Please make regular 33 RPM albums

Started by rincon2, Mar 05, 2018, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

I could back my case up in a ton of words, but I'll just get to the point. MMJ should make single album 33 RPM vinyl like most other bands. 45 RPM and double disc single albums suck.

MMJCOBRA

Nole0202

LPs can only accurately hold about 25 minutes per side, any longer and the last song does not track properly and results in distortion.
That's why most artists with longer than average LPs go with 2 discs.

rincon2

I have been buying albums since 1973. MMJ, DBT, Jayhawks, and War On Drugs are the only bands I have bought that do this. ISM may fit that criteria, but Circuital and Waterfall have no need. Both friggen 45 RPM. Switching speeds screws up my turntable. Both my old belt drive and my current refurbished direct drive. I have well over 1000 vinyl albums. I don't buy the time factor.

justbcuzido

Quote from: rincon2 on Mar 08, 2018, 09:17 PM
I have been buying albums since 1973. MMJ, DBT, Jayhawks, and War On Drugs are the only bands I have bought that do this. ISM may fit that criteria, but Circuital and Waterfall have no need. Both friggen 45 RPM. Switching speeds screws up my turntable. Both my old belt drive and my current refurbished direct drive. I have well over 1000 vinyl albums. I don't buy the time factor.

It has become very common for bands (not just the ones listed) to do 2LP's. And as Nole said, it is about better sounding records (noticed more on higher end tables of course)

Honestly, I don't always love it as I prefer not to have to switch it every two songs (I'm looking at you 45RPM's); however, I do find myself more immersed/engaged in the music if I have to focus in more. So, if I am trying to just have background music while I cook/entertain, I wont do the short side 2LP's. If I am just trying to fully engage in music and want to hear MMJ, I am all for it.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

oistheone

I was on a MMJ vinyl binge the other night and forgot to switch between 33 and 45 after changing a lot of the records. Let me tell ya, Mahgeetah at 45RPM is the ultimate lost Stevie Nicks pop hit!

Stevie

I actually prefer 45 rpm.  Better quality.  Not a big deal for me to flick a switch between albums if i need to.  Of switching speeds messes up your turn table it may be time for a new one.

davymac

Quote from: Stevie on Mar 23, 2018, 01:49 AM
I actually prefer 45 rpm.  Better quality.  Not a big deal for me to flick a switch between albums if i need to.  Of switching speeds messes up your turn table it may be time for a new one.

I've heard 45's have better sound quality, but I don't buy it.  What's the rationale behind that?

Stevie

Quote from: davymac on Mar 23, 2018, 06:45 AM
Quote from: Stevie on Mar 23, 2018, 01:49 AM

I've heard 45's have better sound quality, but I don't buy it.  What's the rationale behind that?

My guess is that there is more "information" per song, a higher bitrate if you will, hence the need for more space and for the record to spin faster to get through it in the same amount of time.