Main Menu

Deadthread

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 29, 2011, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Quote from: APR on Jul 19, 2016, 08:23 PM
Quote from: beardedwonder on Jul 17, 2016, 11:08 PM
Fenway Night 1 Set 2. Etched in my mind forever. Possibly the greatest set of live music I have seen in person. Dead&Co are the best live act out right now IMHO.

That's awesome.

Listening to night one as I type and this shit really sucks?!?!   :cool:   :beer:

beardedwonder

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jul 22, 2016, 08:59 PM

Listening to night one as I type and this shit really sucks?!?!   :cool:   :beer:
[/quote]

Lol. More tickets and room to dance for me.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

LBSUNFLWR

On this Anniversary I am starting the day by playing this:

R.I.P. Jerry

LBSUNFLWR

Tonight in theaters!! So much fun going to these, I haven't missed one yet.
Truly the closest thing to being at a show.

https://www.jambase.com/article/preview-cornell-77-mini-doc-ahead-grateful-dead-movie-screening

beardedwonder

Couple things:

I picked up the RSD release Grateful Dead, 7/29-30/66. A very good recording for early days. With some solid lesser spun tunes and a few classics. Very good quality and packaging. Def worthy of the price tag.

I also got the Acid Test by Ken Kesey on vinyl for RSD. It's bad, bizarre and cool all in one. A collectors item for sure.

Another album I scored in the last 6 months is Circles Around the Sun by Neal Cassal. This was the music spun during the Fare Thee Well show intermissions. Its a great album. The band is also playing a late night show after DeadCo Night 1 in Boulder this year.

Last one, they are releasing the classic show Cornell 5/8/77. Possibly sold out already but..

"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

parkervb

Quote from: beardedwonder on Apr 25, 2017, 09:29 AM
Couple things:

I picked up the RSD release Grateful Dead, 7/29-30/66. A very good recording for early days. With some solid lesser spun tunes and a few classics. Very good quality and packaging. Def worthy of the price tag.

I also got the Acid Test by Ken Kesey on vinyl for RSD. It's bad, bizarre and cool all in one. A collectors item for sure.

Another album I scored in the last 6 months is Circles Around the Sun by Neal Cassal. This was the music spun during the Fare Thee Well show intermissions. Its a great album. The band is also playing a late night show after DeadCo Night 1 in Boulder this year.

Last one, they are releasing the classic show Cornell 5/8/77. Possibly sold out already but..

I skipped this Dead RSD release since I did get a pre-order of Cornell '77. Can't wait to spin it (I think it's released next month)
Don't you ever turn it off

searchinbig

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 25, 2017, 09:36 AM
Quote from: beardedwonder on Apr 25, 2017, 09:29 AM
Couple things:

I skipped this Dead RSD release since I did get a pre-order of Cornell '77. Can't wait to spin it (I think it's released next month)

I ordered the Cornell vinyl also. Wonder what the 10th side etching is going to be??

Can't wait to listen to this!! Yes May 5 release.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

LBSUNFLWR

I love the Circles Around the Sun stuff. great background music at work.

LBSUNFLWR

May 1977 - Get Shown The Light

Just started the 2nd show of 4: Boston 05-07-1977 40 Years ago today.
This boxset of 4 incredible shows sounds so perfect.

This is a must have!

parkervb

my Cornell vinyl should ship today but spent most of the weekend streaming it and even that sounds fantastic.

Shug

Holy shit 7-12-89 RFK at the movies last night was on fire!!!!!!

I had no idea it was a contender for best show of the year.  I thought it blew away all of the Alpine Valley shows from later in the week that they showed a few years ago at the movies and on the Downhill From Here DVD.

Bruce Hornsby KILLING it and throwing down the gauntlet to Jerry to match him, Jerry and Brent totally locked into one another all smiles for so much of the show and Jerry dancing like it was 1978 in that hot hot hot Women Are Smarter!!!

Great first set with an epic Promised Land, too!  The Rolling Stones are the number one Chuck Berry cover band, IMO, but the Grateful Dead are right there at number two, plus Jerry takes three verses of soloing at full speed, while Keef and Mick Taylor keep it short most of the time.

You say you don't like Dear Mr. Fantasy?  Watch this version and see if it don't change your mind, Jerry was ripping it up!

so much props to Brent for his great vocals, especially back up with Weir on Cassidy and with Jerry on Black Peter and Dear Mr. Fantasy.

That was a KILLER show!!!

They are releasing an audio only box set of those two nights at RFK over on Dead.net

http://www.dead.net/store/1980s/rfk-stadium-1989-box?intcmp=home/bigbanner1
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

cshum372

Quote from: Shug on Aug 02, 2017, 01:20 PM

I had no idea it was a contender for best show of the year.  I thought it blew away all of the Alpine Valley shows from later in the week that they showed a few years ago at the movies and on the Downhill From Here DVD.

Bruce Hornsby KILLING it and throwing down the gauntlet to Jerry to match him, Jerry and Brent totally locked into one another all smiles for so much of the show and Jerry dancing like it was 1978 in that hot hot hot Women Are Smarter!!!

Great first set with an epic Promised Land, too!  The Rolling Stones are the number one Chuck Berry cover band, IMO, but the Grateful Dead are right there at number two, plus Jerry takes three verses of soloing at full speed, while Keef and Mick Taylor keep it short most of the time.

You say you don't like Dear Mr. Fantasy?  Watch this version and see if it don't change your mind, Jerry was ripping it up!

so much props to Brent for his great vocals, especially back up with Weir on Cassidy and with Jerry on Black Peter and Dear Mr. Fantasy.

They are releasing an audio only box set of those two nights at RFK over on Dead.net

My favorite era of Dead is the Brent era- especially post Jerry's coma- this is a wonderful show! can't wait until they release the boxset!

ericm

Nice review Shug.  :thumbsup:

We were at these shows and your take on them is pretty spot on to how I felt after these shows. Wonderful memories from those nights. Hell, that summer and era as well for me.

Thanks for the audio box heads up.   I definitely want to have this.   :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Shug

Wish I had done more East Coast and Midwest shows in those days.  I lived in the Bay Area and could catch 12- 16 shows a year without leaving my city, and I was a student with little money so those are the shows I saw.  They sure did rip it up on tour, more so than at home, I'd say.

Glad you got to experience it firsthand, eric!  Looked like a real good time!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

ericm

Quote from: Shug on Aug 02, 2017, 03:56 PM
Wish I had done more East Coast and Midwest shows in those days.  I lived in the Bay Area and could catch 12- 16 shows a year without leaving my city, and I was a student with little money so those are the shows I saw.  They sure did rip it up on tour, more so than at home, I'd say.

Glad you got to experience it firsthand, eric!  Looked like a real good time!

Haha, I know the feeling. I was a fairly new dad at that point so we didn't get to any shows farther away than driving distance during those years. Fortunately for us, we were in driving distance anywhere from DC to Boston, and the boys hit the NE/Mid Atlantic pretty hard in those days.  :thumbsup:

I always wanted to see them in California and especially the SF Bay Area but never did, unfortunately. I can't really complain though, I was lucky to see some great shows at some classic venues on this coast,and will always be Grateful for that!  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

LBSUNFLWR

https://www.jambase.com/article/axs-tv-offers-television-premiere-dear-jerry-celebrating-music-jerry-garcia

AXS TV Offers Television Premiere Of 'Dear Jerry: Celebrating The Music Of Jerry Garcia'

In May of 2015 an impressive array of musicians including some of his Grateful Dead band mates came together at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland to honor the late Jerry Garcia. Dear Jerry: Celebrating The Music Of Jerry Garcia featured the likes of Bob Weir, Bill Kreutzmann, Mickey Hart, moe., the Disco Biscuits, Widespread Panic and more. AXS TV will air a concert film documenting the event.
The television premiere of Dear Jerry is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET this Saturday night, August 19. Dear Jerry ends a day of programming honoring the 50th anniversary of the Summer Of Love. A 90-minute concert film recorded at Red Rocks documenting last summer's Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration featuring Warren Haynes airs ahead of Dear Jerry at 7:30 p.m. ET.

parkervb

so, I'm a few years into my mid-life Dead phase and still amazes me how much there is to find out about this band and its many phases/incarnations. I usually use the Relisten website to stream shows and they have this feature called "Today" that pulls all the shows played on that date in their database. Last week I was listening to 10/17/78 Winterland and heard a song I had never heard and it was "If I Had the World To Give", a Robert Hunter song off Terrapin Station. I really loved it immediately and went to look it up and apparently it was only played 3x ever, all in 78.

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1978/10/17/if-i-had-the-world-to-give

Do any more knowledgeable fans have any insight why such a beautiful song only got played 3x?

iLikeBeer

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 23, 2017, 01:49 PM
so, I'm a few years into my mid-life Dead phase and still amazes me how much there is to find out about this band and its many phases/incarnations. I usually use the Relisten website to stream shows and they have this feature called "Today" that pulls all the shows played on that date in their database. Last week I was listening to 10/17/78 Winterland and heard a song I had never heard and it was "If I Had the World To Give", a Robert Hunter song off Terrapin Station. I really loved it immediately and went to look it up and apparently it was only played 3x ever, all in 78.

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1978/10/17/if-i-had-the-world-to-give

Do any more knowledgeable fans have any insight why such a beautiful song only got played 3x?
I love that feature on the Relisten app!  I used to try to find a show from the current date on Archive but that feature really saves some time!!!   :beer:

walterfredo

Indeed a beautiful tune and I've never understood why they shelved it after only a few live plays. It was in the running for our wedding entrance tune.

ericm

I came home Friday night to find this audio box in my mail box!  :smiley: Perfect timing as it got me through a looong day of work Saturday. I was gonna save one of the nights for the next work day but holy shit night 1 just killed it and I had to immediately follow up with night 2.

Interesting tidbit from these shows as we were treated to a rarity of having Jerry, Bobby, Phil and Brent all sing lead on a tune at the same show. I remember thinking that during the show but forgot about it til giving it a listen.

Excellent job on these recordings and I'd recommend any fan to pick it up if you can. Some really great stuff as you've mentioned Shug and there's quite a few goodies on the 2nd night as well.
"Where's Jim going?"