Main Menu

Tom Petty

Started by rkwedge, Oct 02, 2017, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSUNFLWR

I like everything you said except I heard Miley Cyrus on Howard Stern and thought I was going to barf.  :grin: didn't hear the one with her dad but I can't imagine I'd like that either...Wildflowers is my favorite song.

oh, and I didn't read the political thread...

Petty55

Love to see all the folks in this thread that loved Tom. As you can see from my name he had a massive impact on my life as a Florida boy. If y'all see any more covers around the web keep em coming please.

Here's a few of my favorites, some more known than others, for those of you who may not have known a lot of Tom's work and would like some tunes.

The Wild One, Forever. Hurt. Magnolia. Deliver Me. Between Two Worlds. Fooled Again (I Don't Like It). The Best of Everything. Grew Up Fast.

There's plenty more, but I think those are some that the more casual fan may not know and would enjoy.

Thank god (or whoever) music never dies

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: Petty55 on Oct 12, 2017, 04:22 AM
Love to see all the folks in this thread that loved Tom. As you can see from my name he had a massive impact on my life as a Florida boy. If y'all see any more covers around the web keep em coming please.

Here's a few of my favorites, some more known than others, for those of you who may not have known a lot of Tom's work and would like some tunes.

The Wild One, Forever. Hurt. Magnolia. Deliver Me. Between Two Worlds. Fooled Again (I Don't Like It). The Best of Everything. Grew Up Fast.

There's plenty more, but I think those are some that the more casual fan may not know and would enjoy.

Thank god (or whoever) music never dies

So far Jason Isbell has done a TP cover to start the encore each night of his 6 show run at The Ryman. videos are on jambase. will try to post them here when I have some time this afternoon.

parkervb

a YT playlist of these great Petty covers would be cool.
Don't you ever turn it off

LBSUNFLWR

oh 2 Isbell covers are on the previous page, I did post them.

LBSUNFLWR

oistheone

Reading through this thread gives me great joy. Some of y'all saw some amazing Petty shows. Still can't believe it's over. So glad I made that 500-mile drive (alone) last summer to see Mudcrutch. To see the HBs again on this 40th Anniversary tour was the true rock n roll cherry on top.

I still am left wondering where the Heartbreakers go from here. They are way too damn good of a band to not keep playing together. But how do you go on without your leader? Can only imagine the pain they're going through.

Long live Petty.

LBSUNFLWR

:thumbsup:

after hearing so many of the great covers others have done I was thinking the Heartbreakers could definitely do a reunion tour in a year or 2 if they wanted with any number of people stepping in to do the singing.

Eddie Vedder would be truly great! I thought Wilco's cover was among the best I heard, imagine Tweedy & The Heartbreakers for a tour. Or better yet, a revolving list of singers coming in for a few songs a night.

rkwedge

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaM4bEVFz6w/
Nice words from Benmont Tench. He had solo show already scheduled and is going on with it. This is what he said.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Shug

The Heartbreakers are indeed one of the greatest rock 'n' roll bands of all time.  I've seen them 15 times since 1987, but the peak without a doubt was the 20 night run at the Fillmore in 1997 when they played about half covers paying lots of tribute to their influences and having a blast doing it. 

They were freight train powerful at those shows, coming out blasting the Flying Vs or the Gibson Explorers and rocking the hell out on their own fast tunes and then all the great covers of their musical heroes.  I realized while they mowed me down by blasting through these tunes and made it look effortless that they had become as good as the Rolling Stones ever had been whether it was the early Chicago blues and Chuck Berry years of the early 60s or the prime Mick Taylor years '69-'72.  The Heartbreakers took the mantle from the Stones and became the torchbearers for authentic rock 'n' roll, the greatest rock 'n' roll band on the planet in the 90s.

If you haven't heard it, give this show a spin, the last night of the run.

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

APR

Quote from: rkwedge on Oct 13, 2017, 04:30 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaM4bEVFz6w/
Nice words from Benmont Tench. He had solo show already scheduled and is going on with it. This is what he said.

That was nice to read.  Thanks for posting. 

APR

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 13, 2017, 09:01 AM
:thumbsup:

after hearing so many of the great covers others have done I was thinking the Heartbreakers could definitely do a reunion tour in a year or 2 if they wanted with any number of people stepping in to do the singing.

Eddie Vedder would be truly great! I thought Wilco's cover was among the best I heard, imagine Tweedy & The Heartbreakers for a tour. Or better yet, a revolving list of singers coming in for a few songs a night.

Check this for a preview of that dream tour you mention.....Eddie and the Heartbreakers.  It won't happen, but it's nice to dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=padBMW652No

APR

rkwedge

Quote from: APR on Oct 23, 2017, 02:08 PM
Bob Dylan covering Petty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFUrBPu4EaA&feature=youtu.be
Nice, Thanks for posting. Bob Dylan really respected Tom Petty as they were basically two of a kind.

Petty55

Ryan Adams covering Even The Losers

Petty55

Stapleton doing Free Falling. Just warms my heart hearing all these guys talk about how much Tom meant to them. Miss him

Shug

No Reason To Cry

I can't figure out why some mainstream Nashville dude or even someone more artist-like like Alison Krauss or Emmylou Harris have not yet recorded this underheard Petty gem.  I can just hear it, could have been a huge hit for someone.  What a songwriter.

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

rkwedge

^ Agreed, it can still happen.

rkwedge