Main Menu

Tom Waits

Started by ManNamedTruth, Aug 25, 2011, 10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

New album out October 25, I look forward to getting this on vinyl. Should end up on my year's end list. I hope he tours, I've never seen him live.

Tom Waits' Private Listening Party
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

headhunter

One of the all time greats and certainly among the mosy criminally under-rated artists of all time. A true innovator.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

wolof7

every song that's previewed sounds like classic Waits....Bought 'Bad As Me' off of Itunes and it does not dissappoint...lets hope their is a tour in the works.

...in the meantime if anyone is unsure if Tom can bring it live, I excitedly hold out a telephone like Marvin Berry and say "You know that new sound you been lookin for!?! Well listen to thissss!:"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92916923
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: wolof7 on Aug 25, 2011, 10:26 PM
every song that's previewed sounds like classic Waits....Bought 'Bad As Me' off of Itunes and it does not dissappoint...lets hope their is a tour in the works.

...in the meantime if anyone is unsure if Tom can bring it live, I excitedly hold out a telephone like Marvin Berry and say "You know that new sound you been lookin for!?! Well listen to thissss!:"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92916923

Good look on the itunes single, buying now. I agree on the clips, sounds very promising. I have that show on my npr podcast, it's a good one!

The DARK

It's streaming on his website, folks. I'm not sure of the format, just cherry picking a couple songs off of youtube.

... and WOW, Hell Broke Luce.  :o
In another time, in another place, in another face

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: The DARK on Oct 18, 2011, 12:13 AM
It's streaming on his website, folks. I'm not sure of the format, just cherry picking a couple songs off of youtube.

I just requested a code from the site. I guess you have to wait for an e-mail with a code? In the meantime I guess I'll go to youtube as well.

ManNamedTruth

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 18, 2011, 02:50 PM
Quote from: The DARK on Oct 18, 2011, 12:13 AM

I just requested a code from the site. I guess you have to wait for an e-mail with a code? In the meantime I guess I'll go to youtube as well.

Got my code today!  :thumbsup:
I got invites if anyone needs them.

ManNamedTruth

oistheone

Love that performance of "Lie to Me" on Letterman! One of my favorites.

After spending a few days with the new album, I'm still blown away. Not that I'd expect any different from Tom Waits, but I'm still shocked just how far out some of these songs are. The guy is over 60 and still producing some of the weirdest, most interesting and enjoyable music I've ever heard. Are there really any words that could accurately describe "Hell Broke Luce" other than "completely" and "awesome"?

Think I might have to pick up the vinyl!

YimBlaylock

Never, ever listened to any Tom Waits before this week, but after listening to ManNamedTruth's recommendations, I went to Spotify and looked him up. Now I'm pretty much hooked. Rarely do I have such an immediate positive reaction to a new band/artist, but that's definitely the case here. I've listened to Orphans once all the way through (a long, long, long but fulfilling journey) and am about to finish Mule Variations for the 2nd time, and I already feel comfortable saying these are some of the greatest albums I ever heard. No one makes music like this guy. I think I just found another obsession. Thanks to ManNamedTruth for starting this thread. Perfect example of why I love this forum's Other Music section.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

Bad As Me is great! It's up there with my favorite albums of this year, along with The Whole Love, and Circuital. Glad you checked him out Yim. It's because of this forum years ago that I started getting into Waits. His catalogue is pretty vast, like the many styles he plays. Mule Variations is one of my favorites. Listen to Rain Dogs,  and Swordfish Trombones next, they're the albums where he started getting more experimental. Small Change, and Closing Time will give you a feel for his earlier stuff. One thing you'll notice is the consistency and that he's never made a bad album.

wolof7

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 29, 2011, 11:47 AM
Never, ever listened to any Tom Waits before this week, but after listening to ManNamedTruth's recommendations, I went to Spotify and looked him up. Now I'm pretty much hooked. Rarely do I have such an immediate positive reaction to a new band/artist, but that's definitely the case here. I've listened to Orphans once all the way through (a long, long, long but fulfilling journey) and am about to finish Mule Variations for the 2nd time, and I already feel comfortable saying these are some of the greatest albums I ever heard. No one makes music like this guy. I think I just found another obsession. Thanks to ManNamedTruth for starting this thread. Perfect example of why I love this forum's Other Music section.

Nice Yim, Mule Variations is what got me hooked, still stands as one of my favorites from Waits...Orphans is awesome. I actually really liked his last Real Gone too.....Bad As Me has not left my record player since I got it and agree with Truth that its up there with Circuital and Whole Love as favorites of the yr. You gotta get to Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs next.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

YimBlaylock

"Cold Water" from Mule Variations has just blown me away. 3 chord blues at its best. Gonna look into Bad As Me next. Then go back swordfishtrombones and rain dogs.
It's all happening.

lucylew

Seeing Tom Waits with the Kronos Quartet a few years ago blew me away.  A sonic and visual feast.  I would love to see him again.

Mr. White

Daniel Martin Moore does a good job covering Tom's Picture In A Frame from 1999's Mule Variations. It is one of the 10 songs on his new Archives Vol. 1 release that has just come out (available on Pledge Music and at his live shows). I recorded this version of Picture In A Frame last Friday, October 11, 2013 at Natasha's in Lexington, Kentucky. I had posted this same video on the Daniel Martin Moore thread, but I don't think many on the Forum have given it a listen yet. So...I reposted it here, since it is one of Tom Waits' best slow songs.

Daniel Martin Moore - Picture In A Frame - Natasha's - Lexington, Ky. - 10/11/2013

Mr. Eddie Vedder does a pretty good cover as well.

Eddie Vedder - Picture In A Frame
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

ManNamedTruth

Nice timing for a thread bump, unexpectedly found an original press of Swordfishtrombones today at the store.

Mr. White

Here is the first song Tom played last night, October 27, 2013, at the Bridge School benefit show. It was recorded by the same person who recorded MMJ and Neil doing Oh Sweet Nuthin' (Nik Houser).

Tom Waits "Raised Right Men" Live Acoustic @ Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline 10-27-2013

Mr. White

Mr. White