Main Menu

The War on Drugs

Started by Murph, Dec 04, 2013, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillyboob

Definitely.  These guys are so good.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

MikeR1390

These singles just keep getting better. So stoked for this album release.

Shug

Quote from: APR on Aug 09, 2017, 05:09 PM
Solid read about an awesome band:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/arts/music/war-on-drugs-a-deeper-understanding-interview.html?ribbon-ad-idx=6&rref=arts/music&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Music&pgtype=article

I dig the part about Adam saying he wants to have an operational set up like Wilco: homebase in a city that is not LA or New York, have total control over their art and business, solid fanbase built through regular touring and never really stop working on their music, either touring or recording or writing.

He pointed to a band like Wilco, the experimental indie stalwarts from Chicago, as a model for the War on Drugs' future: "self-sustaining, self-governing, great fan base, tight connection to their roots — that's what we're trying to build over here," Mr. Granduciel said.

"I just need to work," he added. "There's no other thing with me."
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

APR

Every single song they have released early has been top notch.  I'm really looking forward to the entire album.

Shug

I have not read this essay because I'm waiting to get the album and listen to it without another listener's impressions in my mind.  I also have not listened to any of the singles, I prefer to get the album and listen to the entire thing for the first time. but others have said this essay goes deep, I thought people might like to know about it.

http://www.stereogum.com/1958113/premature-evaluation-the-war-on-drugs-a-deeper-understanding/franchises/premature-evaluation/

I'm really stoked for this album and REALLY stoked for the two shows we are set to see in Seattle and Portland in October and hopefully more shows on subsequent legs of what I hope is as long a tour as there was for Lost In The Dream!

parkervb

Interview with Adam that includes this line from the writer that has me even more excited for Friday:

"It almost seems bold to put out a record in 2017 with this many guitar solos."

Yes, please.

http://uproxx.com/music/war-on-drugs-adam-granduciel-interview-a-deeper-understanding/
Don't you ever turn it off

sillyboob

Giving the new album a listen right now, it's streaming for 24 hours on their website.  I'm really enjoying it.

http://thewarondrugs.net/firstlisten/
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

Quote from: sillyboob on Aug 23, 2017, 04:58 PM
Giving the new album a listen right now, it's streaming for 24 hours on their website.  I'm really enjoying it.

http://thewarondrugs.net/firstlisten/

Me too!  They keep getting better and better.

That sounds like a cool article Shug, but I'll wait until I hear the album a few times before reading (delaying for the same reasons you stated above).  Seeing them twice is the way to go.  I'm not sure my once in DC is enough.

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Shug

Not many new albums get the full-on listening release event treatment in our house, but a new War On Drugs album does and this one paid off beautifully!  We got in the right frame of mind with some drink and smoke and some pre-main event music before putting on and cranking up A Deeper Understanding to listen to all the songs for the first time in one shot (I avoided listening to any of the singles they dribbled out in the past few weeks) and by the second song I was up and rocking the air-guitar with a few fist pumps thrown in!  Up All Night will be a killer show opener and Pain was an immediate standout. That is a frickin' SOLID two-song album opener! Also digging on Thinking Of A Place and Clean Living after one listen.

The arrangements sound tighter and more composition-oriented to me than Lost In The Dream but there is also more aggressive guitar jamming, too.  This shit is gonna soar live! The superb, detailed, mood and vibe-focused recording craft is now joined by a new level of ensemble performance craft that is clearly the result of extensive touring for the previous album.  Granduciel's artistic intensions are clearly on display again and to me he operates on an entirely higher level of musical brilliance than most artists currently recording and touring these days.  I was doubtful that they could pull off a second brilliant album in a row, but after one listen it sounds like they've either come really close or maybe even pulled off another record as good as Lost In The Dream!  Now I'm even more stoked for the up coming tour!

oistheone

Cannot get enough of this album right now. Those solos in "Strangest Thing" are fucking magic. And the harmonica in "Thinking of a Place" kills me every time.

The tones Adam got on this record could cut through a bank vault. Soooo fucking searing. Can't wait to witness these tracks live in the fall!

DaydreamNation

This is such a killer record, loving it more every time I listen
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

parkervb

Quote from: oistheone on Aug 26, 2017, 02:21 PM
Cannot get enough of this album right now. Those solos in "Strangest Thing" are fucking magic. And the harmonica in "Thinking of a Place" kills me every time.

The tones Adam got on this record could cut through a bank vault. Soooo fucking searing. Can't wait to witness these tracks live in the fall!

my first couple of listens (been through about 6 so far now), I wasn't sure how this stacked up with LIAD...but man, I am not prepared to say I like it better than LIAD, but it's right there.

Agree with Shug on the fantastic 1-2 punch of a start and Strangest Thing might be the best track (IMO) and the closest thing this album has to An Ocean In Between the Waves. Thinking of a Place is close to Under The Pressure in scope and sound.

It might be a cop out of sorts to keep referencing songs on this album to ones from LIAD, but I honestly have no other frame of reference for these songs.  I've only streamed the album but plan on picking up the LP this week.

Makes me so happy to know that these types of albums still exist.

Shug

iLikeBeer

Gave this album a listen on Saturday night with some friends sitting around the fire pit in our back yard.  We too got in the right frame of mind with smoke and drink but I still haven't given it the proper listen as it was more socializing than listening with our friends, but I plan on getting into it tonight!  From what I did hear on Saturday, I was totally impressed.  Trying to follow up such a great fucking record as LITD was would be very daunting for most artists, but it looks as though these guys may done just that. 

I can't wait to see these guys live again!!!

Murph

Here's a great live session with the band playing some of the new songs (Adam says this was the first time they played the songs live), includes a little interview in the beginning and the same Zevon cover...

http://www.wfuv.org/content/war-drugs-2017

parkervb

Quote from: Murph on Aug 28, 2017, 04:59 PM
Here's a great live session with the band playing some of the new songs (Adam says this was the first time they played the songs live), includes a little interview in the beginning and the same Zevon cover...

http://www.wfuv.org/content/war-drugs-2017

excellent. I am sure they will do KEXP when they are in the PNW

Murph

I don't think Adam will ever be known as a great songwriter.  The lyrics definitely leave something to be desired, but man these songs are still endlessly beautiful.  Another amazing output from this band.