Main Menu

The War on Drugs

Started by Murph, Dec 04, 2013, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

oistheone

I don't know man, some of the lines on this album are fucking stellar.

Am I just living in the space between
The beauty and the pain?

Beautiful!

Shug

Yeah, O, good lyrics for sure, that will surely connect with lots of people. 

"I resist what I cannot change"

We watched that KEXP show last night and it seems like the band is getting tighter, if that is even possible from how tight they already were.  LD was saying its like Adam is relaxing a bit and on a subtle level it is allowing the rest of the band to contribute more and gel as an ensemble even more.  A little bit less like Adam fronting and the band backing, but everyone all together, at least in the jams and the sympathetic accompaniment.   I think they are getting close to doing a thing that Wilco has done for years in their past lineup, just getting more and more telepathic.  Adam did say in one of those interviews that he is not feeling the need to fill up every moment with sound, he's now realizing that leaving some space lets the music breathe.  I think we are hearing that in these live performances.  They are freaking on it and the tour hadn't even really started when these shows were filmed.

I think these upcoming shows are going to be fan-fucking-tastic!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

parkervb

LBSUNFLWR

APR

I'm listening to a 10+ minute of Under The Pressure as I type.  So good!  Thanks for the link Parker.  While this is my favorite song of theirs, after many listens to Deeper Understanding, I find it so good that my favorite song off that one keeps changing. 

Jbpats

considering going to see these guys tomorrow. Wasn't crazy about their last album, loved Lost in the Dream though.
How are they live? Do the tunes deviate from the studio versions much or are they pretty much the same? A buddy really wants me to go but I have a ton of shows coming up

parkervb

Quote from: Jbpats on Sep 22, 2017, 09:56 AM
considering going to see these guys tomorrow. Wasn't crazy about their last album, loved Lost in the Dream though.
How are they live? Do the tunes deviate from the studio versions much or are they pretty much the same? A buddy really wants me to go but I have a ton of shows coming up

the link i posted a few posts above is from a show on this tour. There's also these videos from a show this tour:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC08pz9LCHOKJx15Fi6x9-7Q/videos

funny you feel that way about this album and the last...I almost feel they are connected, almost companion albums.

LBSUNFLWR

I think any question you have could be answered by watching the video posted above! I saw them in 2014 and 2015 and really liked both shows. I'd very much like to see them now if they were coming close to me...

LBSUNFLWR

Ha, posted at the same time...

Jbpats

Quote from: parkervb on Sep 22, 2017, 12:05 PM

the link i posted a few posts above is from a show on this tour. There's also these videos from a show this tour:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC08pz9LCHOKJx15Fi6x9-7Q/videos

funny you feel that way about this album and the last...I almost feel they are connected, almost companion albums.

I think that's why i didnt like it. Just too similar to the last, kind of felt like it was bsides that couldn't make the last album.
anyway i'll probably give it a shot tomorrow

LBSUNFLWR

wooo!! The Brown Theatre, December 20th!
Just got 2 tickets front row of balcony.

anyone in Louisville looking to go: there's a presale going right now. Code: OCEAN

it's a beautiful and magical place! :)

APR

Nice LBSUN!! Front row balcony looks like a perfect spot.  It's going to sound goooooood from there on 12/20.  That theater looks great.  I have a similar seat for their DC show.  Louisville has some geat spots.... I was a the Palace once and that place was also beautiful and magical.

Mr. White

I got tickets to this show yesterday too. I got an e-mail from WFPK/WFPL that provided me with a pre-sale code "UNDERSTANDING". I got front row on the right side as you face the stage. I've only seen them once - Forecastle 2015, right before MMJ took the stage.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: APR on Sep 27, 2017, 12:44 PM
Nice LBSUN!! Front row balcony looks like a perfect spot.  It's going to sound goooooood from there on 12/20.  That theater looks great.  I have a similar seat for their DC show.  Louisville has some geat spots.... I was a the Palace once and that place was also beautiful and magical.

We really do have some great venues here. The Palace is incredibly cool and bigger than the Brown and I go there more often. I've only been to The Brown 3-4 times but I just love it there. Was thrilled to see this show announced.

Mr. White, front row downstairs? or balcony?
I'm on the right side as you face the stage.

Mr. White

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Sep 27, 2017, 12:54 PM
Quote from: APR on Sep 27, 2017, 12:44 PM

We really do have some great venues here. The Palace is incredibly cool and bigger than the Brown and I go there more often. I've only been to The Brown 3-4 times but I just love it there. Was thrilled to see this show announced.

Mr. White, front row downstairs? or balcony?
I'm on the right side as you face the stage.

Front row down on the floor right in front of the stage - I got seats on the isle between the larger center section on the right.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LBSUNFLWR

:cool: Awesome. was thinking we'd be next to each other if you were upstairs.
No bad seats in The Brown. We will be right by each other for the JJ Clifton Center show!

parkervb

i am just hoping they continue the tour next spring and hit some other mid-Atlantic venues. Last time I saw them was in this venue in BFE North Carolina called the Haw River Ballroom. It was really cool but legit driving through rural country to get there.

The performance of You Don't Have to Go here is top notch stuff

https://www.jambase.com/article/pro-shot-videos-war-drugs-share-footage-bok-philadelphia

Shug

Quote from: parkervb on Sep 27, 2017, 03:49 PM

The performance of You Don't Have to Go here is top notch stuff

https://www.jambase.com/article/pro-shot-videos-war-drugs-share-footage-bok-philadelphia

Indeed, both of those rehearsal videos are fucking amazing performances, so subtly brilliantly Dylanesque vocals and lyrics but with fantastic melodies and all the sincerity and passion of early U2.  WOD are definitely peaking and I can't wait for the two shows we are seeing in Seattle and Portland in a little more than a week!

Thanks, parkervb for pointing them out.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Jackets N Pones

Strangest Thing on repeat  :headphones:
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire