Howlin' Rain - The Russian Wilds

Started by bold992006, Feb 22, 2012, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bold992006

Anyone a fan of these guys?  The new album is excellent.

buaawwww

So glad to see somebody start this thread.  I absolutely love this band, they are my new obsession right now.  I've had all their other stuff.  I actually had the opportunity to see them at a SIRIUS XM taping here in NYC (sponsored by RELIX).  I won 2 tickets to see them at the Living Room, tiny place downtown in the city, for an acoustic taping.  The taping was only like a half hour but I got to hang out with the band for a while.  What an awesome bunch of guys, so unbelieveably nice.  I told Ethan Miller I wanted to buy a t shirt but unfortunately they didn't have any at the show.  He pulls out this huge beat up suitcase and opens it up and all their merch is sitting there lol, so I bought a shirt off him and took a picture with the whole band as they were loading their van after the gig.  Such a great time.

Oh and the new album is great.  I can't stop listening to "Strange Thunder"...

kotchishm

Quote from: buaawwww on Feb 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
So glad to see somebody start this thread.  I absolutely love this band, they are my new obsession right now.  I've had all their other stuff.  I actually had the opportunity to see them at a SIRIUS XM taping here in NYC (sponsored by RELIX).  I won 2 tickets to see them at the Living Room, tiny place downtown in the city, for an acoustic taping.  The taping was only like a half hour but I got to hang out with the band for a while.  What an awesome bunch of guys, so unbelieveably nice.  I told Ethan Miller I wanted to buy a t shirt but unfortunately they didn't have any at the show.  He pulls out this huge beat up suitcase and opens it up and all their merch is sitting there lol, so I bought a shirt off him and took a picture with the whole band as they were loading their van after the gig.  Such a great time.

Any recomendation on which album to start with?  Key songs?
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Ruckus

I know there are some other fans on this forum...Chode?  bbill?

I only had Magnificent Fiend before this new one Kotch and I highly recommend it top to bottom.  It just rocks!  I still haven't listened to Russian Wilds but I hope to give it a listen tonight. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

buaawwww

Quote from: kotchishm on Feb 27, 2012, 01:12 PM

I am always of the mindset that you start from the beginning and work your way up to the present.  Their first self-titled is really good, key songs for me on it would be "Calling Lighting With A Scythe" and "Roll On The Rusted Days".  The second album is "Magnificent Fiend" and it's just awesome (key songs again for me would be "Dancers At The End Of Time", "Lord Have Mercy", and "Riverboat").  They also have a 3 song EP and all 3 songs are really good here (they do a killer cover of Hendrix' "Burning of the Midnight Lamp"). 
As for the new one, right now "Strange Thunder", "Phantom in the Valley" and "Beneath Wild Wings" are my favorites.  I hope that helps!  Killer band and the nicest bunch of guys.  Really hope they get the recognition they deserve!

bold992006

Great to hear!  I love this band and the new album is amazing.

btw my Howlin' Rain T-shirt is my favorite band shirt.

kotchishm

Quote from: buaawwww on Feb 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Quote from: kotchishm on Feb 27, 2012, 01:12 PM

I am always of the mindset that you start from the beginning and work your way up to the present.  Their first self-titled is really good, key songs for me on it would be "Calling Lighting With A Scythe" and "Roll On The Rusted Days".  The second album is "Magnificent Fiend" and it's just awesome (key songs again for me would be "Dancers At The End Of Time", "Lord Have Mercy", and "Riverboat").  They also have a 3 song EP and all 3 songs are really good here (they do a killer cover of Hendrix' "Burning of the Midnight Lamp"). 
As for the new one, right now "Strange Thunder", "Phantom in the Valley" and "Beneath Wild Wings" are my favorites.  I hope that helps!  Killer band and the nicest bunch of guys.  Really hope they get the recognition they deserve!

Alright cool I'll check  them out tonight.  Thanks
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Penny Lane

Loving this new album...especially Collage...part YES, part CSNY
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold992006

I saw these guys a few years ago and I've wanted to see them ever since...no Boston Shows on this tour.  I know they were here opening for the Black Crowes last year.  I'd love to see these guys at Forecastle.

pawpaw

Hell yeah, great band! The new album is awesome, though all their releases are worth a listen. The new one is as good a place to start as any. I'd also recommend checking out Comets on Fire and Six Organs of Admittance, as they're part of the family tree of these musicians. Great live band too, see them if you can.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ChiefOKONO

Just wanted to bump this thread... I think the Russian Wilds is a masterpiece and I love it every time I listen - Just heard it again after a while.  To me, it is one of the best rock n' roll albums of the last decade and everyone should give it a listen.

They just released some live tracks here which are nice and I liked their newest album The Alligator Bride, a lot but not quite as much as Russian Wilds.

https://silvercurrent.bandcamp.com/album/under-the-wheels-vol-1