[DVD9] MMJ - April 28, 2010 - Charleston, SC

Started by baustin, May 04, 2010, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

here's how to download and burn this, or at least how I would do it.

1.) download bittorrent client, I like this one:
http://www.utorrent.com/

2.) install, it setups pretty much everything up for you automatically, the only thing you might want to designate is where the bittorrent files are downloaded to.  this will come up during the install as an option like any other program would do it.

after that you have the client and can download bit torrent files.

3.) download the bittorrent file (the tiny file) from the link the OP posted.  This should download and then open it.  a box will pop up in utorrent with all the files that in the torrent, just click ok or whatever and it'll queue/start downloading.   It's very obvious

the process of downloading will take a awhile but in the end you are all downloading that same file, the speed is an exponential growth sort of thing.  the more seeders, means the more bandwidth, which means the faster the speeds are.  if there are way more leechers/people downloading than there are seeding it bogs it down.

imagine if you're on a cable modem which is capped at like 120kb per second or something upload speed wise.  if you host it and are the only one seeding it and then people try and download it from you you're sharing that 120kb/per second and dividing it up between the different people.  the people in turn will get speeds closer to 10kb or 20kb per second.  if that makes any sense.

so the more seeders the faster it goes for everyone.

the download bar is straight forward, it gives you a percent and tells you whether or not your downloading, seeding, complete, etc.  you might say "well I don't want 1000 other people connecting to my computer".  this only effects your computer while the client is open.  once you close the client or shut  your computer off or whatever people aren't downloading from you anymore so it's fairly safe in that regard.

to burn it you need a burning program like nero or something:

http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/nerodvd.htm

there are free ones on the net that do the same stuff, I'm at work otherwise I'd find a link.

hope some of this makes sense.

Ruckus

Just as an addon.  As baustin wrote, this required dvd9/DL discs and a burner capable of burning dvd9/DLs.  Unfortunately mine can't so I have to have my friend do it.  Typically it will say on your disc tray cover
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

johnnYYac

Also, not all DVD players are created equal.  If you burn a dual layer disc, you might not be able to play it on the DVD player in your living room.  I have a very nice LG BluRay player with wireless internet.  It plays everything I've ever put into it (I think it would even play an English muffin, though I'm not sure what I'd see or hear).  Some DVD players cannot play DVD+R discs, nor dual layer, so you'd be stuck watching it on your computer monitor.  

Not that we're made of money, but may I HIGHLY recommend this LG BluRay player.  Its a bit expensive, but CNET and Consumer Reports rated it a top unit and it does it all (except 3D).  I can stream Netflix and YouTube, rent HD movies, and even tap into my computer's media files, so I'm listening to the MPP bootleg (for instance) through my 7.1 surround system!  Here's more on the LG player (around $300):

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/lg-bd390/4505-9991_7-33488056.html?tag=mncol;lst;4
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Oh, I almost forgot...

THANK YOU, baustin!!!

BH

Quote It plays everything I've ever put into it (I think it would even play an English muffin, though I'm not sure what I'd see or hear).

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Erik26

QuoteAlso, not all DVD players are created equal.  If you burn a dual layer disc, you might not be able to play it on the DVD player in your living room.  I have a very nice LG BluRay player with wireless internet.  It plays everything I've ever put into it (I think it would even play an English muffin, though I'm not sure what I'd see or hear).  Some DVD players cannot play DVD+R discs, nor dual layer, so you'd be stuck watching it on your computer monitor.  

Not that we're made of money, but may I HIGHLY recommend this LG BluRay player.  Its a bit expensive, but CNET and Consumer Reports rated it a top unit and it does it all (except 3D).  I can stream Netflix and YouTube, rent HD movies, and even tap into my computer's media files, so I'm listening to the MPP bootleg (for instance) through my 7.1 surround system!  Here's more on the LG player (around $300):

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/lg-bd390/4505-9991_7-33488056.html?tag=mncol;lst;4
That definitely sounds like an awesome blue ray player. I have a PS3, it also automatically upgrades through wireless updates. Not sure what they charge for PS3's in the US but I bet it is the same or less than that Lg player.

I'm getting 500 Kb/s right now!! More than 50% done!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

jones

Quote It plays everything I've ever put into it (I think it would even play an English muffin, though I'm not sure what I'd see or hear).

Well played, sir.  

And now, off to the bakery...

BH

Well played, sir.  

;D  Don't forget to roll it in flour so it doesn't stick to everything.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

el_chode

QuoteOk, I don't know torrents very well. Where is the button to start the download???? all I get is a 50.3Kb file called mmj torent or something.

I typically use utorrent (mutorrent) as well, which I find to be a great client. I don't torrent often though, so this may be bad info. But you just open the torrent file that you download with the program and go from there.
I'm surrounded by assholes

mjkoehler

Well played, sir.  

I knew there was a reason I loved eating english muffins.

johnnYYac

Okay, I just burned the first DVD and watched most of it.  Awesome!

On my 32 inch 1080p LCD flatscreen at 10 feet away with 7.1 surround, its the best non-commercial concert video I've seen and heard, with the exception of Rockpalast.

What sucks is it was my last DVD+R Dual Layer disc, so I'm off to the store this weekend for a spindle.  

If folks are having trouble, you can mail me two DVD+R or DVD-R Dual Layer discs.  I will burn them for you.  Send in a reusable envelope and enclose return postage.  That's all I ask.  

I use Lightscribe discs, so I will be creating a custom DVD label that is burned into the label side.  If you want that, you'll have to send me two Lightscribe DVD+/-R Dual Layer discs.  I'll post an image of the label once I create it, probably this weekend.

Otherwise, I'll let you label the discs.  I'll just mark 'em 1 and 2 with Post Its.

Again, thanks baustin for sharing this and taking the time to frame, zoom, and otherwise monitor this great recording.  I made it to the first three shows, but this recording provides me with a lot of tunes I didn't see, but really wanted to.  I really appreciate it.

Thank You Too MMJ for letting him record without hassles.  What modesty, confidence, and trust these fine musicians have, such respect for their fans that they let us share their work.  One more reason.  One more reason.

EDIT: Be sure to check that the DVD player you hope to play this on will play dual layer discs.  Your computer likely will, and probably most bluray and game consoles will.  Check your DVD player's manual.  

PM or EMAIL for the address.

Erik26

Do I have to burn the file to watch it? Can't seem to get it to work...Anyways, I'm going to ship some blank DVD's down to you Johnny. Thanks for putting that offer out there.

johnnYYac

QuoteDo I have to burn the file to watch it? Can't seem to get it to work...Anyways, I'm going to ship some blank DVD's down to you Johnny. Thanks for putting that offer out there.

If you've downloaded the file via torrent, you should be able to watch it using Windows Media Player, right from the hard drive.   Baustin put chapter breaks between each song and WMP doesn't let you jump between chapters, but the burned DVD does.  

BH

FYI, I don't think this is actually encouraged by the band.  They have never made a big deal about it before but audio is cool, video is not.   Again, I'm not complaining because I'm reaping the benefits, but I just wanted to pass along what I think is the general policy.

Erik26

I am interested to know what the band thinks now that you mention it. With so many of their shows available archive and other sources I didn't think one video would be a big deal...However, with the quality attained in this recording being high enough for sales I could see them not liking it to much.

johnnYYac

I definitely respect any word from MMJ or management if they want us to cool it with respect to sharing this video.  I don't see anyone talking about selling it, but if video bootlegs cross the line, just say the word.

My offer to help people out if they're having trouble making a copy may have been ill conceived.  I meant well.  If I do make someone a copy, I don't profit in any way except for the love and gratitude I'd expect from a fellow fan.  

I wonder... was there any conversation or word from MMJ when Rockpalast came out?  This pro-shot DVD from Germany (2008) was available via some torrent sites and The Steam Engine blog.  It came with labeling that encouraged free sharing.  I have seen one website selling Rockpalast for $20; that shit should be shut down!  Otherwise, I always regarded it as cool since it fell within the spirit of audio recordings- shared without profit.  

Jon T.

If this is kosher, I would love to get a copy of this if someone is doing that.  I'll send whatever I need.  please and thank you!

Jon T.

I guess I should have read the wholethread...  :-[

I would like to send some to you JohnnYYac, will you let us know if/when you close up shop?

Thanks.

eleaf14

I have a couple of tech questions. I am running a Macbook pro w/ Leopard as my operating system...perhaps someone who is in a similar boat can explain this to me.

I had a successful download of the files last night...and after downloading a software to read VOB files I was able to watch them all from my computer. Check off step 1.

I then headed out and grabbed some blanks. 4.7gb 120 min. I am assuming standard DVDR's.

This being my first attempt at burning DVD's. I am not sure if the mac is set up with software to burn DVD's. I couldnt figure out iDVD. So I downloaded a free DVD burning software called Burn for the mac.

Anyhow...I can get the files to load...but it will only recognize the .VOB files from the folders and not the other stuff in each file (.IFO, .BUP).

So I loaded up just the VOB files 1-5 from the disc 1 folder...and the last one would not check out. Then I tried burning the 1st 4 files...and it worked. It doesnt load automatically on my DVD player (4 year old samsung), but if you hit next chapter on the remote it loads up...with the intro screen and all that you see in the beginning...but none of the selection features work.

Anyhow...since I only burned the 1st 4 files...I tried to burn the last file on its own disc...but its no dice...reads error. The same thing happened when I went to do disc 2. So I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Looking at the file size of each folder though...maybe the file size is greater than the disc space...maybe that is my problem.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.