Howell Dawdy/Lydia Burrell

Started by Mr. White, Jul 11, 2015, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Thought I'd start a thread on Howell Dawdy (a.k.a. Lydia Burrell - real name is Alex Smith - and that sounds like an alias, but it's not). There is another thread on Lydia Burrell (started by sarabananabear), but I thought Howell Dawdy deserved his own. (It appears to me that the two are merging into one.) I finally met Alex last night after he played an opening set as part of the Sunset Concert Series at Foxhollow Farm near Louisville, Kentucky (Crestwood in Oldham County - about 15 miles northeast of Louisville). He's very cool and approachable.

Howell Dawdy plays songs that are more of a joke than for real or serious. He uses pre-recorded songs/beats and sings along with them. I do love comedy, and his stuff sure is funny and very smart. He does mostly spoken word stuff with some actual singing and instrument playing thrown in for good measure. A funny example of his "instrument playing" came in the form of his remake of The Charlie Daniels Band's "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". In Howell's version, the duel was between trumpet players instead of violin players. He picks up a trumpet and proceeds to screw up all the song's solos royally (interrupting at one point to say he doesn't actually know how to play the trumpet). I'll post a couple of photos and my videos later tonight, but I thought I'd start with his newest summer release (on YouTube) called "Summer Creams".

(I sure wish we could view the videos right here within the thread. The old way, videos appeared in a little window or box where we could see what the song title was and what the icon for it looked like. Hopefully it will return to normal soon...)
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

Howell Dowdy performing at Foxhollow Farm for their Sunset Concert Series on 7/10/2015

Fire Extinguisher

Mr. White

"Beautiful Love" - Official Video

"Beautiful Love" - My video from the Foxhollow Farm show - 7/10/2015

"Feelin' Fine" - Official Video

"Feelin' Fine" - My video from the Foxhollow Farm show - 7/10/2015

Mr. White

"Simple" by Howell Dawdy - My video from July 24, 2015 at The New Vintage in Louisville, Kentucky

"Simple" - Official Video (featuring Joan Shelley)

Mr. White

I got to attend a special Howell Dawdy show at STRIVEFEST 2015 at La La Land in Louisville, Ky. the other day (Saturday, August 1, 2015). Howell Dawdy was the third of three acts (followed by a DJ Dance Party). His set lasted roughly 45 minutes. Here are the songs, "I'm Too Hot" and "Fire Extinguisher" that I recorded.

My video

Here's "Fire Extinguisher" - Official Video

Come Closer

Mr. White

I was part of a very small audience in the intimate setting of WFPK's Live Lunch studios yesterday afternoon (special 5:30 Live Lunch time) for a live recording of Howell Dawdy that should be aired on Friday, October 16, 2015. Here is the last song he played (has been being the last song/encore for a while now). This is a really good version of "Simple".

SaraBananaBear

Thanks for all these live versions, love it! :thumbsup:  :cheesy:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Mr. White

During this special split bill with Lydia Burrell and Howell Dawdy, Lydia Burrell performed the song, "You Should Wait" featuring Lacey Guthrie of Twin Limb. This show took place at Zanzabar on Preston Street in Louisville, Kentucky on Friday, October 23, 2015.

Mr. White

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jan 20, 2016, 06:08 AM
Thanks for all these live versions, love it! :thumbsup:  :cheesy:

No problem, Sara!
I have a few more that I'll post shortly.

Mr. White

Lydia Burrell performed the song, Tuxedo, solo during his set at Zanzabar on Preston Street in Louisville, Kentucky on Friday, October 23, 2015.

Mr. White

Lydia Burrell performed the song, "Outside", at the grand re-opening of the Speed Art Museum in Louisville, Kentucky on Saturday, March 12, 2016.

Mr. White

Lydia Burrell performed the song, "You Should Wait", at the grand re-opening of the Speed Art Museum in Louisville, Kentucky on Saturday, March 12, 2016.

Mr. White

"Louisville" is Howell Dawdy's 19th high definition music video. In this one, Howell travels all over his favorite town, which happens to be where he lives. What a thrill.

Please follow Howell on twitter at @HowellDawdy & his ex-girlfriend/manager @LydiaBurrell

Credits:
music written performed mixed produced and mastered by Howell Dawdy

Video directed and edited by Drew Osborn and Howell Dawdy

Assistant Director: Brandon Jones

Special Thanks to Doug Jefferson and Chris Brown

Thanks also to Colin Garcia, Tony Lombardi, Kimmet & Doug, Chris Vititoe, Melody Dennison, The Nach Bar, American Turners Club, and the guy who yelled at us and made us get off the train tracks.

And enormous thanks to the City of Angels, Louisville KY.