessarily sure the album has aged that well but is nonetheless a solid top to bottom listen for good, straight ahead rock.  Don't be fooled by the catchy intro track because the rest of the album is quite different.

How did I miss this? Fanboy?!!  :-*

I'll be sure to give it a listen. I'm always interested in those connecting albums that straddle genres and artists....fanboy- over and out. 

P.S. Fully- I definitely agree with Mr. marino. Check out North Hills (2009). It's more stripped down than Nothing Is Here and the songwriting/storytelling is incredible.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

mahg33ta

Fully - better check them both out!   I like the new one better.

North Hills has a few songs that are my absolute favorites, but much is mid-tempo or slow and I'm rarely in the mood for the whole thing.

Nothing Is Wrong is a bit more uptempo, bit more straight ahead, but still contains great songwriting and lyrics.    For me at least, a much higher % of songs I really like.

Fully

Thanks, y'all. I'm really needing something new to listen to. I'll let you know how I like them. :dankk2:

YouAre_GivenToFly

They've done a few Daytrotter sessions, and you can check those out for free.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Fully

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Sep 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
They've done a few Daytrotter sessions, and you can check those out for free.
Niiiiice! I'll do that!

EasyRyder

Saw Dawes in Birmingham last night...anyone who mistakenly writes this band off (and Goldsmith) as a spin-off of Seth and Scott Avett needs to see them live.

It was easily one of the best shows I have seen- the band was incredibly tight and created a very warm atmosphere (even had a good bit of reverb bouncing around!).
They played a good mixture of old and new material and reworked the North Hills tunes to fit the electric set well. Those were my favorites...

Bassist, Drummer, Keyboards/Organ added so much to the experience. Not to mention Goldsmith is one of the most talented and tastefully reserved guitar players I've seen.

Peace In The Valley went on FOREVER...definitely a musical moment I won't forget! Hopefully some videos will pop up on the Youtube. This band is worth traveling to see! Go see them! Soon!   

:beer:
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: EasyRyder on Sep 23, 2011, 03:14 PM
Saw Dawes in Birmingham last night...anyone who mistakenly writes this band off (and Goldsmith) as a spin-off of Seth and Scott Avett needs to see them live.

It was easily one of the best shows I have seen- the band was incredibly tight and created a very warm atmosphere (even had a good bit of reverb bouncing around!).
They played a good mixture of old and new material and reworked the North Hills tunes to fit the electric set well. Those were my favorites...

Bassist, Drummer, Keyboards/Organ added so much to the experience. Not to mention Goldsmith is one of the most talented and tastefully reserved guitar players I've seen.

Peace In The Valley went on FOREVER...definitely a musical moment I won't forget! Hopefully some videos will pop up on the Youtube. This band is worth traveling to see! Go see them! Soon!   

:beer:

Peace in the Valley is good on their album... but absolutely BLEW ME AWAY the first time I saw it live. Reminds me a lot of Wilco's "At Least That's What You Said" with the huge guitar jam at the end... can't wait to see them in October.

Shug

I'm really glad to hear from yet another person that they have a lot of energy live.  While I really like the sound of both their albums, it becomes a bit of a snoozefest for me after just a song or two, like its just too Jackson Browne-earnest, mellow and sensitive and I really like sad songs.  After listening to the records I keep thinking I'm gonna skip their show here in PHX, but comments from those that have seen them live tell me otherwise.  I think I need to listen to you guys.  Thanks!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

mahg33ta

I have found that listening to "How Far We've Come" in the car on the way to work puts me in a good mood for the whole day.  Seriously.   Love the harmonies and the piano.

jaye

Quote from: Shug on Sep 23, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm really glad to hear from yet another person that they have a lot of energy live.  ..... I think I need to listen to you guys.  Thanks!

Yes, listen to us!   :thumbsup:   Just got home from the show and it was fantastic!

e_wind

ATO just sent me about 60 high quality "nothing is wrong" stickers. If anyone wants one I'll send em out.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Shug

I guess I'm the lone disenter in this thread, but saw Dawes last night and I was not into it.  I liked the song Western Skyline a lot, but one song ain't enough to make a good show for me.  Its weird for me to feel this way, because I'm usually all about passionate emotional expression in music, but I feel Dawes over-emote, like they are trying too hard or like it seems forced to me.  Of course I have no way of knowing what they are feeling, but to my ears, the music doesn't feel as monumental as their contorted facial expressions would suggest, especially the drummer, what is up with that dude? It was seriously distracting to me the freakish facial expressions he was making.  Maybe its just because they are young and inexperienced.  They obviously have talent, but IMO, its not yet shaped into powerful music.  Well, at least I checked 'em out and I don't have to worry anymore that I'm missing out on something I'd really like.  Not every band is gonna thrill ya, and different folks like different things.

Blitzen Trapper came on after them and their experience showed.  They had a more powerful sound to me, they played like a tight ensemble, but it didn't really look like it was so forced or so much effort.  I thought they were like a junior Wilco, not too bad.

mahg33ta

shug -  thanks for the live report.   I'm interested in all perspectives.   I'll see them next week and I'm curious.   Sounds like they are taking turns going first- I saw another review from a previous night and BT went first.   I guess that's fair on a co-headlining tour.

I've been listening to the last few BT albums and to me, they seem REALLY derivative, but I'm openminded until seeing them live.

e_wind

Quote from: Shug on Oct 11, 2011, 01:33 PM
I guess I'm the lone disenter in this thread, but saw Dawes last night and I was not into it.  I liked the song Western Skyline a lot, but one song ain't enough to make a good show for me.  Its weird for me to feel this way, because I'm usually all about passionate emotional expression in music, but I feel Dawes over-emote, like they are trying too hard or like it seems forced to me.  Of course I have no way of knowing what they are feeling, but to my ears, the music doesn't feel as monumental as their contorted facial expressions would suggest, especially the drummer, what is up with that dude? It was seriously distracting to me the freakish facial expressions he was making.  Maybe its just because they are young and inexperienced.  They obviously have talent, but IMO, its not yet shaped into powerful music.  Well, at least I checked 'em out and I don't have to worry anymore that I'm missing out on something I'd really like.  Not every band is gonna thrill ya, and different folks like different things.

Blitzen Trapper came on after them and their experience showed.  They had a more powerful sound to me, they played like a tight ensemble, but it didn't really look like it was so forced or so much effort.  I thought they were like a junior Wilco, not too bad.

I'm nota a Dawes super fan by any means, but I dig them. They definitely are extremely emotional, but I don't think they're pretending. Every video I watch of Gouldsmith he looks depressed as shit.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Shug

Quote from: mahg33ta on Oct 11, 2011, 02:17 PM
shug -  thanks for the live report.   I'm interested in all perspectives.   I'll see them next week and I'm curious.   Sounds like they are taking turns going first- I saw another review from a previous night and BT went first.   I guess that's fair on a co-headlining tour.

I've been listening to the last few BT albums and to me, they seem REALLY derivative, but I'm openminded until seeing them live.

I'd agree that Blitzen Trapper are pretty derivative, but if they are deriving from really good music and doing it well, I don't necessarily have a problem with that.  Derivation in music goes down easier for me when its not from just one particular band, but more from a genre or time period.  I also think originality is, in general in modern Western culture, over-valued.  There were certain Dawes songs that sound so much like Jackson Browne, is was uncomfortably close for me to a cover band.  That's the kind of derivative that I don't really like.

Clarkwork

Love this band, just bought their latest album and listen to it non stop.  They have that great guitar tone to them that I love.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

YouAre_GivenToFly

Seeing these guys tonight!