JJ on KCRW 1-17-18

Started by gasp, Jan 17, 2018, 01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I think that's 10 am PST.

11 am MST
12 pm CST
1 pm EST
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LBSUNFLWR

jttouch2

I hope somebody with the proper skills can get a rip of this!

jttouch2

Quote from: jttouch2 on Jan 17, 2018, 12:04 PM
I hope somebody with the proper skills can get a rip of this!

Update I'm making an MP3 rip myself I've never done it before but no time like the present to try!

gardenparty

So i heard a short bit of it.

Jim says MMJ live album is finished.
He also has a finished solo album he hopes to release this summer

jttouch2

https://archive.org/details/1-17-18

Won't post in correct order for some reason but the correct order is listed in the details

rkwedge

Quote from: gardenparty on Jan 17, 2018, 02:27 PM
So i heard a short bit of it.

Jim says MMJ live album is finished.
He also has a finished solo album he hopes to release this summer
Yes he did, exciting. He also mentioned the left over stuff from the Waterfall recordings. Very positive sounding for new material dropping relatively soon and Jim seems like he's having fun.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

APR

thanks jttouch2 for the link.  and garden party and rkwedge for the positive news.  Another solo album?  The man is prolific.  Did he hint at a solo tour??

I'm hoping for the rocking, guitar heavy stuff Jim hinted at a long time ago.  Does anyone recall that interview?  He was talking about changing directions away from the extra Waterfall stuff into more rock heavy stuff for the new album. 

jttouch2

Quote from: APR on Jan 17, 2018, 04:49 PM
thanks jttouch2 for the link.  and garden party and rkwedge for the positive news.  Another solo album?  The man is prolific.  Did he hint at a solo tour??

I'm hoping for the rocking, guitar heavy stuff Jim hinted at a long time ago.  Does anyone recall that interview?  He was talking about changing directions away from the extra Waterfall stuff into more rock heavy stuff for the new album.

That could make sense as to why he said the Waterfall II is finished. When he initially made the "Scorching Rock & Roll" comment I assumed he meant that would be the band's next studio album and that the other waterfall session stuff would be vaulted, but this way the waterfall stuff sees the light of day quickly and the "scorching rock and roll" also comes through quickly on Jim's solo album.
I'd still prefer to have guitar flaming rock stuff from the full band though instead of just Jim solo-I definitely prefer Carl's guitar playing to Jim's, especially after Carl completely shredded the NYE run

APR

Quote from: jttouch2 on Jan 17, 2018, 05:55 PM
Quote from: APR on Jan 17, 2018, 04:49 PM

That could make sense as to why he said the Waterfall II is finished. When he initially made the "Scorching Rock & Roll" comment I assumed he meant that would be the band's next studio album and that the other waterfall session stuff would be vaulted, but this way the waterfall stuff sees the light of day quickly and the "scorching rock and roll" also comes through quickly on Jim's solo album.
I'd still prefer to have guitar flaming rock stuff from the full band though instead of just Jim solo-I definitely prefer Carl's guitar playing to Jim's, especially after Carl completely shredded the NYE run

Yes.... "scorching" sounds good and was the term!  I figured it was for the next MMJ album also.  Interesting thoughts jttouch2.  I feel like Jim saves his guitar playing for MMJ.  But maybe not this time?  He played bass for New Multitudes and New Basement Tapes.   I'm not sure about Monsters of Folk, but maybe them too?  Regions of Light and Eternally Even isn't too guitar heavy.  And during the live shows Jim is usually singing and walking around without an instrument.  On the solo tours, there are a few songs when he plays guitar and often it's just during part of a particular song.

I'm glad stuff is on the horizon and the 2018 hiatus sounds like a break instead of a hiatus before gearing up for a large 2019! 

Lonndown27

What did he say in full about the live album???
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 17, 2018, 09:35 PM
What did he say in full about the live album???

The only thing I heard him say was it was done, and they're working on a release date.
"Where's Jim going?"

rna2525

I feel like the cloud over the management of the band and the website & fan club finishing this band doesn't even have a proper way to release anything.truly sad.

Cameron

Quote from: jttouch2 on Jan 17, 2018, 03:11 PM
https://archive.org/details/1-17-18

Won't post in correct order for some reason but the correct order is listed in the details

Thanks for posting!

Stevie

his "scorching" comment was in reference to his musical cravings at the time, and while he did make a reference to the hope that mmj could get together and find the time in the studio to capture that feeling.  If that didnt happen (and i dont think it did), its possible that he pushed that feeling into his solo arena.

Im curious about the other waterfall material.  So far, we have heard two songs (first time and magic bullet) out of that grouping and i wonder if they were selected for single release due to their disposability (maybe they wanted to save the good stuff for a proper album release) OR because they feel thy are two of the better ones.  I really enjoyed First Time at NYE but Magic Bullet has always been very boring to me, as well as lower quality compared to everything else they have made.  If they are not super excited about the tracks maybe it's better saved for a record store day thing down the line.  If they are really excited about it then that's another thing but I have to wonder why it hasn't been released already if that's the case. 

jttouch2

Quote from: Stevie on Jan 18, 2018, 04:04 PM
his "scorching" comment was in reference to his musical cravings at the time, and while he did make a reference to the hope that mmj could get together and find the time in the studio to capture that feeling.  If that didnt happen (and i dont think it did), its possible that he pushed that feeling into his solo arena.

Im curious about the other waterfall material.  So far, we have heard two songs (first time and magic bullet) out of that grouping and i wonder if they were selected for single release due to their disposability (maybe they wanted to save the good stuff for a proper album release) OR because they feel thy are two of the better ones.  I really enjoyed First Time at NYE but Magic Bullet has always been very boring to me, as well as lower quality compared to everything else they have made.  If they are not super excited about the tracks maybe it's better saved for a record store day thing down the line.  If they are really excited about it then that's another thing but I have to wonder why it hasn't been released already if that's the case.

I definitely agree with you here. If Magic Bullet and The First Time were among the strongest waterfall session tracks not on the album, the part 2 album will be a pretty big disappointment. The songs are fine (First Time was great live), but neither needs to be a setlist commonality a la Spring/Tropics. Hopefully those were the 2 tracks that just didnt fit anywhere and we're still in for a major kickass MMJ album.

Lonndown27

Quote from: jttouch2 on Jan 18, 2018, 05:06 PM
Quote from: Stevie on Jan 18, 2018, 04:04 PM

I definitely agree with you here. If Magic Bullet and The First Time were among the strongest waterfall session tracks not on the album, the part 2 album will be a pretty big disappointment. The songs are fine (First Time was great live), but neither needs to be a setlist commonality a la Spring/Tropics. Hopefully those were the 2 tracks that just didnt fit anywhere and we're still in for a major kickass MMJ album.

I.guarantee THIS is the truth here
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MMJTX

I believe that Magic Bullet and First Time are not part of the 2nd album. I think First Time was purely a song written for Roadies tv show and that's it, and i think Magic Bullet was written/recorded/released in response to some violent current events that were happening at the time.
I agree neither fit into the theme of Waterfall if, in fact, this second album is a continuation of The Waterfall.
Now Throwback is an interesting song in that I don't believe we've gotten a studio release of that song yet but have been treated to some killer live version, and although i don't feel as though that song particularly fits with the Waterfall theme either, i would happier to see that as part of the new studio album than the other two above.
I'll hang up and listen, thanks
Anytime

justbcuzido

Quote from: MMJTX on Jan 18, 2018, 05:15 PM
I believe that Magic Bullet and First Time are not part of the 2nd album. I think First Time was purely a song written for Roadies tv show and that's it, and i think Magic Bullet was written/recorded/released in response to some violent current events that were happening at the time.
I agree neither fit into the theme of Waterfall if, in fact, this second album is a continuation of The Waterfall.
Now Throwback is an interesting song in that I don't believe we've gotten a studio release of that song yet but have been treated to some killer live version, and although i don't feel as though that song particularly fits with the Waterfall theme either, i would happier to see that as part of the new studio album than the other two above.
I'll hang up and listen, thanks

Jim confirmed in a a few interviews "The First Time" & "Magic Bullet" were from The Waterfall (one is below). He said something along the lines of them dropping stuff from that album here or there. With magic bullet it just made sense due to the topical nature.

http://www.wbur.org/artery/2016/11/14/my-morning-jacket-jim-james

To me, The First Time is very similar to Only Memories Remain & I imagine that is why it didn't make The Waterfall as they'd pick one or the other for that album.

Edit - From Rolling Stone Interview

After all the terrible shootings and stuff that happened, I wrote this song called "Magic Bullet," which was something we did during The Waterfall that we released a few months back as this kind of violence-awareness, "stop the violence" song. There's a song called "The First Time" that we recorded – I ended up working with that for the soundtrack to Cameron Crowe's show Roadies. A couple of those things have seen the light of day.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/jim-james-on-happy-accident-solo-lp-new-my-morning-jacket-w447248
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.