Main Menu

Dawes

Started by kotchishm, Jun 07, 2011, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Oct 27, 2011, 09:47 AM
Seeing these guys tonight!

Saw them last night. It was packed in there---
Great show, I loved Blitzen Trapper a bit more but Dawes were good..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mahg33ta

here are the boston set times:
•   Bowery Boston
LOW TICKET ALERT! Friday's Dawes and Blitzen Trapper show at Royale is almost sold out! Get your tickets now. *Please note, this is an early show. Set times (subject to change): Doors 5:30/ The Belle Brigade 6:00/ Dawes 6:45/ Blitzen Trapper 8:00

I think they are alternating each night, but looks like an hour for Dawes -that's a bummer.... it's made me down on the co-headliner idea, but may BT will be a pleasant surprise.   I for sure would rather see Dawes later in the night, after a chance to get settled and a few beers...

mahg33ta

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 27, 2011, 09:52 AM

Saw them last night. It was packed in there---
Great show, I loved Blitzen Trapper a bit more but Dawes were good..

penny, see the note I posted at the same time....
who played first and how long was each set?

Glad to hear BT was good- I respect your opinion and it made me look forward to this a bit more...

YouAre_GivenToFly

Fingers crossed for a long set from Dawes tonight... if those Boston times are any indication I would guess Dawes goes on last tonight?
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Penny Lane

I was hoping BT would headline this show but they played about the same amount. Dawes have two beautiful albums but to me, it's kind of a sleepy show (but still good). Also, it was an 18 and over show, so lots of teenage girls up front.

BT is so kick ass, they did Furr as a slower sing-a-long version and the new songs sound terrific. Trying to remember the setlist, Wild Mountain Nation was great.

Smoke Fairies 8
BT on at 8:45
Dawes on at 10:15

I didn't stay for all of Dawes but Webster Hall shows tend to end early to open for the nightclub later, so my guess is they played till about 11:45-12am. I would say both played for 1.5 hours.

In Boston, BT will probably play for longer if the Royale allows it.

mahg33ta

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 27, 2011, 11:22 AM
I was hoping BT would headline this show but they played about the same amount. Dawes have two beautiful albums but to me, it's kind of a sleepy show (but still good). Also, it was an 18 and over show, so lots of teenage girls up front.

BT is so kick ass, they did Furr as a slower sing-a-long version and the new songs sound terrific. Trying to remember the setlist, Wild Mountain Nation was great.

Smoke Fairies 8

I didn't stay for all of Dawes but Webster Hall shows tend to end early to open for the nightclub later, so my guess is they played till about 11:45-12am. I would say both played for 1.5 hours.

thanks!  but damn, I'm feeling a little cheated on set-times if each played 90 minutes.

Penny Lane

Quote from: mahg33ta on Oct 27, 2011, 11:59 AM

Smoke Fairies 8

thanks!  but damn, I'm feeling a little cheated on set-times if each played 90 minutes.

one of my friends i saw the show with last night is traveling to Boston for that show Fri night! i've never been to the Royale but look forward to seeing some Deer Tick/Felice Bros there in a few weeks.

mahg33ta

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 27, 2011, 01:04 PM

Smoke Fairies 8

one of my friends i saw the show with last night is traveling to Boston for that show Fri night! i've never been to the Royale but look forward to seeing some Deer Tick/Felice Bros there in a few weeks.

That's another thought going through my head today, since that's the same venue.   As you probably know, Royale turns into a more traditional nightclub on Fridays which is why these shows are early.   Deer Tick/Felice is a Friday too... but, they don't have a 3rd band/opener which should help.   But I'm pumped to see FB too, so if one is longer than the other, I won't be as worked up.   But here, I'm definitely (maybe wrongly) more pumped for Dawes than BT.

Mrs mahg33ta doesn't want to be down w/ the crazies for Deer Tick, so another mission tonight is to scout out a good nook/balcony for Nov 18.

Penny Lane

Quote from: mahg33ta on Oct 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 27, 2011, 01:04 PM

Smoke Fairies 8

That's another thought going through my head today, since that's the same venue.   As you probably know, Royale turns into a more traditional nightclub on Fridays which is why these shows are early.   Deer Tick/Felice is a Friday too... but, they don't have a 3rd band/opener which should help.   But I'm pumped to see FB too, so if one is longer than the other, I won't be as worked up.   But here, I'm definitely (maybe wrongly) more pumped for Dawes than BT.

Mrs mahg33ta doesn't want to be down w/ the crazies for Deer Tick, so another mission tonight is to scout out a good nook/balcony for Nov 18.

ha ha that night=crazies==Penny + friends...

mahg33ta

so my report back-  Dawes did indeed play from 6:45 to 7:45.   Tough time to get into live music, but we did our best (in fact the opener started with "good morning" at 6 pm).

I really enjoyed the set - I don't think it's mindblowing stuff musically or especially thoughtprovoking, but I like the songs, and they won me over personality wise.  The lead singer was singing his heart out, but not in an overly corny way (local paper review said he was rick moranis like which is overly harsh).   Drummer's faces kept cracking me up but again, in an endearing way (reminded me of Beaker from muppets).

Setlist-wise I couldn't have been happier-  somewhere on another thread I made my top 10 dawes songs for Ruckus and out of 10 dawes songs they played, they played 9 of mine.. wow!  plus Kodachrome as a cover which I thought was great but made me feel pretty darn old.

They ended with "see you Boston, back sooner than you think" which I'm not sure was rock goodbye 101 or anything meaningful but it was a good time, definitely worth getting out of the house for on a Friday night.

Penny Lane

I heard Dawes played a really great set.
What did you think of BT? (I also heard Belle Brigade was good)..that's so early...wow.

YouAre_GivenToFly

I saw the show in philly on Thursday.

The drummer from Dawes cracks me up. Strange movements and faces, but did you see how basic his kit was? He plays the hell out of it.

Belle Brigade opened up, and they were pretty good. I recognized the female singer, she was Jenny Lewis' drummer for her solo tours. BT was next. I'm not completely blown away by them, not a fan of the guys voice, and some of the guitar solos seemed out of place or forced, but they were energetic and warmed the crowd up quite well.

I had high hopes for Dawes' set, and they kind of blew me away. They played as a 5 piece that night, adding a guitarist who really knew their material and actually added valuable depth to the songs. They played a fantastic mix of old and new, and really, really rocked the place. As much as they may sound like a studio band on their albums, they seriously bring it. "Peace in the Valley" had an awesome descending rock jam at the end, in the vein of "At Least That's What You Said" or Crazy Horse/Neil. You could hear a pin drop during the quieter songs, and the band seemed to genuinely enjoy hearing the crowd sing back during "When My Time Comes". Definitely one of the best shows I've seen this year.

ralph

Just annoucned theyre playing Bluesfest (same festival MMJ are coming out for) in April.  Listening to the Daytrotter sessions as its proving hard to track down their records here. They sound great.

What chance they are added as the supprt for the Jacket sideshows? That would be pretty cool...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ralph

While i wait for my imported copies to arrive I 'aquired' both records over the weekend. I think each time I listen to them I get a new favorite song!

At the moment its Million Dollar Bill...

ralph

Quote from: ralph on Dec 21, 2011, 08:46 PM
Just annoucned theyre playing Bluesfest (same festival MMJ are coming out for) in April.  Listening to the Daytrotter sessions as its proving hard to track down their records here. They sound great.

What chance they are added as the supprt for the Jacket sideshows? That would be pretty cool...

Ha!  ;) Added as support for the Jacket shows!

e_wind

Quote from: ralph on Jan 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
While i wait for my imported copies to arrive I 'aquired' both records over the weekend. I think each time I listen to them I get a new favorite song!

At the moment its Million Dollar Bill...

middle brothers version of million dollar bill is fucking amazing.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mahg33ta

Dawes, feat. Mumford & Sons - "When My Time Comes"

Dawes w/ Mumford and sons.   Johnny Corndawg and Johnny Mac from Deer Tick make a guest appearance.

Murph

http://www.summerstage.org/calendar/dawes-kurt-vile-and-the-violators/

I will most definitely be going to this one.  Never been to one of these free shows in Central Park, do you need tickets or do I just show up?

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Murph on Apr 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
http://www.summerstage.org/calendar/dawes-kurt-vile-and-the-violators/

I will most definitely be going to this one.  Never been to one of these free shows in Central Park, do you need tickets or do I just show up?

Free?!?! Nice!!

weeniebeenie

I hadn't heard any Dawes before they supported MMJ but I thought they were really good musicians and I liked When My Time Comes a lot. I wasn't too fussed about the other songs though. But I had that one song stuck in my head all through Bluesfest so I just might have to give them another chance.
How loud can silence get?