Wilco - The Whole Love

Started by bold99, Sep 03, 2011, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 20, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wilco has yet to "click" with me, though I've only listened to YHF a handful of times and a live album once or twice. However, I think this album is going to do it. I love the first track and Dawned on Me after just a day of listening

I'd go straight to their live DVD Ashes of American Flags.  I think their studio recordings are just rather flat templates for the brilliance of their live performances.  And I get a lot more out of the music when I'm seeing them rock out rather than just listening.  Its thrilling to me to see Glenn wail away on the drums and Nels freak out on the guitar.  Tweedy can rock some guitar solos too.  When they are in their 3 guitar mode and get into some complicated guitar arrangements, its fucking incredible, like on Impossible Germany or Handshake Drugs.  The live DVD is fucking on fire, you gotta watch it and play it REALLY LOUD!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

chaqueta sucia

SBS was ok for me not bad.  W(TA) was awful.  The new one I feel is their best in some time and better than the last two.  I just got my deluxe cd package in the mail for The Whole Love.  2 disc set of the album and unreleased album tracks as well as a 50 page book.  I am good now and can soak it all in! :D

1eyed_jack

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Sep 26, 2011, 03:08 PM
SBS was ok for me not bad.  W(TA) was awful.  The new one I feel is their best in some time and better than the last two.  I just got my deluxe cd package in the mail for The Whole Love.  2 disc set of the album and unreleased album tracks as well as a 50 page book.  I am good now and can soak it all in! :D

Wilco the Album was horrible?
I mean, it's not great, but horrible? really? why?

chaqueta sucia

Quote from: 1eyed_jack on Sep 26, 2011, 09:45 PM
Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Sep 26, 2011, 03:08 PM

Wilco the Album was horrible?
I mean, it's not great, but horrible? really? why?

Holding Wilco to higher expectations than most I listen to it was a flop in comparison to their others.  The songs were imo kind of thrown together.  Also some of the cheesiest lyrics Tweedy has ever written filled many of the songs on this album.  Bull Black Nova and One Wing were good songs but after that imo it seems like they swept up the garbage on their studio floor and released it.  Also gone was the consistent sound of SBK that that album had throughout the whole thing with tons of Nels Cline madness.  Good thing their new one is great and quite a return to form.  Again in comparison to what is released weekly by lesser artists it was ok but not Wilco worthy imo.

ChiefOKONO

Pretty fun new video -

"A Lifetime to Find" Official Music Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeQQdIlL1A