2014 - Favorite Albums (so far)

Started by e_wind, Feb 03, 2014, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 24, 2014, 12:58 PM
Quote from: Ob1jacobe on Feb 24, 2014, 12:14 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Feb 24, 2014, 10:31 AM
The new Real Estate probably tops everything so far!  :thumbsup:

I can't wait for this and the new War On Drugs.  Debating if I need to channel my inner captain hook and start looking for these. 

I have pre-ordered both on vinyl and there is also something nice about the first listen / vinyl experience with bands you love.  I have held off on listening to new Beck until this week for this reason.

Ditto here, including holding off to hear the new Beck and St. Vincent. Enough of this self-deprivation!

Glad you guys dig the collaborative Spotify playlist...now add stuff!  :thumbsup:

Started to add to spotify, was a great idea.  I made new spotify friends (mom would be so proud of me).  :grin:

Angelo

I second Benji. It took a few listens to sink in but I really dig it. I could also see why some wouldn't. It's not something you're really going to bump in your car or play at a cookout. It's definitely a chill record that rewards attention.

EverythingChanges

I upgraded to the premium service last night.  I love the download and play offline feature.  It makes iTunes completely irrelevant to me, which is great because my library has been acting up recently.  It also allows me to forget about MP3 downloads and backups.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

MMPJ6306

The new Real Estate is a little smooter than I expected, but I've been digging it.

The Men get no talk on here and I think it's a crime- their newest record (out next week) is a perfect entry point too. A little Neil/Crazy Horse, a little Bruce, but still pretty punk.

It's streaming, of all places, on NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/arts/music/pressplay.html?_r=4&
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

e_wind

Benji is sounding pretty good, so far. I'm into it
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Murph

Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Feb 27, 2014, 11:52 AM
The new Real Estate is a little smooter than I expected, but I've been digging it.

The Men get no talk on here and I think it's a crime- their newest record (out next week) is a perfect entry point too. A little Neil/Crazy Horse, a little Bruce, but still pretty punk.

It's streaming, of all places, on NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/arts/music/pressplay.html?_r=4&

I love The Men, New Moon was one of my favorites of last year.  They've taken a step forward with each record. Thanks for the link, I've been looking forward to this one

johnnYYac

So far, this year, four standout albums.

Beck - Morning Phase
Wax Fang - The Astronaut
McLovins - Beautiful Lights
Band of Horses - Acoustic at the Ryman
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

I guess I have to check out BOH acoustic. I don't have much interest in the band, but everyone's raving about it

Ob1jacobe

E_wind, I think BOH album really is a for the fans.  New take on songs we love.  That's not to say it can't be enjoyed by none fans but just want to set expectations.

Angel Olsen - Burn your Fire for & Sun Kil Moon - benji are both killing it for me.  So good sooo brooding and sad.  <3 it.

Ob1jacobe

My first complete top 10 list of '14

1. Beck - Mourning Phase
  2. Damien Jurado - Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son
  3. Real Estate - Atlas
  4. St. Vincent - S/T
  5. Phantogram - Voices
  6. The Men - Tomorrows Hits
  7. Angle Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness
  8. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
  9. Temples - Sun Structures
  10. Hospitality -Trouble

* I suspect War On Drugs will make it next week
** I only include Studio LPs so BOH - Acoustic at Ryman does not make the cut.

Come Closer

Here's 15 albums, need to listen more to rank them.

Damien Jurado
Real Estate
Water Liars
New Madrid
Quilt
Kalle Mattson
Natural Child
Wax Fang
Doug Tuttle
Morgan Delt
Sam Roberts Band
Doug Paisley
Pontiak
Temples
She, Sir

Northern Neighbour

The closer on Angel Olsen's album, "Windows", is remarkable. Just a fantastic song.

I was somewhat disappointed with Phantogram's album.  It's all right, but not as strong as their previous efforts.

Sun Kil Moon's latest is good, but a tough one to listen to.  You have to be in the right frame of mind.

Morgan Delt's album is really good. I like Temples' debut a lot. It's not anything new, but it's 45 minutes of sheer chaos (in a good way).

I'm really looking forward to listening to The Men this week.

Northern Neighbour

I was surprised by the southern rock feel to The Men's new album.  Brass, organ, harmonica. I know the band has dabbled in this genre before, but this was pleasantly unexpected.

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Mar 05, 2014, 10:23 AM
I was surprised by the southern rock feel to The Men's new album.  Brass, organ, harmonica. I know the band has dabbled in this genre before, but this was pleasantly unexpected.

Yeah, i think they hinted at it on "New Moon" but this one has southern rock or even Bruce Springsteen E-Street band sound to it.  I love it but would like to know what other fans think.  I can see some backlash from old school fans who prefer their Men loud and fast.

e_wind

Beck
Real Estate
Broken Bells
Drive By Truckers
Wax Fang

e_wind

I'm really, really diggin English Oceans and Atlas in the past couple days.

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on Mar 05, 2014, 04:51 PM

Yeah, i think they hinted at it on "New Moon" but this one has southern rock or even Bruce Springsteen E-Street band sound to it.  I love it but would like to know what other fans think.  I can see some backlash from old school fans who prefer their Men loud and fast.

I was expecting another post-punk, rock album, so I was caught off-guard. I like the album. It's fun and something I would expect MMJ to produce. However, it's not among their best efforts (I think New Moon is superb), but I'm glad to see them stretching themselves.

Murph

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Mar 07, 2014, 02:03 PM
Quote from: Ob1jacobe on Mar 05, 2014, 04:51 PM

I was expecting another post-punk, rock album, so I was caught off-guard. I like the album. It's fun and something I would expect MMJ to produce. However, it's not among their best efforts (I think New Moon is superb), but I'm glad to see them stretching themselves.

I'm basically in the same boat. Although I prefer my Men albums to be loud and fast, Tomorrows Hits is definitely a good listen and a nice addition to their catalog. All these tracks were recorded the same time as New Moon, which really shows the range these guys are capable of I think. Plus I really dig the horns and harmonica on this one

e_wind

I checked out The Men, and it seems right up my alley. Thanks dudes.

This Real Estate album may just be my favorite thing so far of the year. It's either this or Beck.

APR

I haven't heard too much, but Real Estate is #1 so far.