MMJ Gear - What do they use?

Started by petemoss, Jul 07, 2008, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleCastro

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 23, 2013, 11:31 AM
It's a little out of date, but I think CC posted an article which included a labelled photo of Patrick's drum kit.  I have it at home and will post it tonight if no one beats me to it.

I have this somewhere! hehehe

http://andrewnusca.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/DRUM_PatrickHallahan_0808.pdf

P 110 - 111. Seems pretty accurate, he still uses the same CC drum kit and Istanbul cymbals.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

gardenparty

Quote from: AsAboveSoBelow on Jan 23, 2013, 02:47 AM
Jim no longer uses the Mesas. He switched to 3 Monkeys Amps' Orangutang on top of that awesome vertical 2x12.

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php?action=post;topic=4324.0;last_msg=321851

yeah, that's right.  I'd imagine he has changed a decent amount since that photo was taken

johnnYYac

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Jan 23, 2013, 11:32 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 23, 2013, 11:31 AM
It's a little out of date, but I think CC posted an article which included a labelled photo of Patrick's drum kit.  I have it at home and will post it tonight if no one beats me to it.

I have this somewhere! hehehe

http://andrewnusca.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/DRUM_PatrickHallahan_0808.pdf

P 110 - 111. Seems pretty accurate, he still uses the same CC drum kit and Istanbul cymbals.
That's the one; great article.  Here's the image from the article.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rdraudio

Anybody know what make/model small acoustic guitar Jim is playing on the Storytellers show?
Sunburst, slotted headstock.....

TOOGANS

Lonndown27

Jim definitely used a MXR Phase 90 through to OKONOKOS, you can hear it on I Will Sing You Songs and a few others.

both guys use Eventide Harmonizers, Mr. Echos', ZVex Clon Centaur, Carl uses both Ibanez Analog Delay and Boss Digital Delay and a Boss Digital Reverb. Jim doesn't use the Phase 90 to my knowledge anymore, he has some multi-effect modulation pedal that I cant remember the name of right now.

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Rex

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 02, 2015, 11:03 PM
Jim definitely used a MXR Phase 90 through to OKONOKOS, you can hear it on I Will Sing You Songs and a few others.

both guys use Eventide Harmonizers, Mr. Echos', ZVex Clon Centaur, Carl uses both Ibanez Analog Delay and Boss Digital Delay and a Boss Digital Reverb. Jim doesn't use the Phase 90 to my knowledge anymore, he has some multi-effect modulation pedal that I cant remember the name of right now.

No Eventides, Zvex or Mr Echo for Jim currently, the one you are looking for is a Strymon Blue Sky.

Lonndown27

Really? I guess im getting Carl's pedalboard mixed up with Jim's, i could swear he was using Mr. Echos still, at least Carl is.

a Strymon Blue Sky? I'm gonna have to look up a demo of that
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Rex

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 04, 2015, 03:48 PM
Really? I guess im getting Carl's pedalboard mixed up with Jim's, i could swear he was using Mr. Echos still, at least Carl is.

a Strymon Blue Sky? I'm gonna have to look up a demo of that
Strymon makes a lot of great stuff. Jim's verbs have been Spring Chicken and Ghost Echo for a while now, plus the amp tanks of course. Carl does still have a Mr Echo and a couple harmonizers. Carl's rig evolves pretty quickly, Jim's tends to stay the same for long periods.

Lonndown27

I know for sure Carl uses two Eventides on his board, one for modulation and one for octave-craziness like that big gargantuan tone on Tropics near the solo. He also has an Eventide on the pedal steel to get the string like sounds, his words from an interview Loaded Questions In An Automatic World.

I'd love to see the guys use MXR Carbon Copys, although I have no problem with their tone right now, obviously and consider it the best dual or single guitar tone in any band since the greats (and even better than some of the greats: Jimmy Page's live guitar tone after 1973 was AWFUL compared to the tones these guys can achieve)

I know Carl uses a Boss Digital Delay (dont get why), a Boss Digital Reverb (why the digital?). These guys love their boutique pedals seriously, I barely notice anything outside of a few Boss pedals that are MXR or Dunlop or Electro-Harmonix even, none of the main companies, thats probably a good reason for their very unique tones

Rex

Carl has ditched the Boss delay, although Jim has a DD-5 and Carl still has the digital reverb. In and of itself nothing to write home about, but sometimes it's the easiest way to recreate a sound from a record done 10 years ago. The DD5 is basically only for between song noise transitions.
The great thing is that we are smack in the middle of a heyday for boutique pedals and amps, and the options are pretty limitless.  Barely a week goes by that the guys don't find something new in a shop or someone brings out stuff to demo. Jim's rig is actually getting a pretty serious overhaul tomorrow;)

ruralt

I was wondering if either of them were using any Strymon stuff.  I could never get into the Blue Sky, though. Everyone raves about their shimmer but it doesn't do it for me. I wouldn't turn down a Big Sky though, or an El Capistan, or a Flint, or a Mobius, or a---

ruralt

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 04, 2015, 04:30 PM
I know for sure Carl uses two Eventides on his board, one for modulation and one for octave-craziness like that big gargantuan tone on Tropics near the solo. He also has an Eventide on the pedal steel to get the string like sounds, his words from an interview Loaded Questions In An Automatic World.

I'd love to see the guys use MXR Carbon Copys, although I have no problem with their tone right now, obviously and consider it the best dual or single guitar tone in any band since the greats (and even better than some of the greats: Jimmy Page's live guitar tone after 1973 was AWFUL compared to the tones these guys can achieve)

I know Carl uses a Boss Digital Delay (dont get why), a Boss Digital Reverb (why the digital?). These guys love their boutique pedals seriously, I barely notice anything outside of a few Boss pedals that are MXR or Dunlop or Electro-Harmonix even, none of the main companies, thats probably a good reason for their very unique tones

I think I read a couple of months back that Carl is using the Eventide H9 now, which makes sense because it'd cover more ground while taking up less space on the board of a guy who is clearly gear crazy. It might've been that interview you mentioned. It stinks that you have to buy more than one if you want to chain effects, though, and can't just chain them in the software. Considering how much they cost you'd think that'd be standard, but they have to get money out of you somehow.

Lonndown27

Lets keep this thread Going as they get new gear and as they update their boards cause their tones ARE celestial :) Rex what's he overhauling his board with bro??

Lonndown27

Gotta love the delay pedal transitions

Lonndown27

gear i spotted last night:

Bo had a TON of pedals! so many but ones I remember 100% are EHX POG and EHX Holy Grail Reverb Nano and it seemed like a Boss Digital Delay and a pink Ibanez Analog like Carl's, he had a LOT more though, Bo was surrounded in gear!

Tom had a POG but i couldnt make out anything else he had 4 or 5 in all?

beardedwonder

So many shots of gear on the RR stream. Close ups. Overhead. Great perspective. So many pedals!! Carl is a killer. I shall call him Cortez.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Rex

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 05, 2015, 09:58 PM
Lets keep this thread Going as they get new gear and as they update their boards cause their tones ARE celestial :) Rex what's he overhauling his board with bro??

Not the board, but everything else. New switching/routing systems for acoustics and electrics, some changes to the buffering scheme and a whole lot of signal chain simplification and impedance optimization. Basically a whole lot of under the hood improvement.

Lonndown27

Quote from: Rex on Aug 16, 2015, 02:30 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 05, 2015, 09:58 PM

Not the board, but everything else. New switching/routing systems for acoustics and electrics, some changes to the buffering scheme and a whole lot of signal chain simplification and impedance optimization. Basically a whole lot of under the hood improvement.

thats pretty sick!!! How do you know this, not that i'm questioning your sources, just wondering how  :shocked:

There were about a billion pedals onstage at Red Rocks 2015 hahah. Carl had a station of godness with pedals, Bo had SOOOOO many more than I expected! also I saw a volume pedal and a wah wah pedal hooked underneath one of his keyboard station sides.  I WISH I HAD GRABBED A PEN AND PAPER DURING THE STREAM!!! There were so many opportunities to get a really really definitive list! Some of the boutique stuff is really hard to identify for me, as I'm more of an MXR / EHX guy  but  some of this stuff is interesting to me. The Hot Hand effects as well as the Soundbox audio stuff..some of it looks too digital for me , but I wanna at least try them out to see  :cheesy:

Lonndown27

what really really REALLY gets me going is mixing a sweet digital delay with my MXR Carbon Copy and setting the Carbon Copy's mix a little high, it will almost swell around the digital signal and create this HUGE sound, same way with taking any quality amp modeler, setting it to a Hi-Watt or full stack setting, and then turning on my Big Muff Russian Fuzz and you get this uber thick crunch that's beyond satisfactory.

I can hear Carl doing stuff like this, mixing the digital-ish octave sounds with one of his analog fuzzes and you get this really shaky intense boom. Jim's pedalboard has seemed to go into digital land, but I hear the same thing going on. I could be totally wrong, its just a sound and Im chasing it  :cool: