Main Menu

Jack White

Started by oistheone, Apr 01, 2014, 11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

Hahah I'll be right next to you man! Watch out for the guy with an afro rockin' crazily. Can't wait!

robb

Great to hear man!  I live about 3 blocks from the Fox too, so if you need any help getting around the city or any recommendations for anything just let me know.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

oistheone

Right on! I'll be in town for three days -- hopefully hitting up the Tigers game on the Tuesday between shows. I'm sure I'll be seein' plenty of ya!

I'm a bit curious as to how this assigned seating pit will work. Every other show on the tour has a GA pit. And when Jack played Detroit in 2012, at the Scottish Rite Theatre (now, weirdly, the Jack White Theatre), there were assigned seats, but the second Jack took the stage, it was bedlam. Kinda hope that scene is avoided now that we've got great seats!  :grin:

robb

You were at the Scottish Rite show too?  Man, that night was a blast, especially seeing Bob Seeger up in the boxes.

And I think I have damn near the same exact ticket for Beck at the Fox a month earlier, so I'll be sure to update on how things are handled.

EDIT:  Did some exploring and holy shit these seats are gonna be great.  Seat 314 is in the dead center of the stage just four rows back.  AND I realized that week is gonna be the best fuckin' week of all time, I totally didn't realize I was seeing Nick Cave on the night in between the two Jack White shows.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

johnnYYac

Track listing for Lazaretto released:

1. Three Women
2. Lazaretto
3. Temporary Ground
4. Would You Fight For My Love?
5. High Ball Stepper
6. Just One Drink
7. Alone In My Home
8. Entitlement
9. That Black Bat Licorice
10. I Think I Found The Culprit
11. Want And Able
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

oistheone

Here's an awesome video documenting the production of the "World's Fastest Record":

Jack White's World's Fastest Record RSD Recap

dmooney99

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 21, 2014, 03:58 PM
Here's an awesome video documenting the production of the "World's Fastest Record":

Jack White's World's Fastest Record RSD Recap

pretty cool.

EverythingChanges

I like the new Lazeretto single, but I feel like the second half of the song tries to be too many things.  The first half of the song is pretty sweet though.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Jaimoe

I like all of that Lazaretto single. It's certainly not predictable, boring, nor does it conform to sound commercial; plus, it has a kick ass Jack guitar solo! First "High Ball Stepper" and now this great lead single. I can't wait for the album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYF0LtfUvJs

capt. scotty

Between High Ball Stepper and the Lazaretto single, im all in...JW knows whats up, oooh wee, and his stuff is blowing my mind
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

pattilovesmmj

Can't wait to see him in Chicago.  I saw him with Dead Weather and it was absolutely one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life. :drum:

oistheone

There is a download available to Vault members -- "Power of Love", the official Lazaretto b-side -- and GOD ALMIGHTY this song is everything "I'm Shakin'" should have been. Pure balls-to-the-wall blues. Can't stop listening.

ffghtrs

Loving every second of that tune!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

oistheone

This album is FANTASTIC! When Jack White releases a new album, my expectations are always WAY too high. In fact, I don't think there's an artist I expect more from. Yet Jack somehow finds a way to consistently exceed my expectations, not by giving me exactly what I want and more, but by taking me to completely unexpected places. "High Ball Stepper" is symbolic of the album as a whole actually -- even when Jack does a simple riff-rocker, he's adding enough of the "spook" to make it completely his own. The sign of a true artist!

"Three Women" is a perfect opener, leaving plenty of room for some impressive showboating, both musically -- with a stellar cast of musicians getting a chance to shine through awesome fills -- and lyrically, with Jack embracing his love for all the women who "blow his blues away". "Lazaretto" is furiously funky, the catchiest riff he's released as a solo artist. "Would You Fight For My Love" is brooding and moody (broody, if you will), twisting and turning until the song builds to a classic Jack White piano-pounding climax. Also, this might be the most sample-ready song Jack White has ever recorded. If I'm RZA, I'm finding a way to chop up that intro and get that **** on the new Wu-Tang Clan album.

"Just One Drink" didn't wow me when it was released on its own, but in the context of the album, it's the perfect mid-album happy hoedown tune and one of many infectious tracks on this album that never seems to leave my head. Maybe that's why I like this album so much. It just works so well together. "Alone In My Home" may be the bounciest pop track Jack has ever recorded, and it's followed by the lyrically twisting country waltz of "Entitlement" and then the muffy-grunge-funk of "Black Bat Licorice". What other artists can put out an album with three so stylistically diverse tracks in a row?

Jack White gives you what you want, even if you don't know you want it. Can't wait to see these songs live. They're gonna rip.

Ob1jacobe

Is it better than Blunderbuss?  looking forward to it

johnnYYac

Got an email last night that my funky, tricky vinyl has shipped, so I'll wait to hear for myself.  Sounds like I won't be disappointed.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Santo

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 05, 2014, 11:40 AM
Got an email last night that my funky, tricky vinyl has shipped, so I'll wait to hear for myself.  Sounds like I won't be disappointed.

Here is a video showing some of the "Ultra LP's" funky tricks...

http://youtu.be/i-8B-_Jq2ro

EverythingChanges

Birds of a feather may lay together
But the uglier one is always under the gun

Birds of a feather may lay together
But the uglier one is always under the gun

Awesome.

I think Lazaretto, That Black Bat Licorice, and I Think I Found The Culprit are my favorites so far.  Fantastic album!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Ob1jacobe

My local record store has my copy waiting for me.  Are they all the ticked out copy or do you have to order the "ultra" LP?