1st Bank Center New Years Eve 12/31/2017

Started by dcfire, Dec 31, 2017, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

louisvilledanahys

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jan 01, 2018, 01:28 PM
Who posts on a forum to complain about a set...during the set?!

I'm glad they were posting.

dontgetupset

Eric once again seems to be the sole voice of reason here.

I flew in just for New Years as I was unable to attend the first two shows. As a result my long post will be somewhat informed by my not having been there for the whole 3 day experience. Nonetheless, this is basically a mini-review and both a clarification and justification for my violation of MMJ Forum Commandment #4 not to post in the forum during a show (unless its purely positive).

The good: As I've written here before this band lives by their own adage and doesn't ever turn it off. Seeing them on an off night (last night was not an off night) is vastly more enjoyable than seeing most bands on an "on" night. Colorado is a great place to spend time and in theory would seem like a great place to have a special MMJ show. The same way it was nice for midwesterners to get the Chicago Theatre shows a couple years back its nice for people not on the Northeast Corridor and not in California to be graced with a special series of MMJ shows. Horns also are always an enhancement (though we'll come back to this in "THE BAD" later) and certain songs almost feel incomplete without them "Easy Morning Rebel" (which I'm saddened to have missed) being one of them.

Before I knew about the ticket selling woes I thought a 6500 person venue was probably a smart choice in maintaining the intimate club feel but avoiding an arena show with thousands of empty seats (like the MSG 12/14/11 show that I am amaaaaazed was over 6 years ago). I still think their thought process in this regard was pretty smart though the choice of venue was a mistake (which we will also come back to).

The show itself: Karl Denson was a solid opener and the crowd seemed to be giving him more attention/adulation than other openers could potentially be getting (going back to 12/14/11 I felt that Band of Horses was largely ignored almost painfully so.) Always good to have someone upbeat to rile the crowd up for a horn-heavy main act.

The setlist was not so much different than Boston NYE 2012 and San Fran NYE 2006 which both had 27 songs. I was personally expecting something closer to MSG 2008 with 32 songs but I realize that not every show can be an all time great and it seems that in retrospect the MSG show was particularly special and the Boston show was not. This was definitely an "enhanced" setlist (solely due to the covers) but more akin to a Red Rocks setlist than a T5/MSG2008.

I loved the fact that the Cobra segued into the Miss you (and seemed at the end to segue back into Cobra shortly) and I also loved that the Thank You Falletenme Be Mice Elf segued into the Rhythym Nation (at least that's the way I heard it but its not the way its listed on the setlists). On the topic of covers they were all good to very good (and I loved Carl singing the "She Loves You" parts at the end of All You Need Is Love)  though the only two that I think I'll be listening to in years from now are the Thank You (which had an additional increased funkiness and didn't sound like a note-for-note replication) and the following Rhythym Nation which reminded me of some T5 covers (and Jim at Lockn singing Jane's Addiction this past summer) where there's a grittiness and you know they're hearking back to a song they loved as kids.

The pyrotechnics were cool but a little simplistic and the lighting was cool as usual. Neither of those things did anything to make me think that what I was experiencing was "epic" but they were cute and appropriate.

The Bad:

Firstly I was in the stands Carl side and I think the Floor looked great. I just couldn't deal with standing for 5-6 hours so I took the lazy route. My first criticism is therefore somewhat linked to sitting there and looking at the empty seats (that were cordoned off) on the sides of the stage which got me to think about all of the empty seats in the building (apparently a lot more pronounced on the first 2 nights).I don't know if its a reflection on band management, a reflection on whats' sadly a weak fan base (not the people here obviously) or just a minor error on the part of the band but frankly its embarrassing. As I said above its nice to spread the (in keeping with the completely overplayed theme of the evening) "LOVE" all over the country but you kinda realize why bands both like playing and often have disproportionately more shows in NYC - people show up!!

At the Aloft Broomfield I asked one the employees whether things were "crazy" and she basically said "nope. nothing like previous bands." This is sad for me. I think this band is so great and they can't even sell out a small(er) venue after announcing that they  aren't playing US shows again till 2019??? Look, none of us can force the masses into becoming dedicated fans and history is replete with bands that never got their due in their lifetime but this should have been easy. I have no doubt that Umphreys and other Denver area NYE shows took some fans away but that again is indicative of poor management.

When I posted "this set sucks" (EGAD! in the middle of the show!) I was correct. YOU ARE PLAYING YOUR FINAL US SHOW FOR OVER A YEAR AND 12 SONGS IN YOU HAVE ONE COVER AND NOT A SINGLE SONG FROM THE FIRST 3 ALBUMS!??!?! Sitting at my computer at home 1000+ miles away and almost a day removed I actually am more bothered by this now than I was at the time. This was simply inexcusable. I fully understand that this was the THIRD night and that REALLY they were 60 songs in at this point but I unfortunately to not accept that as a valid excuse. Rollin Back for example is not a By My Car but it hasn't been played since the Beacon (over 2 years ago) and should have (or pick your song) taken the place of Compound Fracture , Spring or Tropics in their "Farewell show." (Dancing in the Dark was fine and fun.)

Starting with Cobra things started to resemble what the show should have been. The Waterfall filler was out of the way and the band could start having fun with the upbeat covers that had made their previous New Years shows memorable. Sadly, Jim at least feels the need to be overly overtly political at the expense of an enjoyable evening. Don't get me wrong: My politics are the same left of center that most people's here seem to be. We all deplore racism/sexism/chauvinism and we all love love and hate hate. That being said...... ughghgghgghg.

I'm not 100% sure why they needed a 25 minute break to then play for another 40 minutes but I'm not a singer or a musician so maybe this was NECESSARY. It would seem to me that on a momentous occasion like this maybe play a few more songs especially of you don't have any shows for weeks?? Like I said I don't know and Jim definitely has to rest his vocal cords from time to time so maybe this is an invalid criticism.

In keeping with this theme though I thought the combination of the video the guys with the signs and the LOVE songs was trite and took what could have been a dance party and made it something more mellow. Maybe this is what Jim thinks is necessary at this time but this was New Years Eve. Save the political stuff for interviews/social media/ or other shows. I understand that he wanted to destroy 2017 and usher in 2018 ASAP but I really think it was over the top and was an additional damper on the evening. (By the way I'll mention now that I don't mind you coming along and responding that I'm totally off base and that all of this was needed and well-taken last night. I genuinely have no idea what percentage of others here share my feelings but I'm sure they exist.)

The mix was off. Really off. At times the keys were way too loud and often the horns were completely drowned out. I know Tom was fiddling with stuff all night and between hand signals to techies and all that fiddling there seemed to have been more sound issues going on than I've seen before.) I don't know if this is an MMJ issue or a venue issue but the mix problem was very evident to me. It could be that this was largely a result of where I was in the stands and if I was in the center of the floor I would have had more balance. Maybe? I'd love to hear what others thought about this.

Finally, coming back to the song choices the fact that there were 3 Tenn Fire, At Dawn, and It Still Moves songs (other than OBH) is INSANE. If you're not willing to acknowledge this then you're in denial.  As I mentioned above I know that for many they feel they got their fix by going to all three nights and aren't gonna be as miffed as I am having only been to NYE but the criminality fo this should not have to be elaborated upon.

Honestly, I think its time this band takes a long break. I love em and emotionally I want there to be lots of shows in 2018 but intellectually I realize that something is wrong. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and hopefully that aphorism holds true both from the fans to the band and from the band to the fans. Wilco are doing it in 2018 and they too have had their share of "live staleness" over the course of the last couple years. I want to see this band to continue performing at their peak for the years and decades ahead and maybe (probably?) a nice long refresher is exactly what everybody needs.

Lonndown27

Quote from: dontgetupset on Jan 01, 2018, 08:59 PM
Eric once again seems to be the sole voice of reason here.

I flew in just for New Years as I was unable to attend the first two shows. As a result my long post will be somewhat informed by my not having been there for the whole 3 day experience. Nonetheless, this is basically a mini-review and both a clarification and justification for my violation of MMJ Forum Commandment #4 not to post in the forum during a show (unless its purely positive).

The good: As I've written here before this band lives by their own adage and doesn't ever turn it off. Seeing them on an off night (last night was not an off night) is vastly more enjoyable than seeing most bands on an "on" night. Colorado is a great place to spend time and in theory would seem like a great place to have a special MMJ show. The same way it was nice for midwesterners to get the Chicago Theatre shows a couple years back its nice for people not on the Northeast Corridor and not in California to be graced with a special series of MMJ shows. Horns also are always an enhancement (though we'll come back to this in "THE BAD" later) and certain songs almost feel incomplete without them "Easy Morning Rebel" (which I'm saddened to have missed) being one of them.

Before I knew about the ticket selling woes I thought a 6500 person venue was probably a smart choice in maintaining the intimate club feel but avoiding an arena show with thousands of empty seats (like the MSG 12/14/11 show that I am amaaaaazed was over 6 years ago). I still think their thought process in this regard was pretty smart though the choice of venue was a mistake (which we will also come back to).

The show itself: Karl Denson was a solid opener and the crowd seemed to be giving him more attention/adulation than other openers could potentially be getting (going back to 12/14/11 I felt that Band of Horses was largely ignored almost painfully so.) Always good to have someone upbeat to rile the crowd up for a horn-heavy main act.

The setlist was not so much different than Boston NYE 2012 and San Fran NYE 2006 which both had 27 songs. I was personally expecting something closer to MSG 2008 with 32 songs but I realize that not every show can be an all time great and it seems that in retrospect the MSG show was particularly special and the Boston show was not. This was definitely an "enhanced" setlist (solely due to the covers) but more akin to a Red Rocks setlist than a T5/MSG2008.

I loved the fact that the Cobra segued into the Miss you (and seemed at the end to segue back into Cobra shortly) and I also loved that the Thank You Falletenme Be Mice Elf segued into the Rhythym Nation (at least that's the way I heard it but its not the way its listed on the setlists). On the topic of covers they were all good to very good (and I loved Carl singing the "She Loves You" parts at the end of All You Need Is Love)  though the only two that I think I'll be listening to in years from now are the Thank You (which had an additional increased funkiness and didn't sound like a note-for-note replication) and the following Rhythym Nation which reminded me of some T5 covers (and Jim at Lockn singing Jane's Addiction this past summer) where there's a grittiness and you know they're hearking back to a song they loved as kids.

The pyrotechnics were cool but a little simplistic and the lighting was cool as usual. Neither of those things did anything to make me think that what I was experiencing was "epic" but they were cute and appropriate.

The Bad:

Firstly I was in the stands Carl side and I think the Floor looked great. I just couldn't deal with standing for 5-6 hours so I took the lazy route. My first criticism is therefore somewhat linked to sitting there and looking at the empty seats (that were cordoned off) on the sides of the stage which got me to think about all of the empty seats in the building (apparently a lot more pronounced on the first 2 nights).I don't know if its a reflection on band management, a reflection on whats' sadly a weak fan base (not the people here obviously) or just a minor error on the part of the band but frankly its embarrassing. As I said above its nice to spread the (in keeping with the completely overplayed theme of the evening) "LOVE" all over the country but you kinda realize why bands both like playing and often have disproportionately more shows in NYC - people show up!!

At the Aloft Broomfield I asked one the employees whether things were "crazy" and she basically said "nope. nothing like previous bands." This is sad for me. I think this band is so great and they can't even sell out a small(er) venue after announcing that they  aren't playing US shows again till 2019??? Look, none of us can force the masses into becoming dedicated fans and history is replete with bands that never got their due in their lifetime but this should have been easy. I have no doubt that Umphreys and other Denver area NYE shows took some fans away but that again is indicative of poor management.

When I posted "this set sucks" (EGAD! in the middle of the show!) I was correct. YOU ARE PLAYING YOUR FINAL US SHOW FOR OVER A YEAR AND 12 SONGS IN YOU HAVE ONE COVER AND NOT A SINGLE SONG FROM THE FIRST 3 ALBUMS!??!?! Sitting at my computer at home 1000+ miles away and almost a day removed I actually am more bothered by this now than I was at the time. This was simply inexcusable. I fully understand that this was the THIRD night and that REALLY they were 60 songs in at this point but I unfortunately to not accept that as a valid excuse. Rollin Back for example is not a By My Car but it hasn't been played since the Beacon (over 2 years ago) and should have (or pick your song) taken the place of Compound Fracture , Spring or Tropics in their "Farewell show." (Dancing in the Dark was fine and fun.)

Starting with Cobra things started to resemble what the show should have been. The Waterfall filler was out of the way and the band could start having fun with the upbeat covers that had made their previous New Years shows memorable. Sadly, Jim at least feels the need to be overly overtly political at the expense of an enjoyable evening. Don't get me wrong: My politics are the same left of center that most people's here seem to be. We all deplore racism/sexism/chauvinism and we all love love and hate hate. That being said...... ughghgghgghg.

I'm not 100% sure why they needed a 25 minute break to then play for another 40 minutes but I'm not a singer or a musician so maybe this was NECESSARY. It would seem to me that on a momentous occasion like this maybe play a few more songs especially of you don't have any shows for weeks?? Like I said I don't know and Jim definitely has to rest his vocal cords from time to time so maybe this is an invalid criticism.

In keeping with this theme though I thought the combination of the video the guys with the signs and the LOVE songs was trite and took what could have been a dance party and made it something more mellow. Maybe this is what Jim thinks is necessary at this time but this was New Years Eve. Save the political stuff for interviews/social media/ or other shows. I understand that he wanted to destroy 2017 and usher in 2018 ASAP but I really think it was over the top and was an additional damper on the evening. (By the way I'll mention now that I don't mind you coming along and responding that I'm totally off base and that all of this was needed and well-taken last night. I genuinely have no idea what percentage of others here share my feelings but I'm sure they exist.)

The mix was off. Really off. At times the keys were way too loud and often the horns were completely drowned out. I know Tom was fiddling with stuff all night and between hand signals to techies and all that fiddling there seemed to have been more sound issues going on than I've seen before.) I don't know if this is an MMJ issue or a venue issue but the mix problem was very evident to me. It could be that this was largely a result of where I was in the stands and if I was in the center of the floor I would have had more balance. Maybe? I'd love to hear what others thought about this.

Finally, coming back to the song choices the fact that there were 3 Tenn Fire, At Dawn, and It Still Moves songs (other than OBH) is INSANE. If you're not willing to acknowledge this then you're in denial.  As I mentioned above I know that for many they feel they got their fix by going to all three nights and aren't gonna be as miffed as I am having only been to NYE but the criminality fo this should not have to be elaborated upon.

Honestly, I think its time this band takes a long break. I love em and emotionally I want there to be lots of shows in 2018 but intellectually I realize that something is wrong. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and hopefully that aphorism holds true both from the fans to the band and from the band to the fans. Wilco are doing it in 2018 and they too have had their share of "live staleness" over the course of the last couple years. I want to see this band to continue performing at their peak for the years and decades ahead and maybe (probably?) a nice long refresher is exactly what everybody needs.

going to all 3 nights would've made you dig the show a lot more, but as a final final final show for a year and a half, possibly two, and you don't even break the 28 song barrier? Its gradually dropped over the years: in the mid 2000s the big shows got 29-36 songs with Bonnaroo 2008 being the most generous, then in 2010-2012 it became 29, then in 2015 it became 28, now it's 26.....
Not being able, or willing, to  break out the Bear or Rollin Back after A New Life was inexcusable. Also, the shortest fucking Cobra ever? It was mostly played as an excuse to play Miss You...I thought that was really fucked up. The band, voice and limbs being tired, could've easily played two or three more. They didn't even do an encore.......

Something is wrong. I don't know what it is, but the band seemed to be all in great spirits throughout the 3 night stand, I gotta say, with smiles and stoned looks permeating the first two nights especially. The NYE night seemed to be more buisness, with the setlist being quite fucking stale until things got a bit mixed up by Cobra.....once again....THE SHORTEST COBRA OF ALL TIME....i dont even know if i wanna call it my first Cobra. I'll call it my first half of Cobra.

The band were fucking fantastic, they brought the awesome pyro and things but they played way too much to the mainstream crowd. What everyone finds so charming about this band, is their massive catalog. They simply aren't showing it off enough.

I DID however see 28 new songs and 12 covers. The first two nights set lists couldn't have been better, couldn't be topped. I was unbelievably privileged to go to see these shows. The NYE night was as trippy and as much of a spectacle as you'd hope, but they could've continued to burn the place down with four or five more: Get Down On it (which the band can play in their sleep),  They Ran which was the main offendor for me that was missing. Couldn't believe this song wasnt apart of the NYE show, let alone all 3 nights and Rolling Back or The Bear, they could've easily played those three and then saved Phone for a bit later?

That Phone Went West was fucking bonkers, nobody can deny that.

The fact that Thank You into Rhythm Nation back into Thank You was only 6 minutes and 28 seconds when it really should've gone on for 10 minutes that groove was so sick, that new riff Jim played was outrageously funky and badass and we needed to hear it for a lot longer. Rhythm Nation was fucking epic, just once again TOO SHORT.

Just looking at the time the band spent on stage, 2 hours and 35 minutes give or take, really pisses me off. They could've given us another half hour, no problem. It doesn't have to be DANCE DANCE DANCE every damn track....i get Jim had a vision, but fuck it to hell if you cant even include Its About Twilight Now or something....it's not too hard....

I would have ZERO complaints of that NYE show if itd just been this:

= one of The Bear or Rollin Back at a quiet segment
= four more minutes of jamming with Thank You into Rhythm Nation
= It's About Twilight Now after midnight
= at 11:45PM after they'd already had 20 minutes of break time, they could've come out BEHIND THE SCREEN, and jammed a ten minute They Ran to lead into the madness. The ease of this option would've been tremendous, but alas they didn't take that opportunity and its a fucking shame for that.
= two more minutes of that badass Dancefloors, which is the greatest Jacket moment I've yet had in person, seeing them rock and roll that Dancefloors, while still believing there was another forty minutes left, was a pyrrhic victory i wanna hold on to for years.

= also: this is the first BIG Jacket show where they only played 2 hours and 30 minutes. I was very impressed with OBHIII night I's 2 hours and 47 minutes, but lately ever since Boston 2012 (2 hours and 55 minutes), the band has gradually lowered their shows' times. THIS WAS THE LOWEST. THE SHORTEST. ......and it was their first NYE show in 5 years, and their last SHOW period for at least a year and a half.

people came from states away, braved intensely horrible conditions both on road and in the air, people came from countries away and when I heard the hi hat chug of OBH I instantly got a little teary eyed that it was over, but kinda got a little sad at the band for WANTING to end it so soon....they could've gone off for another break, if they needed it so badly (the 20 minute break for only playing 35-40 more minutes after was EXTREMELY BIZARRE) and come back with an encore of The Bear, Rollin Back, It's About Twilight Now and then Dancefloors into OBH, with Dancefloors' spot earlier in the set being taken by Get Down On It or Hit It and Quit It

I almost feel like the rest of the band (minus Patrick and Tom to a small degree)  are getting sick of following Jim's every whim, whether that's playing an extra five minutes of an intro to Dondante because Jim wants to explore his guitar, or if he's doing his big ideas with politics lately, it seems there's a weird distance. I could be totally fucking wrong. When JohnnyYac took that picture with the guys they all seemed so genuinely happy.

Maybe they are that its ending....I dunno....

First two nights:
12/ 29 = 10/10
12/30= 10/10   
12/31= spectacle 9/10, as a show=7/10, as a performance= 9/10, setlist minus covers=3/10

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

rna2525

Last two posters def know their stuff.Its def painc time if your a MMJ fan.

jttouch2

I understand the reasons for disappointment because there are definitely some deeper cuts they could've busted out but I don't really see how any of this could be reason to panic. The first two nights were absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! Sure the last night could've been a little less vanilla in the setlist and could've gone a bit longer, but I left nothing less than euphoric every night. The jams in Phone, Dondante, and Carried Away were by far my favorite versions of the songs, (the Phone was the longest Phone performance to date as was the extended Xmas Curtain I think), and that Slow Slow Tune solo from Carl that he kept playing through the last verse was just beyond ridiculous. It's really hard for me to look at those moments and see how this band won't come back stronger than ever in 2019 with a kickass new album and monstrous tour to go with it.

Lonndown27

Quote from: jttouch2 on Jan 02, 2018, 02:07 AM
I understand the reasons for disappointment because there are definitely some deeper cuts they could've busted out but I don't really see how any of this could be reason to panic. The first two nights were absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! Sure the last night could've been a little less vanilla in the setlist and could've gone a bit longer, but I left nothing less than euphoric every night. The jams in Phone, Dondante, and Carried Away were by far my favorite versions of the songs, (the Phone was the longest Phone performance to date as was the extended Xmas Curtain I think), and that Slow Slow Tune solo from Carl that he kept playing through the last verse was just beyond ridiculous. It's really hard for me to look at those moments and see how this band won't come back stronger than ever in 2019 with a kickass new album and monstrous tour to go with it.

totally agree with this too!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Jbpats

To each their own, I personally would have been in heaven if I was able to catch this three night run, and that is coming from somebody who has seen probably too many 'post waterfall' shows and sets.
While I understand the NYE show disappointment to some diehard fans, you have to think the band treats a show like this similar to a festival set. New/Casual fans are at the show, probably even some people that never heard their music before.. it's a play it safe atmosphere, play the songs that might create some buzz and some new fans, play some party favorite covers since its NYE.
All this being said, these reactions don't surprise me.. People around here were starting to get angry with the band in the summer when their one off shows were pretty much the same standard stale set list night in and night out, and while diehard fans (myself alike) would have loved to hear They Ran or The Bear on NYE, those aren't really NYE get the party going type songs, the fact a few are upset they weren't played is surprising to me. 
I mean it happens, the band is overdue for a new album, or at the very least they were due to stop touring the Waterfall release.  These guys have families, side projects, and need to live their lives. Since The Waterfall both Jim and Carl released solo albums, and toured them. Carl did some shows recently with Stealism and Jim went on his acoustic solo outings, it's not like they're sitting around doing nothing. They're constantly giving us new music even though it's not MMJ branded music.
Personally, somehow, this band always grabs me, I enter this euphoric state and close my eyes and am taking to another world, there are very few other places I'd rather be then a jacket show. On NYE this year I saw Dopapod in Boston, one of my other favorite bands. They played for 4+ hours and quite honestly it was too much for me, they started to lose me and they actually lost a lot of the crowd. A few people I were with never saw them before, loved the first 2 hours and by the end all said that they don't think they would ever go see them again. So while a sub 3 hour show might seem short to some, a longer show might have lost new fans they were trying to grab.. A key to success is always leave with the fans wanting more. These dudes just shredded for 3 nights straight and played over 60 tunes, and it sounds like they left with a lot of you wanting more.
Either way just be grateful we have it while we still do. The new music scene these days is not very good.

dontgetupset

Quote from: Jbpats on Jan 02, 2018, 09:00 AM
To each their own, I personally would have been in heaven if I was able to catch this three night run, and that is coming from somebody who has seen probably too many 'post waterfall' shows and sets.
While I understand the NYE show disappointment to some diehard fans, you have to think the band treats a show like this similar to a festival set. New/Casual fans are at the show, probably even some people that never heard their music before.. it's a play it safe atmosphere, play the songs that might create some buzz and some new fans, play some party favorite covers since its NYE.
All this being said, these reactions don't surprise me.. People around here were starting to get angry with the band in the summer when their one off shows were pretty much the same standard stale set list night in and night out, and while diehard fans (myself alike) would have loved to hear They Ran or The Bear on NYE, those aren't really NYE get the party going type songs, the fact a few are upset they weren't played is surprising to me. 
I mean it happens, the band is overdue for a new album, or at the very least they were due to stop touring the Waterfall release.  These guys have families, side projects, and need to live their lives. Since The Waterfall both Jim and Carl released solo albums, and toured them. Carl did some shows recently with Stealism and Jim went on his acoustic solo outings, it's not like they're sitting around doing nothing. They're constantly giving us new music even though it's not MMJ branded music.
Personally, somehow, this band always grabs me, I enter this euphoric state and close my eyes and am taking to another world, there are very few other places I'd rather be then a jacket show. On NYE this year I said Dopapod in Boston, one of my other favorite bands. They played for 4+ hours and quite honestly it was too much for me, they started to lose me and they actually lost a lot of the crowd. A few people I were with never saw them before, loved the first 2 hours and by the end all said that they don't think they would ever go see them again. So while a sub 3 hour show might seem short to some, a longer show might have lost new fans they were trying to grab.. A key to success is always leave with the fans wanting more. These dudes just shredded for 3 nights straight and played over 60 tunes, and it sounds like they left with a lot of you wanting more.
Either way just be grateful we have it while we still do. The new music scene these days is not very good.

All good points. I can assure you that no MMJ crowd would ever get lost if the band played for 3.5 hours plus!

It would be abnormal for any band to remain constant without and ups or downs both because of the reasons you mentioned (family, side-projects) and because  the nature of any of these artists is that they're naturally averse to staleness and have to be constantly creative i.e. looking for that next hit (like an addict).

If it emerges in 5 years from now that the band members hated each other (or all hated Jim) or that they simply felt that after almost 20 years they needed something new I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised. Phish probably would have either disbanded permanently or had member(s) succumb to their demons if they hadn't taken the post-2.0 break. Though they didn't immediately regain their form upon "reuniting" by the time Magnaball and the post- Fare Thee Well shows happened they were in a completely new and refreshed place after 30+ years.

As stated previously a (maybe even multi year) break might be just what the doctor ordered. 

parkervb

i think a lot of dontgetupset's feedback stems from the fact that we're all so deep in this band that attending multi-night runs is the only way for us to feel anywhere close to satisfied. I mean, the strongest "complaint" about NYE is that they didn't play much off first 3 albums (valid) but Night 1 offered one of the most old school runs of songs I can recall since Beacon.

But definitely count me in for more old school songs vs covers (unless those covers are It Makes No Difference or Never Tear Us Apart lol).
Don't you ever turn it off

midwesterner

As someone who has seen 40 plus MMJ shows starting in 2002. 3 MMJ NYE shows, the first 2 Boston pop shows, all 5 terminal 5 shows, most of the Red Rocks shows.  I thought it was a great 3 nights. And NYE is exactly what I expected. It definitely was closer to the Boston NYE than MSG. With more of a wrap up vibe than an all out night of new covers etc.  People that are upset need to let go of their expectations. I personally think there were great moments every night.

The Touch Me > Cobra > Miss You (was worth the weekend alone and reminded me a lot of Terminal 5 at Dawn night were they also combined the two songs but it was Miss You into Cobra)

Steam Engine > The First Time  (was sick and a great version)

Don Dante ( was a very interesting version)

PS they played Rhythm Nation and that was awesome.

piton87

I certainly hope the band doesn't read this board. It seems like some of you are coming off as ungrateful. Its a privileged not a right to go these shows. They don't owe us anything. Nothings guaranteed. I am thankful I am alive the same time they are so I get to see them live. I didn't go to any shows but from what I have seen on social media it looked incredible. I can't wait for OBH4.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

rkwedge

Quote from: midwesterner on Jan 02, 2018, 10:57 AM
As someone who has seen 40 plus MMJ shows starting in 2002. 3 MMJ NYE shows, the first 2 Boston pop shows, all 5 terminal 5 shows, most of the Red Rocks shows.  I thought it was a great 3 nights. And NYE is exactly what I expected. It definitely was closer to the Boston NYE than MSG. With more of a wrap up vibe than an all out night of new covers etc.  People that are upset need to let go of their expectations. I personally think there were great moments every night.

The Touch Me > Cobra > Miss You (was worth the weekend alone and reminded me a lot of Terminal 5 at Dawn night were they also combined the two songs but it was Miss You into Cobra)

Steam Engine > The First Time  (was sick and a great version)

Don Dante ( was a very interesting version)

PS they played Rhythm Nation and that was awesome.
I couldn't agree more with this  :beer: I know myself and everybody with me and around me had the time of our lives. These were great shows. Expectations can really disappoint you, it's not 2012 anymore and the band has evolved over the years. Like it or not you're never gonna see a 30 song show again.  Come on OBH4  :cheesy: :thumbsup:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

slappymoe

Quote from: rna2525 on Jan 02, 2018, 01:47 AM
Its def painc time if your a MMJ fan.
you'll have to forgive those of us who don't.  got a tropical vacation to look forward to :beer:

Jbpats

Quote from: piton87 on Jan 02, 2018, 11:01 AM
I certainly hope the band doesn't read this board. It seems like some of you are coming off as ungrateful. Its a privileged not a right to go these shows. They don't owe us anything. Nothings guaranteed. I am thankful I am alive the same time they are so I get to see them live. I didn't go to any shows but from what I have seen on social media it looked incredible. I can't wait for OBH4.

Meh, while i'm with you it's a privilege to attend a jacket show, I disagree that fans don't have a right to voice their opinion.
It's not like MMJ are playing these shows for free, people are paying their hard earned money and many travel to attend. They have a right to voice their opinion and honestly I think it might be good if the band sees criticism.. Can't always be sunshine and rainbows.

Mr. White

I didn't make the trip out to Colorado for this 3 Night Run, but I have seen them several times over the last couple of years (as the full band and in various solo/collaborative combinations). I don't see/hear anything that would indicate they were done as a band. I see/hear quite the opposite. Carl collaborates with Tom whenever he's anywhere near Nashville or Louisville. Bo has collaborated with Carl and Tom as well. Jim, Tom, and Patrick performed at a charity event at Headliners just a couple of months ago too (Tom Petty Celebration). When I go to local shows (Louisville), the parents and other family members of bandmates always show up to be there for the magic themselves and/or to show support for the "Family" that is My Morning Jacket. At Carl's most recent show at Zanzabar, Patrick's parents and brother were there as well as Jim's mom. The same thing happened when Jim had his solo charity show at The Clifton Center on November 17th. Jim's cousins are in local bands, and Patrick and Jim show up as often as they can to support them. They have other collaborative artists in the Louisville (Greater Kentucky) area that put on smaller shows that always draw the attendance of Jim, Patrick, and their family members whenever possible (Joan Shelley, Daniel Martin Moore, Johnny Quaid, Ben Sollee, Howell Dawdy, Lydia Burrell, Cheyenne Mize, Maiden Radio, Frederick The Younger, and more). Dave Givan sits in on drums, Alex Smith sits in on either bass or electronic percussion/sound effects, and Kevin Ratterman (along with members of Twin Limb) have collaborated with many, many of the above mentioned bands/artists over the recent years. What I'm trying to say is this. All signs point to a continued existence of the most awesome band we all know and love called My Morning Jacket. Like has been pointed out on the Facebook page more than once, Bo is touring with Roger Waters! Let that sink in for a bit. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. Roger is old and won't be touring for much longer. He sees the strength in the band enough to have chosen them to be his backing band on 3 separate occasions. They were Pink Floyd for a day on 4 different days over several years! Jim can pop up on a small or large festival or at a charity event at a moment's notice. Carl is the ultimate Nashville session musician and gets recruited to be a vital member of the house band whenever there are big happenings going on in Nashville. Also, Carl loves to collaborate with the local (Nashville and Louisville) talent and incorporates them into his solo shows as often as he can. This seems like a perfect time for them to take some time off and still be part of the music scene they are a permanent fixture in. In just 11 days, I'm seeing Patrick take part in the 2nd annual 91.9 WFPK Presents Louisville Rock Lottery 2 where 25 local musicians create 5 bands featuring members of My Morning Jacket, VHS or Beta, Wax Fang, Jaye Jayle, Vandaveer, Anwar Sedat, Frontier(s), Curio Key Club, 1200, TFCF, and more! Jim's coming back to town to collaborate with Teddy Abrams and the Louisville Orchestra on April 7th. They are not stopping anything. They are doing more and more and more.

Have no fear, MMJ is here! ... and here to stay!!!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Stevie

I can understand how someone would be a little disappointed with the lack of deep cuts on night three, especially if you werent there for the first two nights.  That said, i tbought they absolutely killed the songs that they did play and I dont understand how anyone could be disappointed with the performance overall.  It felt like they treated it very much like their last US show for a year+ and left it all on the stage energy and execution-wise  Especially Jim.  Dude was losing his voice halfway through the set and powered through like a professional. 

Setlist expectations are an easy way to ruin a good time for yourself.  Ive seen them 40 times, so Ive been there.  But a while back I just decided to take whatever they give me and appreciate it for what it is and Ive enjoyed the performances a lot more. 

Perhaps one reason it didnt sell out is that many have already committed to spending multiple thousand dollars going to OBH.  But honestly Im glad it wasnt full.  The crowd size was perfect. 

Lonndown27

All valid points.  I feel like an asshole to complain about anything.  This is my favorite band and always will be and over those three nights I lost my mind with how great they were. That's all it is guys . ...they just leave me dying for more. That's all it is. I just want more. No hate towards the band whatsoever in fact I think they're in a good place with the evidence of them and their families being close and all that is a good reminder to us all that are gonna miss them extremely bad for a year .  It's just . .... I needed more. 

On NYE a song like They RAN is  a perfect prom night type comedown before the countdown in my opinion . Just saying. The Bear isn't a big party song I get that but neither is Bermuda Highway. Just wish they didn't feel the need to cater to people who came to party more than listen .  I like that it was a party vibe just wish it didn't have to be that nonstop.  So many memories .  This band tore our faces off guys. Just keep listening to these shows over and over and I gotta say these nights had the greatest versions of:
PICTURE OF YOU
CARRIED AWAY
MASTERPLAN
DANCEFLOORS
DONDANTE in my opinion tied with Lollapalooza 2011
XMAS CURTAIN
And some extremely strong versions of
AT DAWN
EASY MORNING REBEL
STEAM
and a Phone Went West that s so crazy and so long it's hard to tell how good it is although to say in person it was unreal

justbcuzido

These shows were great and I feel zero disappointment. The band was firing on all cylinders. To those complaining of a lack of deep cuts, check night 1 and the two debuts (First Time, Magic Bullet). I do agree that night three had more of a "standard" set (especially early on); however, they put everything into it and went HARD.

If there was anything that bothered me, it was that they never introduced their horn section nor really collaborated with the other bands. I figured at the very least Merill from Tune-Yard would sing on Spring. Or Karl Denson (who plays for the Rolling Stones) would have came out for "Miss You". It felt like a huge miss to me and very off.

One last thing, I hope they never do that awful countdown again. My god was that ticking noise annoying. I do feel it was weird they took such a long break to only play a short time after new years.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

sillyboob

The lack of collaborations at OBH 2017 (Lucius aside) was disappointing as well.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

gardenparty

I posted this in the other thread before the last show and guessed every song.  Seemed obvious they had planned to save these songs for night 3 and have a "party atmosphere' so it is surprising people expected something different. 

QuoteSo what's left? Some heavy hitters. Hopefully a few rare gems sprinkled in

OBH
Black Metal
Phone Went West
Gideon
Tropics
Evil Urges
Compound Fracture
Wordless
Touch me 2
Victory Dance
Highly Suspicious