New Jim Solo Album

Started by jttouch2, Apr 15, 2018, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie shoot bandit

I thought after this eventful week... single #2 would have been released today  :angry: :cry:

parkervb

tbh, i was happy that Jim's albums were so different from Jacket because I felt it allowed him another avenue to be creative that didn't quite overlap with Jacket. Now, with this album apparently being more "guitar driven", it gives me a little bit of worry (not a lot) about the future of the band. More so than them playing all the albums at OBH4.

I know the band will get back together at some point but this does make me think the break could be longer than many of us have hoped. Don't bust out the pitchforks, just sharing my thoughts.
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

Quote from: parkervb on May 25, 2018, 10:01 AM
tbh, i was happy that Jim's albums were so different from Jacket because I felt it allowed him another avenue to be creative that didn't quite overlap with Jacket. Now, with this album apparently being more "guitar driven", it gives me a little bit of worry (not a lot) about the future of the band. More so than them playing all the albums at OBH4.

I know the band will get back together at some point but this does make me think the break could be longer than many of us have hoped. Don't bust out the pitchforks, just sharing my thoughts.

Hey i agree and don't be afraid to share an opinion. Reality can be scary
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MMJTX

Did anyone pick up the 7" clear vinyl Jim released yesterday with 'Just a Fool' and track called 'Yaki Soba'??

I grabbed one yesterday at Good Records in Dallas, haven't listened to it yet.

http://www.carolinestorefinder.com/jimjames/
Anytime

subinai

Quote from: MMJTX on May 30, 2018, 09:45 AM
Did anyone pick up the 7" clear vinyl Jim released yesterday with 'Just a Fool' and track called 'Yaki Soba'??

I called the Austin stores but they said they didnt have it. I'll try again.

justbcuzido

Quote from: subinai on May 30, 2018, 12:20 PM

Waterloo has a few copies still. I just snagged one today.

On a quick listen Yaki Soba is a fun fuzzed out pop rock song with catchy riff.

Where Just A Fool feels more anthemic, this tune is much more laid back.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

subinai

Quote from: justbcuzido on May 30, 2018, 01:33 PM
Quote from: subinai on May 30, 2018, 12:20 PM

Waterloo has a few copies still. I just snagged one today.

On a quick listen Yaki Soba is a fun fuzzed out pop rock song with catchy riff.

Where Just A Fool feels more anthemic, this tune is much more laid back.

THANK YOU - just put one on hold.

d_wil

Grabbed one in Johnson City, TN! Can't believe it was only $2...  :thumbsup:

CountSA

If anyone is able to grab an extra for me it would be greatly appreciated! 

subinai

the price surprised me too! Wonder if this "coupon" works for the ATO pre-orders?

MOWJO8185

Throwback is streaming! Sounds GREAT.

Murph

Jbpats

Quote from: Murph on May 31, 2018, 09:47 AM

Not going to be a popular opinion but this album is 0-2 for me right now. Not a fan of just a fool, I thought it might grow on me but after 10 or so listens I think it's safe to say i'm not a fan.. and i've never liked Throwback, possibly the song I dislike the most in MMJ's entire catalogue. I was hoping the album gave it a different spin, but it didn't.

Still have hope, Same Old Lie was my least favorite song on his last album and i loved everything else on it.

subinai

i love this song. Has a special place for me though seeing it at their ACL recording the day after my wedding.  <3

searchinbig

Is that the git we spotted on tv last week?? That has a raw, sooooo kick ass sound. Can't wait to hear the vinyl!!
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

dookie shoot bandit

Just picked it up!
Found it at Vintage Vinyl in Woodbridge, NJ

dookie shoot bandit

Just listened to Throwback about 20 times on my way in to work. I'm really excited and have high hopes for this album!!

As I am driving, I got to thinking.
With the inclusion of Throwback ...
What are the possibilities?
That this album.... is and was supposed to be, "The Waterfall: B Sides/Part 2"???🤔

RobRoy286

Fuckin love Theowback. Of course I wish it were saved for a Jacket album, but I'm just happy it wasn't forgotten. Super excited for the album.

Clarkwork

To me, both singles so far sound like demos.  Like they aren't done yet.  The vocal effect on Throwback is just not good.  Just not digging the production of the songs so far I guess.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

oistheone

I'm really digging this super-overdriven production! The reverb on the vocals takes me right back to ISM-era Jim. Ultimately it wouldn't work if the songs weren't there, but I think "Just A Fool" and especially "Throwback" show that Jim has still got the goods as a writer of supreme riff rockers.

This is the most excited I've ever been for a Jim solo album. Like everyone, kinda wish this was just a Jacket album, but as long as "Throwback" works its way back into MMJ sets, I ain't complainin'.