Xmas Curtain - 12/29/17

Started by Woody, Jan 10, 2018, 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

I wasn't there but to my ears this is the best version I've heard. Just keeps going! Thoughts?

rkwedge

Quote from: Woody on Jan 10, 2018, 03:29 PM
I wasn't there but to my ears this is the best version I've heard. Just keeps going! Thoughts?
I was there and that was amazing, by far the best I've ever heard. I thought that opening 3 songs that night were a great start to these shows. Jim's voice on "At Dawn" gives me chills still thinking about it.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

meltingaway

Just listened to it on relisten and man he sounds like 2002 jj, it's always amazing to me how people's voices change over time--get deeper, etc.

but yeah great listen there...

this was my 69th post

ericm

It was a fantastic, kick ass performance and I loved how they stretched it out a bit.  :cool: No question it was one of if not the best version of it I've seen in person. Combined with the lights going off big time, it was an early WOW/ buckle up moment of the night for me.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jan 10, 2018, 08:54 PM
It was a fantastic, kick ass performance and I loved how they stretched it out a bit.  :cool: No question it was one of if not the best version of it I've seen in person. Combined with the lights going off big time, it was an early WOW/ buckle up moment of the night for me.  :thumbsup:

Fantastic for sure!!!! it was one of my quickest picks for a song i wanted to hear them play that i hadnt so far, and when Pats bass drum started beating i knew it was coming.

It WAS the 100th time Xmas Curtain was EVER played.....

and it was the greatest, no question. The extended solo took it on a journey and combined all of the other versions from the past and mixed them all in one

The notes they're choosing are outrageous ahahah.

My top 5 Xmas Curtains:

1. 12/29/17
2. 8/4/2012
3. Okonokos / Fillmore November 2005
4. Capitol Theatre 2012
5. 8/17/2012 Mann center
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 13, 2018, 09:34 PM

Fantastic for sure!!!! it was one of my quickest picks for a song i wanted to hear them play that i hadnt so far, and when Pats bass drum started beating i knew it was coming.

and it was the greatest, no question. The extended solo took it on a journey and combined all of the other versions from the past and mixed them all in one

My top 5 Xmas Curtains:

1. 12/29/17
2. 8/4/2012
4. Capitol Theatre 2012
5. 8/17/2012 Mann center

Good call on your list. :thumbsup: I saw three of them and they are right up there at the top on my list as well. The Mann one was outstanding!
"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jan 13, 2018, 10:05 PM

My top 5 Xmas Curtains:

1. 12/29/17
2. 8/4/2012
4. Capitol Theatre 2012
5. 8/17/2012 Mann center

Good call on your list. :thumbsup: I saw three of them and they are right up there at the top on my list as well. The Mann one was outstanding!

thank you EricM!!! of course you did hahahah of course you were at those shows! You're such a a Jackethead man, I wanna hear some of these epic show stories. I literally cannot get enough
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

millerjustin

Quote from: ericm on Jan 13, 2018, 10:05 PM

My top 5 Xmas Curtains:

1. 12/29/17
2. 8/4/2012
4. Capitol Theatre 2012
5. 8/17/2012 Mann center

also got 3 of those live (the same ones!)
What's in here won't disappear

Lonndown27

Good lord you two have been to all of it hahah

ericm

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 16, 2018, 04:37 PM
Good lord you two have been to all of it hahah

Haha, nah man I wish. I got on the show journey a bit later than I would've liked. (2010) I had planned on going to Radio City and the MSG NYE show but some family things caused me to have to bail on those shows.

Thankfully I did manage to get on board early enough to catch some great shows and try to make up for being late to the live show party.   :thumbsup:

I don't really look back and think about or regret the ones I missed though. I just look forward to the next one I'm gonna make and be grateful for the ones I have gotten to.   :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

louisvilledanahys

I've only seen it once--7/7/17 at Ascend--and I went nuts.  We decided to go last minute, backed into third row seats and the night was unbelievable.

Anyone know who it's played so infrequently?

I really thought they would have played it at the Iroquois shows.

jttouch2

Quote from: louisvilledanahys on Jan 16, 2018, 07:05 PM
I've only seen it once--7/7/17 at Ascend--and I went nuts.  We decided to go last minute, backed into third row seats and the night was unbelievable.

Anyone know who it's played so infrequently?

I really thought they would have played it at the Iroquois shows.

I don't think they played it at Ascend this summer-Do you mean 8/6/15? It was incredible that night and incredible the other two times I've seen it. It doesn't seem terribly infrequent to me (I've lucked into hearing it thrice in 6 shows, 3 of which were NYE run), but also I guess if it was left out of Iroquois 16 and RR16 (wow) it must be a rarity.

louisvilledanahys

Yep. It was 2015. I may have frightened folks around us.

jttouch2

Quote from: louisvilledanahys on Jan 16, 2018, 08:51 PM
Yep. It was 2015. I may have frightened folks around us.

I think I did the same when they walked on stage with no intro track right into the OBH opener lol

Good and Limber

I remember saying to our group when Xmas Curtain ended that most bands would have closed out  their entire set with a performance like that and it was only their third song in. Those first three songs of night one set everything up so well for the rest of the weekend. Glad that you're able to have it resonate so strong without being there.

jttouch2

Just caught what sounds like a little teaser of The Way That He Sings just now in that epic closing jam!! What a dang xmas curtain

RobRoy286

Best version of all time.

RobRoy286

Going into the shows I wanted a few songs that I'd never heard before, including At Dawn, Xmas Curtain, and Carried Away.

Yeah night 1 was awesome.

ericm

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Feb 08, 2018, 11:52 AM
Going into the shows I wanted a few songs that I'd never heard before, including At Dawn, Xmas Curtain, and Carried Away.

:cool: 

Always great to hear stories like this.  Getting a song you never saw before is a real highlight but to get three in one show .....doesn't get much better than that.  :beer:  Especially three like this and done to perfection.   :thumbsup:

You must've been flying high when you heard the beginning of At Dawn to open the show. I know I was and I've seen it in that slot a few times.  Perfect  way to start the run and you're right, it was an awesome show. 
"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Feb 08, 2018, 01:20 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Feb 08, 2018, 11:52 AM

:cool: 

Always great to hear stories like this.  Getting a song you never saw before is a real highlight but to get three in one show .....doesn't get much better than that.  :beer:  Especially three like this and done to perfection.   :thumbsup:

You must've been flying high when you heard the beginning of At Dawn to open the show. I know I was and I've seen it in that slot a few times.  Perfect  way to start the run and you're right, it was an awesome show. 

3 in one show for him is awesome but check this out....

i'd seen them twice before this run but on 12/29/17 this is what went down:

outta the first 14 songs, I'd never seen or heard any of them except for It Beats 4 U and Evelyn's Not Real...two songs i fucking love and have no problem hearing. It was just madness man...absolute madness I thought i was in a dream or something

13 originals i'd never seen and two covers i hadn't .

that was JUST IN NIGHT ONE......

night two:

The Dark, Picture of You, Wonderful, Only Memories Remain, Masterplan, Easy Morning Rebel, Steam Engine, The First Time (6 songs in a row that i'd never seen...unreal), and then 4 covers i'd never seen including my first Purple Rain!!!!

night three:

not as many "surprises" and a lot of repeats of songs i'd seen my first two shows, but it did nothing to ruin the evening whatsoever, i was head over heels into this NYE show and going nuts on the dancefloor and they still broke out a few i'd never seen, especially in the covers department:

Touch Me Pt. 1, A New Life, Magic Bullet, HIghly Suspicious, Cobra, Bermuda Highway, Dancefloors with every cover that night, all 6 of them, none i'd ever seen, most of them nobody had ever seen before.

So fuck guys......my brain is still recovering.

I am so grateful to have been there, oh my god.