Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillyboob

Quote from: millerjustin on May 31, 2018, 10:16 AM
Quote from: MMJTX on May 31, 2018, 09:08 AM
Quote from: JDUB on May 31, 2018, 08:06 AM
I'm finding these recordings a little hard to listen to because of Jim's vocals. His voice is cracking so much.

He remembered the words and the guitar chords too!!  For the whole band, just being able to play 88 songs through, all unique, knowing all the chords, the changes, it just blows my mind.  To have seen it, to get to relive it.  It is sooooo good.

It's awesome to have the audio from the three OBHs I've been to, along with my first night at Red Rocks in 2015!

:grin:
bummer

smh - 33 songs night 3.  and he sounded fine even by the time they got to Only Memories.

overall, you can hear a tad of strain here and there, but good lord, he sang their entire discography.  Just remembering the words was herculean

I suggest comparing to OBH2, where the wind and his voice were much more discernible issues
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

War Begun and Picture of You are now my favorite back to back songs.  That could and will change again, but as of recently it's hard to top those two in my book.

I personally love how Jim sounds, and for that many hours it is impressive.  The few cracks make him sound human. 

Cameron

some people just like to complain...

sillyboob

Quote from: APR on May 31, 2018, 10:56 AM
War Begun and Picture of You are now my favorite back to back songs.  That could and will change again, but as of recently it's hard to top those two in my book.

I personally love how Jim sounds, and for that many hours it is impressive.  The few cracks make him sound human. 

Such a great one - two punch there.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

rkwedge

Quote from: sillyboob on May 31, 2018, 12:04 PM
Quote from: APR on May 31, 2018, 10:56 AM

Such a great one - two punch there.
Picture Of You has become a real powerhouse for the band since Red Rocks 2016. I'm sure glad it has found it's place in the sets lately. I really like that 1-2 punch too but it's hard to overtake War Begun into IWSYS for me. I cannot stop listening to these recordings, they just keep getting better and better to me, and agreed, to not miss a word or chord you know the boys put some time into rehearsing these shows. The two runs that hit me right now are Nashville to Kentucky-Old Sept. Blues-If All Else Fails and Just Because I Do-If It Smashes Down-I Needed It Most. Probably because you don't get these songs very often if ever then to here them in a row is just WOW  :thumbsup:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

APR

All those points are spot on rkwedge.  I've been listening to these shows on repeat.  As far as rehearsing, they must have done a ton of it..... I thought The Day Is Coming is way improved, the intro to Lowdown, the list goes on.

ryno11111

I'm finding these recordings a little hard to listen to because of Jim's vocals. His voice is cracking so much.

LOL  Good one

Lonndown27

Quote from: ryno11111 on May 31, 2018, 02:34 PM

LOL  Good one

Literally it's fucking INSANE....

Jim is a human being ya know? Sorry they didnt push PLAY on Z and walk off the stage ...

Jim's vocals are badass. Even if he cracks it means NOTHING. Look at Zeppelin 1975, Robert Plant is ACTUALLY cracking bad...its from the flu. Jim isn't even cracking. It's called the strain of shrieking out the most badass discography of all time.

Rkwedge you god
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

JDUB

Don't take it so personal everyone. I just happened to pick up on this on my first listen through. His voice cracks on the very first sentence of Heartbreaking Man. I thought to myself, too bad his voice isn't as great as it sounds on other live recordings.

rkwedge

Quote from: JDUB on May 31, 2018, 05:12 PM
Don't take it so personal everyone. I just happened to pick up on this on my first listen through. His voice cracks on the very first sentence of Heartbreaking Man. I thought to myself, too bad his voice isn't as great as it sounds on other live recordings.
I agree with you JDUB "don't take it so personal everyone" Everybody feels what they feel and I respect your opinion, however I encourage you not to give up on these recordings yet and you'll find there's some real gold in them. :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Mr. White

When I first downloaded these shows and started listening, I started with Night 2. I did notice Jim's vocals sounded a bit thin and like he was trying hard not to strain himself. I was a little concerned and disappointed at first but soon realized and understood that he was probably saving himself for the long show ahead and for the following long show on Night 3. After all, he had just performed a very long show the night before (Night 1) and probably had issues singing some of the older and harder to sing songs (remember the discussions about why certain songs don't hardly ever get performed these days and that it was due to the strain on his vocal cords/voice). I really like it when he lets loose and howls with true abandonment. Anyway, after listening to Night 1 and then Night 3, I felt he did much better with those nights. He does have a slip or crack in the voice from time to time, but overall, I feel he did wonderfully. We all grow old, and it reminded me of how bands like RUSH (Geddy Lee) had to alter his singing style away from the super high pitch he used for so many years in their early days. Jim will have to alter his phrasing and howling to fit his physical/vocal condition. With this being said, I did take a high school friend with me to see MMJ (for his first time) at last year's Cincinnati show. He used to be the singer of a band in the 1990's and has a real appreciation for the singer and what they are doing up on stage. After the show, he said he doesn't see how in the world Jim keeps it up from night after night, especially on long runs of shows and full tours. He was impressed with Jim's performance and his vocal stamina. It's only us long time fans who notice all the fluctuations in his singing style. Jim will adjust as time and age demands. He will always perform and will always do his best for us (and for himself).
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

hoojack

Quote from: Mr. White on May 31, 2018, 06:55 PM
When I first downloaded these shows and started listening, I started with Night 2. I did notice Jim's vocals sounded a bit thin and like he was trying hard not to strain himself. I was a little concerned and disappointed at first but soon realized and understood that he was probably saving himself for the long show ahead and for the following long show on Night 3. After all, he had just performed a very long show the night before (Night 1) and probably had issues singing some of the older and harder to sing songs (remember the discussions about why certain songs don't hardly ever get performed these days and that it was due to the strain on his vocal cords/voice). I really like it when he lets loose and howls with true abandonment. Anyway, after listening to Night 1 and then Night 3, I felt he did much better with those nights. He does have a slip or crack in the voice from time to time, but overall, I feel he did wonderfully. We all grow old, and it reminded me of how bands like RUSH (Geddy Lee) had to alter his singing style away from the super high pitch he used for so many years in their early days. Jim will have to alter his phrasing and howling to fit his physical/vocal condition. With this being said, I did take a high school friend with me to see MMJ (for his first time) at last year's Cincinnati show. He used to be the singer of a band in the 1990's and has a real appreciation for the singer and what they are doing up on stage. After the show, he said he doesn't see how in the world Jim keeps it up from night after night, especially on long runs of shows and full tours. He was impressed with Jim's performance and his vocal stamina. It's only us long time fans who notice all the fluctuations in his singing style. Jim will adjust as time and age demands. He will always perform and will always do his best for us (and for himself).

I think this is a pretty good take. There were times when I could hear a little strain and times when it felt more like restraint.  And it takes nothing away from how fabulous these recordings are. A lot of the songs aren't the easiest on his voice as has been discussed here before. He also didn't have the luxury of skipping the harder songs or adjusting the set list so that the harder to sing songs could be paired with easier ones. He also sang a lot of damn songs over three days. The imperfections are also part of what make live performances so special. The live stuff and the albums are two completely different beasts

PJAMVedder

Quote from: rkwedge on May 31, 2018, 05:49 PM
Quote from: JDUB on May 31, 2018, 05:12 PM
I agree with you JDUB "don't take it so personal everyone" Everybody feels what they feel and I respect your opinion, however I encourage you not to give up on these recordings yet and you'll find there's some real gold in them. :beer:

Not about taking it personal at all

more about WTF!?

Come Closer

Isn't the voice cracking mostly intentional and part of his stylo?

Lonndown27

Thank fuck we're fans of the most insanely perfect band of all time my god i can't wait to hear what some of you would say if they actually ever had a bad night for once...

In comparison to Phish ? Jacket destroy Phish. Bar none.
Grateful Dead even at their mid 70s best? Without question the Jacket are better.

Zeppelin? Jacket again.

The who? Didnt mix up their setlists hardly enough. Jacket.

The Band? Too tame at times and never got crazy. Jacket

Allman Bros ? After Duane it aint the same. Jacket

Rolling stones? Outside of the studio they only have a few great shows live, try Micks voice out for comparison. Jacket

What Jim does for us fans CANNOT be matched in the pantheon of rock and roll. 

Try singing their entire discography and then tell me what's happenin.

Not taking it personal.
Facts is facts hahah

Also, sorry but i enjoy the Gram Parsons country crack in his voice every now and then. Outside of the appropriately placed ones, i dont think he's cracking or losing his intensity, It's totally about preservation.

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

iLikeBeer

I love ya Lonn but I can't take Jacket over the Dead in their top form.  I love MMJ as much as anyone, but my love for the Dead trumps all...   :beer:

As for your other comparisons, I can't really argue against any others.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 04, 2018, 02:55 PM
Thank fuck we're fans of the most insanely perfect band of all time my god i can't wait to hear what some of you would say if they actually ever had a bad night for once...

In comparison to Phish ? Jacket destroy Phish. Bar none.
Grateful Dead even at their mid 70s best? Without question the Jacket are better.

Zeppelin? Jacket again.

The who? Didnt mix up their setlists hardly enough. Jacket.

The Band? Too tame at times and never got crazy. Jacket

Allman Bros ? After Duane it aint the same. Jacket

Rolling stones? Outside of the studio they only have a few great shows live, try Micks voice out for comparison. Jacket

What Jim does for us fans CANNOT be matched in the pantheon of rock and roll. 

Try singing their entire discography and then tell me what's happenin.

Not taking it personal.
Facts is facts hahah

Also, sorry but i enjoy the Gram Parsons country crack in his voice every now and then. Outside of the appropriately placed ones, i dont think he's cracking or losing his intensity, It's totally about preservation.

I love you.

RobRoy286

What's great is that they're a culmination of ALL those bands/sounds. They've taken every great aspect of rock's history and mashed it all together beautifully.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jun 05, 2018, 05:12 PM
What’s great is that they’re a culmination of ALL those bands/sounds. They’ve taken every great aspect of rock’s history and mashed it all together beautifully.
Agreed.  Don't forget about Pink Floyd as well!!!

RobRoy286

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jun 05, 2018, 07:12 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jun 05, 2018, 05:12 PM
What’s great is that they’re a culmination of ALL those bands/sounds. They’ve taken every great aspect of rock’s history and mashed it all together beautifully.
Agreed.  Don't forget about Pink Floyd as well!!!
No doubt!

They're like a blend of The Band, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and the Allman Bros