Main Menu

Gary Clark Jr.

Started by columba78, May 17, 2011, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Quote from: marino13 on Feb 28, 2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewhitehouse/video.php

Anyone else catch his performance from the White House on PBS last night.  By plain luck I stumbled on it and the show was very good.  Above is the link to the clips, some of which didn't air on the original broadcast.  I also think I need to buy the Tedeschi Trucks album.

I caught most of it; I stumbled on it too and glad I did. I thought Gary almost stole the show, and I'm a giant Jeff Beck, Buddy, B.B., Mick, Trucks and Haynes fan. Keb Mo rocked too.

EasyRyder

just heard "When My Train Pulls In" for the first time  :o

Gary and Jim would jam so well together...lovin' this one
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

marino13

Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
just heard "When My Train Pulls In" for the first time  :o

Gary and Jim would jam so well together...lovin' this one

Definitely my favorite of his.  I was playing this for my 8 yr. old after we watched the White House performance (she is an avid music lover and performer).  She said "It sounds like he's playing two guitars!"

tdb810

I am SO hoping that he is on the Forecastle lineup!
.....Back at the Model Home

marino13

I am on the fence whether to go, but that would pretty much seal the deal for me.

johnnYYac

Live Daytrotter session from SXSW @ 4:30 EST: http://www.daytrotter.com/#!/live/
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Oh, I wish I had seen this an hour ago!! I'm on a grading deadline and I've got to get me some music to get me through this!!!!! (I've already had waaaay too much caffiene. :D <me on too much caffiene)

I love listening to him. He's one of my favorite newer artists.

subinai

gary clark jr is streaming from sxsw tonight at 6pm EST on youtube.com/fuse

enjoy

Fully

Gary's got a new song out. I didn't like it at first, but I think I like parts of it? It just isn't as badass dirty blues as when I've seen him play. But it isn't bad.

http://youtu.be/EyFFuEY_S6Q

Tracklist for Blac and Blu:
Click here to find out more!   Gary Clark Jr. reveals title, tracklist for debut album      By Alex Young        on September 12th, 2012        in  New Music, News             

Festival titan Gary Clark Jr. has revealed more details for his upcoming major label debut (and one of the season's top releases.) Blak and Blu spans 13 tracks and includes "Ain't Messin 'Round" as the lead single, which you can listen to below.
In addition to 12 original compositions, the album includes a hybrid cover of Little Johnny Taylor's (popularized by Albert Collins) "If You Love Me Like You Say" and Jimi Hendrix's Third Stone From The Sun".
Clark Jr. co-produced the album alongside Mike Elizondo (Mastodon, Fiona Apple, Dr. Dre) and Rob Cavallo (Green Day, My Chemical Romance). Elizondo also played bass on many of the tracks, while J.J. Johnson and Zac Rae supplied drums and keyboard.
Blak and Blu hits stores on October 22nd via Warner Bros.

Blak and Blu Tracklist:
01. Ain't Messin 'Round
02. When My Train Pulls In
03. Blak and Blu
04. Bright Lights
05. Travis County
06. The Life
07. Glitter Ain't Gold (Jumpin' For Nothin')
08. Numb
09. Please Come Home
10. Things Are Changin'
11. Third Stone From The Sun/If You Love Me Like You Say
12. You Saved Me
13. Next Door Neighbor Blues 

MarkW

Quote from: Fully on Sep 12, 2012, 09:14 PM
Gary's got a new song out. I didn't like it at first, but I think I like parts of it? It just isn't as badass dirty blues as when I've seen him play. But it isn't bad.

Meh.  It's a bit Lenny Kravitz isn't it?  What happened to the EP sound?
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Fully

Quote from: MarkW on Sep 13, 2012, 04:51 AM
Quote from: Fully on Sep 12, 2012, 09:14 PM

Meh.  It's a bit Lenny Kravitz isn't it?  What happened to the EP sound?

He had a couple of songs on the EP that I didn't like either. I really prefer it when he gets dirty on his guitar. That's his strength.

MarkW

Quote from: Fully on Sep 13, 2012, 09:38 AMI really prefer it when he gets dirty on his guitar.

Couldn't agree more.  In truth, you could say that about almost any artist/band I like.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

subinai

shot in the dark but anybody know the fanclub presale code?

oistheone

Just listened to the new track, and while I certainly wasn't expecting those horns or the general Blues Brothers-esque production vibe, I gotta say, I dig it! The solo sounds amazing. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

joely_91

i think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the album... he's said numerous times that its going to have all sorts of influences over it. I believe there is a RnB number on it to. I think people expecting a full on blues rock album along the line of bright lights should lower expectations   :undecided:

jimsflyingv

Quote from: joely_91 on Sep 27, 2012, 01:20 AM
i think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the album... he's said numerous times that its going to have all sorts of influences over it. I believe there is a RnB number on it to. I think people expecting a full on blues rock album along the line of bright lights should lower expectations   :undecided:

Agreed, nevertheless it it the album I am looking forward for the most 

paloozajam

saw this cat the last day at bonnaroo and he was shredding like crazy. really digged his set. missed him at Made in America both days b/c friends didnt wanna go. i know he's playing in NYC soon but i personally like seeing him at festivals since he plays them all

oistheone

Quote from: joely_91 on Sep 27, 2012, 01:20 AM

He's been all over the map in his live shows so I expect the album to be a similar grab bag of styles. He's just as comfortable hammering out nasty licks on "Catfish Blues" as he is singing falsetto on the borderline doo-wop "Please Come Home". The variety is actually what I'm most looking forward to about the album!

I'm actually trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to pre-order through Warner. I've had nothing but bad experiences pre-ordering with Warner in the past, buttttttttt for $30 you not only get the album, but recordings of two live shows -- which entices me greatly. Decisions, decisions...

joely_91

Haven't seen him live yet but I plan to when he makes his return to Australia on our big day out festival next year. I'm liking the diversity I've heard, I just think a few people may be expecting something that isn't going to happen. Regardless I think it will be a very entertaining album. I definitely will preorder the album from his site for the shirt, live shows and he bonus tracks. I may pick up an2nd copy of the album from local store as well :)

subinai