2014 Forecastle Festival - July 18-20 - Louisville, KY

Started by johnnYYac, Jan 11, 2014, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I'm going to be optimistic and put this thread under MMJ Shows.  Line up announcement is sometime in March.  Anyone going or thinking about it?  Lodging?

http://forecastlefest.com/

http://forecastlefest.com/lodging/

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

CHIMMJFAN

I didn't get to go last year, so the plan is to make it this year. Hoping MMJ is headlining this year....wouldn't mind another performance under the overpass!!!!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

ericm

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 11, 2014, 03:28 PM
I'm going to be optimistic and put this thread under MMJ Shows.  Line up announcement is sometime in March.  Anyone going or thinking about it?  Lodging?

http://forecastlefest.com/

http://forecastlefest.com/lodging/

I'd definitely go if MMJ are doing a show. As for lodging, it's a suite at the Galt again for me.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Mr. White

I'll be going (hoping and praying My Morning Jacket will be a big part of it again this year). Even though I only live 54 miles from Waterfront Park and work in Louisville 5 days a week, I had never gone (or even paid any attention to the happenings at Forecastle) until Forecastle X in 2012 when MMJ curated the whole thing and were the main attraction for the biggest day (Saturday). I went to that special show and parked myself right in front of the sound booth (tent). I snuck in a red folding chair and didn't leave my spot but once the entire day (and one of the wonderful MMJ fans I had just met offered to watch my chair for me while I got water that one time). I loved my day there in front of the soundboard. I got to see Everest, Dr. Dog, The Preservation Hall Jazz Band (with a special appearance from Jim), Andrew Bird, and the mighty hometown band - My Morning Jacket! I took only one video of MMJ, and it was pretty good (I even caught the Chinese lantern floating up over the stage at the end of Rocket Man).

My Morning Jacket play Rocket Man at Forecastle 2012 - with Chinese lantern floating up at the end

I went the whole 3 days last year (thanks to the ticket hook-up from Yim Yodd - 2 festival tickets for all 3 days for the price of 1). I went to the 1st day by myself, I took my cousin's 18 year old son (who I had turned on to MMJ the year before when I drove him to Indianapolis to see Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden) the 2nd day, and I took my wife the 3rd day (mainly to see Robert Plant).

Here are the 2 videos I took during Jim's set from the rail - dead center! We spent 7 hours in that one spot with one bottle of water for me and one soft drink for my second-cousin.

Jim James - Wonderful - Forecastle 2013 - Louisville, Kentucky - 7/13/2013

Jim James - Forecastle 2013 - Let It Be (beginning only) - 7/13/2013

Here are the 2 videos I took of Robert Plant. In the second one, you can see the storm coming up that stopped his set early by 30 minutes.

Robert Plant - Goin' To California - Forecastle 2013 - Louisville, Kentucky - 7/14/2013

Robert Plant - What Is And What Should Never Be - Forecastle 2013 - Louisville

Here is a photo I took of the main entrance as we were leaving the park on the 3rd day.

I'm not that out-going of a person, but I have met a few very nice and very cool people at MMJ shows and at Jim James solo shows, and I'm sure I will connect with some of those same people and plenty of newer ones at Forecastle 2014 (as long as MMJ shows up, and I'm pretty hopeful they will).
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 11, 2014, 03:59 PM
I've mapped all the hotels with special rates for Forecastle here:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zI722qxUs0Hw.kCEYobEXt6c8
Going to see MMJ at Forecastle 2012 was one of the highlights of my life!  That is where I met some really groovy people LOL starting with Mama Kel and Sheri bury blast.
The show was special since the boys came out after the storm and played under the overpass.
I'm going to count on them being there this year, because - I can't go to Mexico for OBH since I'm going in the summer for my 25th wedding anniversary.  This really saddens me even though I am so happy for those that can go, but, I just can't read all of the fun stuff that will be going on.  :cry:
Waiting for March announcements...........................

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

oistheone

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 13, 2014, 03:58 PM
Looks like outkast will headline

Are you basing that off the "40-festivals" news that came out today, or do you have some of your famous hometown intel?

Either way, Outkast and MMJ would be the best fucking one-two punch ever. I figure with MMJ having a new album to promote, and the fact that Outkast will be seemingly everywhere, there's GOTTA be one festival where they cross paths. And that will be where I head this summer.

kintante5

Do you think they'll return that quickly to Forecastle?   Does anyone have a clue when we can expect tour dates to surface?

mahg33ta

Quote from: kintante5 on Jan 13, 2014, 05:05 PM
Do you think they'll return that quickly to Forecastle?   Does anyone have a clue when we can expect tour dates to surface?

It seems more and more that festival lineups are less unique and instead bands decide to do the "festival circuit".   I don't have any inside info whether MMJ will do that or not, but it seems like 2014 could be a year where they hit a bunch of em given a new album coming out.   I think Shaky Knees, Bonnaroo, Forecastle, and a bunch of West Coasts might be in the cards.

A lot of festivals announce this week, so I'll know soon if my theory is true or not.   

kintante5

The Mountain Jam release could be a good indicator on Wednesday

e_wind

I honestly doubt MMJ will return. After MMJ 2 years ago and Jim last year, I think the jacket will do their own hometown album promotion.

As far as the outkast thing, check forecastles Facebook.

Waddy Peytona

I would rather have an actual Jacket show in Louisville at this point. We're going on three years since the Circuital release show at the Palace. Three years! I know we had Forecastle 2012 and it was an epic festie set, but a festie set nevertheless.

Now, if they were to do both, that would be spectacular! But they don't seem so inclined.

mahg33ta

Quote from: kintante5 on Jan 13, 2014, 07:52 PM
The Mountain Jam release could be a good indicator on Wednesday

so this week we have:  mountain jam, firefly, New Orleans, Shaky Knees, Hangout, and Governers Ball-  many of which are today and tomorrow.

We should have a good sense within 24 hours whether MMJ is on the festival circuit.

e_wind

Also, I would think the people who run forecastle probably don't want it to become MMJ fest

kintante5

When are Hangout, Firefly, and Governors Ball set to announce?

joey_rogo

I'd poop my pants if they did Mountain Jam again, but they were just there a couple years ago, and a couple years before that so I'm not getting my hopes up.

mahg33ta

Quote from: kintante5 on Jan 14, 2014, 12:24 PM
When are Hangout, Firefly, and Governors Ball set to announce?

firefly is today (just came out)
hangout is tomorrow
GB is "this week"

kintante5

Eeek.  No Firefly or Jazzfest.  I'm growing worried.

layin low

I have no direct knowledge, but would be really surprised if MMJ was not at Shaky Knees this year. Hell, the festival is named after one of their songs! I know the organizer was trying like crazy to get them as a headliner.

I went last year, was a great time even in the pouring rain and despite the fact The Lumineers should never ever be headlining a festival again. Venue has changed a bit to more of a parking lot fairground, wonder how that will affect things.