MONSTERS OF FOLK!!

Started by Shakeykneez, Jun 10, 2009, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buymycar

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 12, 2012, 10:12 AM

• Temezcul

Jim's backing vocals on this track...holy smokes.

jaye

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 12, 2012, 09:56 AM

I'm so late to the game and only heard the MOF album a month ago, but I listen daily as I'm completely OBSESSED with the darned thing! 

:cheesy:

How fun - I remember being a month into it - it was all I listened to for awhile.  I sure wish they would tour again - it was fantastic.   

My top 3 - Say Please, Temazcal, Losin yo head, Masters Voice.    I know that is 4.   :tongue:

GO4IT

I pretty much love all of the MOF songs on this album although it took a while to warm up to some.

His Mater's Voice is just out of this world emotional, however.
It has brought me to tears on several occasions.
One was when Jim busted this out as his first song (you may recall that it was the closer on the MOF tour as it is on the album) at the Newport Folk Festival in 2010.  You could hear a pin drop.  I posted a video of it on youtube although the quality is not that great.

This is one of the best top to bottom albums in my collection.

Penny Lane

This album has definitely stood the test of time as one of the best. On any given day, I can't say whose songs I like best, it switches. Hope there's a second at some point.

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

goldbondking

My buddy and I just went down to his basement the other night and listened to the vinyl. Just amazing still three years later. We both love the lyrics to The Right Place (especially the piano keys line followed by piano keys). Temezcal just still gives me chills everytime (both versions).

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: goldbondking on Nov 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
My buddy and I just went down to his basement the other night and listened to the vinyl. Just amazing still three years later. We both love the lyrics to The Right Place (especially the piano keys line followed by piano keys). Temezcal just still gives me chills everytime (both versions).

Agreed, the lyrics to The Right Place are amazing! :thumbsup: Love this version:

Both Temezcals are great, but I kinda prefer the JJ version of Sandman, Breakman and Me over the album version... (but I love you too M. Ward!)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

buymycar

"Oberst even spent six months writing a script for a sci-fi musical starring the Monsters of Folk, his project with M. Ward and James, 'about how the Internet is destroying humanity,' but the project stalled. Oberst jokes that he prepared for the role anyway. 'I was supposed to be older, so I aged,' he deadpans. 'I gained weight. I go the extra mile, like Christian Bale.'"

-Patrick Doyle, "The Uneasy New Life of Conor Oberst", Rolling Stone Magazine, June 5, 2014.

davymac

I knocked the dust off this record the other day and gave it a listen and man I'd forgotten home much I enjoy this album.  Curious if anyone has heard any rumors or rumblings about a reunion tour or second album?  Probably wishful thinking but I'd love more MoF content/shows!

ranyart

We love the MOF album and really enjoyed the show we saw in Louisville, but I've always thought it was a one and done deal mostly because how the hell do you top what they've already done?

walterfredo

I saw the Oakland fox show. So good! I'd be happy if they just reissue the album on vinyl again. It's impossible to find for a reasonable price

Come Closer

I also thought it was one and done, but more so because it was meh like the overwhelming majority of supergroup projects. If there was good enough energy I think they would've come back for more.