J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJTX

Quote from: millerjustin on Jun 28, 2017, 10:51 AM
sorry to be so vague - this isn't a NYE reference, but that would be cool too (I'm thinking those supporting acts will have to be Dawes+ sized to help fill 6,500 seats 3 nights in a row - Gary Clark also a good bet).

The delayed OBH4 announcement is most likely a function of a later date for the event (hint) and my reference to J Roddy was along those lines

Ahhh!! i see, makes sense.

Do you think NYE is still happening, i can understand if OBH is in March then it hasnt been announced yet, but when will NYE be announced?
Anytime

millerjustin

Quote from: MMJTX on Jun 28, 2017, 04:54 PM
Quote from: millerjustin on Jun 28, 2017, 10:51 AM
sorry to be so vague - this isn't a NYE reference, but that would be cool too (I'm thinking those supporting acts will have to be Dawes+ sized to help fill 6,500 seats 3 nights in a row - Gary Clark also a good bet).

The delayed OBH4 announcement is most likely a function of a later date for the event (hint) and my reference to J Roddy was along those lines

Ahhh!! i see, makes sense.

Do you think NYE is still happening, i can understand if OBH is in March then it hasnt been announced yet, but when will NYE be announced?

NYE is happening for sure - we just need to be patient....recall that Port Chester run was September ticketing, so they may wait until August to roll it out (and undercard bands are still firming up winter schedules, so lots of moving parts)
What's in here won't disappear

Cameron

it kept skipping for me so i'll wait until the vinyl arrives friday.

peafunk31

Have listened to 3 songs. Definitely a bit different than previous albums. They sound quite polished as opposed to their typical raw sounding albums. Overall i've been digging them.

Any Philly peeps hitting up the 10/19 noon show at Ardmore Music Hall? Should be a different experience as from what I'm told it's all acoustic. Plus drinks at noon is never a terrible idea  :beer:
Homer no function beer well without.

MMJTX

gave it a listen on the drive to work this morning, i feel like if i had never heard J Roddy before i would really dig this album, but this just feels a lot more poppy than their other stuff. i still like it but ya it's just different. i guess i don't know how i feel about it yet haha
Anytime

johnnYYac

J. Roddy Walston and The Business at Codfish Hollow Barnstormers in Maquoketa, Iowa was a great night. Openers The 4onthefloor and Sleepwalkers were excellent, with J. Roddy joining Sleepwalkers for a song, then jumping off stage to rock out for a couple more on the rail with us regular folk. The night was a nonstop, rockin' party.

Problem with that was, by the time J. Roddy & TB took to the stage, everyone on and off stage was pretty wasted, so they were not their best. J. Rod's vocals were low in the mix, which is just dumb. It was a very loud night, and I felt forced to use my concert earplugs to avoid permanent damage. As always, Billy's guitar playing was phenomenal. Talked with J. Rod and Steve Columus and asked that they tell MMJ at OBH in DR next March to come to Codfish Hollow. Also, as always, great hanging out with Forum member, and fellow Iowan, Hawkeye (Dan).
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

GO4IT

I love the new album and have had the vinyl on heavy rotation the last few weeks.

As mentioned above, it is definitely more polished than prior efforts but, to me, still retains deep roots from their past, and I've had the good fortune of seeing them for a long time as they came up in the Baltimore circuit.  There's not a weak song on the album and, even though each is unique, they flow well together.  I also love Billy's guitar playing - gets better every time I see or hear him.

We're going to catch the last of their 3-night residency in Richmond, their new home, on Nov. 26.  Anyone else going?

GO4IT

Well, I see there's been a lot of activity on this thread since I last posted :undecided:

Ms GO4IT and I did indeed attend the last night of the J Roddy residency as planned last night and it was worth the trip and then some.  I think they tried to do no repeats over the 3 nights and they were asking for requests near the end for songs they may have missed.  They played a couple of their songs for the encore and then the Sleepwalkers came up for about 5 Tom Petty covers which were great fun.  Here are 3 videos I took...

Don't Break The Needle, a classic of course: 

You Know Me Better off their new album:

Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty Cover) with the Sleepwalkers:

MMJTX

saw them a few weeks ago in Dallas for a short little set at a craft beer/music fest, they were great, really excited to see them at OBH going to be a very fun show!
Anytime

Cameron

Wife and I love them so can't wait for OBH. I hope Austin get's a show soon too.

MMJ_fanatic

I LOOOOVE me some Heavy Bells!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

johnnYYac

I'll be heading to Chicago to see JRWaTB at Metro. Maybe I'll see some Forumites there?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

d_wil

https://www.facebook.com/jroddywalston/videos/10155787047895787/

Was anybody in the crowd with me during their set at Beale Street Music Fest? Heavy Bells in the hail! Epic!!

Cameron

their show here in austin was the best i've seen them.  so much energy and sounded great.

MMJTX

Just saw a post on Facebook that they are breaking up? posted an announcement that they're doing a "thanksgiving show" but that it will be their last show for the foreseeable future?
Anytime

Cameron

it's a bummer but not surprising since he's been pushing his new band so much the last 6 months.

http://palmpalm.club/

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

GO4IT

Ms GO4IT and I attended the final sold-out show last night at The National in Richmond.  We didn't realize this was their last show until we heard the rumors upon arrival.  Very glad we decided to go but sad to see them dissolve after following them so long since the Ottobar days in Baltimore.  It was a very good show but there was some melancholy and occasional rough spots relative to some of their best shows.  Billy Gordon was stellar on lead guitar as always.  Here's their last song of the night....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO50f88t7Rg7C3_Qj3iwHfg?view_as=subscriber

Cameron

Glad you got to be there. My wife is super bummed. They're her favorite band.