Main Menu

Futurebirds

Started by Ruckus, Mar 30, 2011, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davymac

Is anyone going to catch the athens show Nov 1 at the ga theater?

EverythingChanges

I really want to like these guys.  They have this melancholic sound I love so much, but it is almost too country-ish for my tastes.  Can anyone please tell me I am wrong and to give them a try with a decent argument to back it up? haha
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Fully

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 19, 2012, 01:33 AM
I really want to like these guys.  They have this melancholic sound I love so much, but it is almost too country-ish for my tastes.  Can anyone please tell me I am wrong and to give them a try with a decent argument to back it up? haha
Do you like early My Morning Jacket? If so, this band fills that void since they aren't making this type of music any longer. I'm seeing them with Heartless Bastards Nov. 2 in Nashville. I would have seen them last fall, but traffic congestion on a two lane country road prevented me from getting to the venue in a timely manner.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Fully on Oct 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Do you like early My Morning Jacket? If so, this band fills that void since they aren't making this type of music any longer. I'm seeing them with Heartless Bastards Nov. 2 in Nashville. I would have seen them last fall, but traffic congestion on a two lane country road prevented me from getting to the venue in a timely manner.

Of course I do! I just saw an Ski Chalet video, which was some good shit!

zanjam

You are wrong.  And I completely understand.  I had never seen them and had given some of their stuff a listen on Spotify and couldn't really see what the big deal was.  I didn't get the "early MMJ" vibe from it at all.  I was a little bored with what I heard, and didn't think too much of them.  I then saw them open for White Denim in August and OMG they just blew me away!  Their energy, the songs, THE GUITARS...they were fantastic.  I SO got the early MMJ thing but they definitely are not MMJ copycats.  Really melodic, rocking, cool tunes.  But country tinged for sure.  I loved them!
anything + reverb always = better

zanjam

Quote from: zanjam on Oct 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
You are wrong.  And I completely understand.  I had never seen them and had given some of their stuff a listen on Spotify and couldn't really see what the big deal was.  I didn't get the "early MMJ" vibe from it at all.  I was a little bored with what I heard, and didn't think too much of them.  I then saw them open for White Denim in August and OMG they just blew me away!  Their energy, the songs, THE GUITARS...they were fantastic.  I SO got the early MMJ thing but they definitely are not MMJ copycats.  Really melodic, rocking, cool tunes.  But country tinged for sure.  I loved them!  Go see them live.  Everything changes.  :thumbsup:

EverythingChanges

Quote from: zanjam on Oct 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
You are wrong.  And I completely understand.  I had never seen them and had given some of their stuff a listen on Spotify and couldn't really see what the big deal was.  I didn't get the "early MMJ" vibe from it at all.  I was a little bored with what I heard, and didn't think too much of them.  I then saw them open for White Denim in August and OMG they just blew me away!  Their energy, the songs, THE GUITARS...they were fantastic.  I SO got the early MMJ thing but they definitely are not MMJ copycats.  Really melodic, rocking, cool tunes.  But country tinged for sure.  I loved them!  Go see them live.  Everything changes.  :thumbsup:

Hmm... Sounds like I'll have to keep my eyes open for dates in my area.  I've been listening to Menomena as well, I'm really liking both bands.

robb

Somehow I had never listened to these guys until yesterday, and holy shit, what have I been missing out on?  This stuff is great.  They're playing Detroit next week with the Heartless Bastards but I'm pretty sure I work that night.  Poor timing to be sure.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

smhoffmann02

Quote from: robb on Oct 20, 2012, 01:59 PM
Somehow I had never listened to these guys until yesterday, and holy shit, what have I been missing out on?  This stuff is great.  They're playing Detroit next week with the Heartless Bastards but I'm pretty sure I work that night.  Poor timing to be sure.

You might have to be sick that night. If you know what's good for you. ;)
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

smhoffmann02

You are wrong.  And I completely understand.  I had never seen them and had given some of their stuff a listen on Spotify and couldn't really see what the big deal was.  I didn't get the "early MMJ" vibe from it at all.  I was a little bored with what I heard, and didn't think too much of them.  I then saw them open for White Denim in August and OMG they just blew me away!  Their energy, the songs, THE GUITARS...they were fantastic.  I SO got the early MMJ thing but they definitely are not MMJ copycats.  Really melodic, rocking, cool tunes.  But country tinged for sure.  I loved them!

Yep, agreed. They are good. Real good.
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

robb

Quote from: smhoffmann02 on Oct 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
Quote from: robb on Oct 20, 2012, 01:59 PM

You might have to be sick that night. If you know what's good for you. ;)

That would actually be really easy to pull off, but with the World Series in town next week, I'll need all the hours at work at extra money I can get...those tickets aren't cheap at all  :undecided:
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

zanjam

How did I post twice here?  What am I?  New?  I must have gone to edit and somehow quoted myself and posted it.  Spaz.

Ruckus

Oh man, I love their studio output as well.  I still listen to the EP and Hampton's quite regularly.  However I do get where zj is coming from.  They go three electrics a lot for the live rockin' effect at the expense of remaining true to the studio instrumentation.  That's what made the Seney Stovall recording so special for me when they stayed true to the albums and used plenty of acoustic guitar and banjo.  Maybe even a mandolin somewhere.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

IMHO they have not put out a bad song. definitely my favorite band of the past few years. All of their releases are in regular rotation in my house. I guess you could call me a 'birdwatcher' or a 'birder' (worst name for group of fans ever?)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

johnnYYac

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 22, 2012, 05:57 PM
IMHO they have not put out a bad song. definitely my favorite band of the past few years. All of their releases are in regular rotation in my house. I guess you could call me a 'birdwatcher' or a 'birder' (worst name for group of fans ever?)
Does that mean I'll see you in Boston on Friday?  Futurebirds opening for Heartless Bastards at Royale?  I'll be there, with Kyle and Zach.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Carter's a trip in this promo from a few years back
Futurebirds "Hampton's Lullaby" Promotional Video

wolof7

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 22, 2012, 06:58 PM
Does that mean I'll see you in Boston on Friday?  Futurebirds opening for Heartless Bastards at Royale?  I'll be there, with Kyle and Zach.

Wish I could but I have a wedding I can't get out of...I may object to the union based on the fact that they are making me miss this show.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mahg33ta

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 22, 2012, 06:58 PM

Wish I could but I have a wedding I can't get out of...I may object to the union based on the fact that they are making me miss this show.

bummer!   looking forward to it Yac!

BH

Egghead!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

Quote from: BH on Oct 23, 2012, 02:52 PM

Egghead!
remember the Birdos from American Super Mario 2?
I'm going with Birdos