steam engine lyric...

Started by arch_stanton, Nov 04, 2003, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arch_stanton

hello groovy individuals with discerning taste,

can anyone enlighten me as to who/what/where is "old jebus" or "red patoka sea" ???  thanks for your help!

p.s. i know some of you have heard the "review" on NPR by ken tucker. i think it would be most productive, particularly in this forum, to discuss the enhancement of mr. tucker's musical exposure. i suggest the tarring and feathering of ken tucker to the musical accompaniment of the Dead Kennedy's Plastic Surgery Disasters.

hipkink

What'd he say? As for the lyrics, I think that was discussed somewhere else on the board... can't... remember... looks like I have a case of the mondays! :P
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

arch_stanton

sorry, i hesitate to post the link as it may be construed as promotion/advertisement for NPR. i assure y'all it is not. it is simply that that pretentious little puke ken tucker needs to be called on the carpet.... :-X

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1431768

hipkink

Yeah. He's really critical of Jim's lyrics. I like it when he talks about how Jim needs to work on his syntax and structuring. HE WORKS FOR ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY as a rock critic!!! Hmmm. Maybe he has some writing tips for Bob Dylan too. Really though... I wouldn't take any advice from Entertainment Weekly's music critic. He's probably in love with Mandy Moore's new album. :D
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

oh_flipper

what the hell? how can someone have the gall to comment on the lyrics from 'it still moves' without mentioning, for example, the pure beauty of something like 'it wasn't till I woke up that I could hold down a joke or a job or a dream'.
Dave Eggers talked about critics in an interview I read a while back and gets it exactly right: critics have 'got to stop tearing apart and doubting the people who are obviously, clearly, doing good work.'
It's sad how so many people want to tear something beautiful apart just to bring it back down to a tangible level, something they can feel superior to.
it's an interesting interview altogether, the link is http://www.armchairnews.com/freelance/eggers.html for those interested.
now i'm gonna go back to listening to the best bad grammar ever to find its way onto a set of speakers.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Man, this business of tearing apart the syntax is just elitist crap.

Beauty is beauty.  What, we have to consult this turd before we think something is good??

Not.  >:(

His attempts to invalidate Jim's fantastic lyrics...is irrevalant.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Kaija Campos

Hello tasteful person,

"old jebus", as far as I know, is Jesus. The "red patoka sea" is something I'm still researching. It could be a variant on the Red Sea, but what the heck is "patoka"? I'll find out (rabidly determined -- I LOVE iconoclastic song lyrics!)

-- Kaija

peanut butter puddin surprise

I think it's a reference to Patoka Lake in Indiana, fairly close to the Louisville/Shelbyville area...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

sillyboob

Quote from: peanut butter puddin surprise on Nov 10, 2003, 12:59 PM
I think it's a reference to Patoka Lake in Indiana, fairly close to the Louisville/Shelbyville area...

Here's a bit of a bump.

Anyone been able to track down that Red Patoka Sea?  Is it this lake?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

johnnYYac

Quote from: sillyboob on Nov 15, 2017, 07:18 PM
Quote from: peanut butter puddin surprise on Nov 10, 2003, 12:59 PM

Here's a bit of a bump.

Anyone been able to track down that Red Patoka Sea?  Is it this lake?
That's a helluva time jump in that bump! Almost 14 years to the day.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Lonndown27

i love bumps JUST LIKE THIS!!!!! We must celebrate the history of this beautiful forum! I love going back and reading the long threads. SillyBoob, just shows how much you care that you even tracked this thread down.

Beautiful people!!!!

maybe Jim had some crazy acid party with some hot chick in a night of psycheelic unrequited love under the moon over the lake in summer.....thats the images that go into my mind  (not necessarily of Jim but of anyone) when I hear the song
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

brocklanders

I grew up about an hour west of Patoka Lake.  I'm convinced the lyric is referring to Patoka Lake in Indiana.  Although I've never heard it called Red Patoka Sea.  Many good memories of that place, including cliff jumping.  This song always takes me back there.  I've always wondered the story behind the final part but at the same time I kinda don't wanna know.

And then there is One in the Same.  Such a great fucking song.