The Black Crowes Appreciation Thread

Started by Shug, Nov 17, 2012, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geekfreak

one of the coolest freakin` `n` rock `n` roll bands, I`ve been lucky and seen them loads of times with some great sets too...
welcome to the cosmos of peace, love and ????

Shug

Hallelujah!  I had a feeling this was coming!  The Crowes are getting back together (because this is The Black Crowes without the brother who turned into a douchebag, IMO, regardless of what they choose to call it) with their best guitar player and their best keyboard player.  Steve Gorman will be joining eventually, I predict!  I am beyond freaking stoked to think of seeing Rich, Marc Ford, Eddie Harsch and Sven laying it down on some Crowes classics, covers, and solo original stuff, all together.  Who needs CR, he's the drama queen negativity creator fake hippie poseur, good riddance.  Let the positive ones get on the with great music.  Sorry if my opinion offends, but its what I really think is the truth.

Rich Robinson—singer-songwriter-guitarist and co-founding member of The Black Crowes—has announced the formation of THE MAGPIE SALUTE. It's an exciting new band that brings together four key members of The Black Crowes—Rich, guitarist/vocalist, guitarist Marc Ford, keyboardist Eddie Harsch, and bassist Sven Pipien—with members of Rich's own band: drummer Joe Magistro, keyboardist Matt Slocum, and backing vocalists Adrien Reju and Katrine Ottosen, along with some other friends.

THE MAGPIE SALUTE will be unveiled January 19 when they headline the Gramercy Theatre in New York, performing songs from The Black Crowes catalog, solo material from Rich and Marc plus "whatever else may materialize," says Rich. Pre-sale tickets will be available October 19, followed by the general on-sale October 21: See link below and watch the video trailer here.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00005150D3CD36D9

"The name The Magpie Salute comes from a superstition based in the UK," explains Rich about the band's moniker. "There are many variations, but the version I'm drawn to is the belief that if you see a Magpie, you would do well to salute it "to ward off negativity, or to have a good day." The way you salute the Magpie, based on some traditions is to say 'Good Mornin' Captain.' The reason we salute is to show we're unarmed, or what I like to say is 'we come in peace.' The Magpie falls within the Crowe umbrella of species, figuratively and literally. Magpies can be black and white which represents the light and the dark. I figured all of these things touch on many aspects of my life and this experience."

Asked about THE MAGPIE SALUTE's multiple players and singers, Rich says, "I wanted to try something different. I wanted to hear this music with two drummers, two keyboard players, and multiple singers. I, and everyone involved, love playing music. Not only on our own, in The Crowes and in my band, but playing music in general. We want to make music again together with a fresh perspective. To present this music I wrote in a different light with these amazing players is going to be really special to me."

Will the Gramercy Theatre show have the songs and improvisational flights that The Black Crowes were famous for? "Absolutely, that's what we do when we get together," says Marc. "Now the vocal position will obviously be different... it opens other places to go with different singers. The bottom line for me is that we love playing together; we have a respect for what we've done together and for all of the people that want to hear it."

THE MAGPIE SALUTE marks the reunion of the Robinson and Ford guitar team. (Ford left The Black Crowes after their fourth album and 1997 Further Festival tour.) "The Crowes have had their share of guitar players," says Rich. "Each one has been really cool to play with and each one has brought their own unique playing to the band. That being said, I personally feel that Marc and I have a very deep musical connection. The way he and I played together on those records really showcases that musical bond. As I get older I realize what a gift it is to play with people with whom you share that language of music." Reflecting about their deep musical connection, Marc says: "It's one of those things that was there before we met. Musically we were already family."

The seeds were planted for THE MAGPIE SALUTE in August 2016 when Rich performed in Woodstock (New York) at Applehead Studio where he's recorded his last three albums. "Sven Pipien has been playing with me on my current tour. So for fun I decided to invite Marc and Eddie from the original Crowes lineup to join us. It turned out to be such a cool, cathartic, and inspirational experience for us all. We all have such a strong musical connection from that band. Most importantly we all have a life's worth of family experience together. We've travelled the world together, seen a lot of far out experiences, playing with our heroes, emotional ups and downs, all wrapped within a very unique life experience, which is the thread that has always kept the connection together." Marc says about the show at Applehead Studios: "The playing was an amazing second to seeing their faces."

THE MAGPIE SALUTE chose NYC for their first show because, says Rich, "New York has always been really supportive of me and the Crowes. I thought it would be a great place to unveil this."
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

LBSUNFLWR

Such great news! Can't wait to see them all again...just hope a tour will follow bc there's no way I'm making it to NYC for this.

wheelhousetunes

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 18, 2016, 08:37 AM
Such great news! Can't wait to see them all again...just hope a tour will follow bc there's no way I'm making it to NYC for this.

My feelings exactly. And yes Shug, Chris has lost his mind and I've pretty much given up on CRB.

Shug

Quote from: wheelhousetunes on Oct 18, 2016, 10:25 AM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 18, 2016, 08:37 AM

My feelings exactly. And yes Shug, Chris has lost his mind and I've pretty much given up on CRB.

Glad I'm not the only one!  I'm positive this is not just a one-off show, there are lot of hints in the press release and they would not go to all this trouble to name a new band and all that if they weren't going to make it a tour at least. 

I'd love to see this first show, like those who got to see the initial 2005 reunion shows at the Hammerstein in NYC, but I have to wait for the tour, too.  It gives Steve a chance to decide to join (just like it took him a few weeks of them playing without him in 2005 to decide to join).

I love the idea of Rich and Marc sharing lead vocals with the soulful backup singers to sweeten the whole sound just like with Jerry Garcia Band or Dylan's bands in the 80s.  There is something satisfying about the contrast and blend of raspy lead vocals and sweet backup vocals that I love.

But for me having Eddie Harsch back on keys is a huge huge deal.  I can't decide who I missed more, Marc Ford or Eddie, when they left the band in 2006.

Bring it on!

wheelhousetunes

I think Steve still has his sports radio thing going, doesn't he?

It may be a longshot for him to join.

LBSUNFLWR

I was very lucky to have been at that 2005 first night reunion show at Hammerstein, and also a few nights later for the Good Friday show of that run. :) You can't imagine the anticipation leading up to it and the excitement when they walked on to that stage!

LBSUNFLWR

p.s. now it's 3 nights and all 3 are SOLD OUT!!
that should be an indication to them that there is a need for more shows!!!

wheelhousetunes

Shug

Yep, demand is high.  After the pitiful turnouts for the two shows I saw on the Rich Robinson tour last month (100 people at a 300 seat venue on a Saturday night in Austin, TX, a town huge on live music) and how bummed he and Sven were, its gotta be gratifying and a clear indicator of what people want for these shows to sell out so fast.

They will tour and I still think Steve will join.  Rich said he wants to have two guitars, two keys, and two drummers.  The only thing missing in that equation is Steve.  I'm sure he's been invited.  He may be reluctant to join for a variety of reasons, but once it gets flying, he will come around, I predict!

Can't wait for a full tour, they probably won't announce that until after these shows are done, I'm guessing.

beckstp1

I got tickets for the Friday night show, can't wait!
Very excited that they're doing this and believe the music will be stellar.  I will miss Chris' pipes at times on some songs, but can totally see why they left that arrogant dude behind.

did he really want 100% of earnings if they reunited?  is that rumor true?   what a dink.

LBSUNFLWR

I saw Rich solo last year in KY and the turnout was pretty weak as well.
But it was in an old church turned music venue, with stained glass and all, and it was a very cool show!

wheelhousetunes

It's a shame that Rich's solo shows were so poorly attended. During the Crowes' first hiatus I was more excited to see what Chris would do, but now I'll take Rich's output every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Haven't even purchased the last two CRB albums.

Shug

The two Rich shows we saw last month in Austin and San Antonio had fantastic music.  The vibe was not great due to the low turnout, but they played so masterfully.  No repeats in two nights.  2 hour + shows, two sets each night.  I got to hear all his incredible ballads and mid tempo songs.  He has put out some mediocre tunes on the past two studio albums, IMO, but every album he's done has had one or two or three mindblowingly great tracks that I'd put along side the best stuff by The Band, Dylan, anybody, really.

The Giving Key, For To Give, In You, Time To Leave are all so brilliant and so up my soulful roots rock songwriting alley.  And in the middle of that they bust out a 10 minute instrumental homage to the Allman Brothers with Laila II, jamming their asses off in a deep and jazzy groove.  Its not everyone's cup of tea, but I think Rich is a genius mastercraftsman.  It was so great to have Sven back in his band.

Magpie Salute is going to take all that to another level with Marc Ford and Eddie Harsch.  I cannot wait and so wish I was going to NYC for the debut.

Shug

RIP Eddie Harsch.  Just when they were getting back together with him.  Fucking a, the years since 2006 when they kicked him out of the Crowes, what a waste of brilliant talent and a goddamn tragedy.

LBSUNFLWR

Fuck! I just read this terrible news...was so looking forward to seeing him again. At GA shows I used to try to stand on his side to watch him. What a cool MF. RIP, this is very sad news.

Perfect song Shug. ^^

LBSUNFLWR

Last night I listened to Steve Gorman's Fox Sports show where he dedicated the show to Ed and told great stories about him.

listen here: http://www.jambase.com/article/steve-gorman-govt-mule-jason-isbell-others-honor-eddie-harsch

LBSUNFLWR

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/chris-robinson-on-reviving-black-crowes-songs-new-band-w515202

Chris doing a little mini tour to play Black Crowes songs again.
Has Audley Freed and Marcus King on board for guitar!
Just a mini tour and I'm pretty excited they're coming within driving distance for me.

APR

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jan 09, 2018, 05:45 PM
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/chris-robinson-on-reviving-black-crowes-songs-new-band-w515202

Just a mini tour and I'm pretty excited they're coming within driving distance for me.

When I read about this yesterday, I thought of you and am not surprised you're up on the news and going.  Enjoy!!

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: APR on Jan 10, 2018, 01:37 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jan 09, 2018, 05:45 PM

When I read about this yesterday, I thought of you and am not surprised you're up on the news and going.  Enjoy!!

ha! thanks.
I just got tickets to the show in Lexington on the presale. It's an hour and a half away on a week night, but I have to be there!! With less than 20 shows I am grateful one is close to me.

Presale code is ATCF2018 if anyone else is looking to go to any shows. Presale started about 45 minutes ago.