It's been a great 3 or 4 years

Started by Nikkogino, Aug 07, 2005, 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

I just bought the C&I EP.  What is this track all about???

aMillionDreams

it's an answering machine message from Johnny Quaid (ex-MMJ guitar slinger) to Jim.  It's basically a collection of inside jokes, I'm not sure why Jim included it on the album though.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Nikkogino

why does he act like he isn't in the band??  Wasn't he still in it during that time?  Also, is he talking about his barn?

aMillionDreams

the barn is the Above teh Cadilac Studios where they did their recording before the latest album.  He is taking some time off from touring but he is still in the band at this point.  If you listen to it a couple times you'll start to realize what the hell he's talking about if you're interested.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tomEisenbraun

Actually, I don't know if I'm wrong, but it almost sounds like a voicemail to Jim from Jim. Like he left it for himself as a joke. Thus, the beginning jokery. I don't know, but it makes a little bit more (kind of) sense that way.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

QuoteActually, I don't know if I'm wrong, but it almost sounds like a voicemail to Jim from Jim. Like he left it for himself as a joke. Thus, the beginning jokery. I don't know, but it makes a little bit more (kind of) sense that way.
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure it was left from Johnny.  But they're cousins, so perhaps their vocal fold capacity is similar?

I always thought of it as a kind of marker of where things were at at the time.  Which is basically like any recording is, really.

Nap Dyn MoFo

this post pisses me off, if you are interested read up on the band first, plenty of info out there. Keep up, Google it. Gosh!!!

SMc55

Quotethis post pisses me off, if you are interested read up on the band first, plenty of info out there. Keep up, Google it. Gosh!!!

But we don't mind discussing questions like this. We like it. Maybe Nikkogino has googled it and wants another perspective.

EC

(ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.  I googled Nap Dyn because I thought it might be a really cool Welsh or Gaelic phrase.

But noooo.  It's Napoleon Dynamite.  That's hilarious.)

Jellyfish

Quotethis post pisses me off, if you are interested read up on the band first, plenty of info out there. Keep up, Google it. Gosh!!!

Funny,I thought this was a great place to read up on the band...that's what I get for thinking. ???
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Nikkogino

Quote from: Nap Dyn MoFo on Aug 10, 2005, 11:25 PMthis post pisses me off, if you are interested read up on the band first, plenty of info out there. Keep up, Google it. Gosh!!!
Hahaha this is a great post to stumble on 16 years later.  Young Nikkogino trying to discover the band and getting blasted for asking on here what this track was about, instead of googling.  Flash forward to today and I am listening to C&I, and think to myself "I forgot what this song was about.  I should Google it."  I Google "my morning jacket it's been a great 3 or 4 years" and what do I find but this here post is the first result.  At the time I was a mere annoyance to @nap dyn mofo, but history has redeemed my efforts, as I have provided a key resource for the future's children to learn about the jacket. 

LilyD

I feel if you take everything down to the core,it's the same in a beautiful [url="//way.it"]way.It[/url]'s all the same.JJ

sillyboob

Quote from: Nap Dyn MoFo on Aug 10, 2005, 11:25 PMthis post pisses me off, if you are interested read up on the band first, plenty of info out there. Keep up, Google it. Gosh!!!

This is literally a forum for My Morning Jacket fans.  This is the perfect place to discuss an obscure track by the band.

What's your danged beef?  Sheesh!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

walterfredo

Quote from: sillyboob on Sep 30, 2021, 10:01 AM

This is literally a forum for My Morning Jacket fans.  This is the perfect place to discuss an obscure track by the band.

you realize this post is 16 years old!  :grin:

(but you are still correct)

Nikkogino

Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 30, 2021, 12:36 PM

Yeah but it's been a great 3 or 4 (x 4) years.

sillyboob

Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 30, 2021, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I saw that, but it still irked me.  This is the spot to be asking those questions!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lonndown27

people are just rude to be rude...glad he's only a guest haha
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018