New Jim Solo Album

Started by jttouch2, Apr 15, 2018, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

I have to say I'm on board with both oistheone and Clarkwork.....  I'm very excited for the album and am a fan of the riffs.  But I must admit that I also prefer the unaltered singing voice.  The muffled or fuzz or whatever production effect on the vocals is not my cup of tea either.   I hope that full effect isn't present during the live shows (which I CAN NOT wait for).  The rest of the album could have the scorching rock we've heard mentioned in earlier Jim interviews and from others who were at the Rough Trade show.

Lucius

Throwback has really grown on me since we first heard it a while back, like others said at first I thought it was just a Waterfall reject but it has really become its own thing. Constantly stuck in my head!
it wouldn't be a party without you

Clarkwork

Love Throwback when Jacket did It. The recorded version is just awful. Keep trying to give it a shot but just hurts me due to falling in love with the live Jacket version. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

HardNightConformist

It's a catchy song but it could be way better.

I seriously wonder why Jim has fallen so in love with the reverb and muffling his voice. If he had recorded this song in a grain silo like he did for At Dawn, it would've taken this song to another level.

MMJCOBRA

I really like Jim's vocal approach!  It was perfect for Eternally Even. Very cool and sultry for.lack of better terms. We'll see how well it fits with the new album.

The DARK

I'm in the camp of never having cared for the full-band Throwback, but this version makes a lot of sense to me. It's a song that's better off for being loose, low-key, and pointed rather than being given the flashy "Among the Living" treatment. You wouldn't get that awesome little laugh at the end on a Jacket album these days.

Maybe in some ways, the full-band albums have become too much of an institution? They're still fantastic albums full of epic rock songs, but Jim has a lot more to say these days and MMJ albums have a lot more expectations riding on them. Just a stray thought, considering I've been listening to a considerable amount of Jim solo albums as of late.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Lucius

I personally hope the next MMJ record follows suit and is more loose/laid back sounding in its production. I really do love The Waterfall but a few songs (Compound Fracture, Spring & Only Memories especially) sound overbaked and totally rigid, almost robotic compared to the live versions. Only Memories is the worst offender to me, live it's so sexy and chilled but the studio version sounds really uptight and stiff. It's a strange one because there are also songs like In Its Infancy and Tropics that couldn't have been done better!
it wouldn't be a party without you

e-stone

Quote from: Steven HydenListening to the forthcoming Jim James album. Half of it sounds like "Mississippi Queen" and the other half is "Powderfinger." If that gets you excited, you're my people.

wheelhousetunes

Yep. This might be the Jim solo record I've been waiting for.

Stevie

While we are talking Jim quotes ("scorching rock"), remember that Jim has said on numerous occasions that his approach with his solo records is to make you feel like you got the wrong record by mistake when you first listen to it.  He seems to want to go off path and make it sound a little screwed up. 

Whether you like this or not is one thing but we shouldnt be surprised anymore is all im saying.  The guy is an odd ball, which i love, but i think a lot of people are still clinging to the very straight forward, black and white Americana version of Jim that we got on the first three MMJ albums..which is roughly 4 years of Jim's work compared to the 17 years of evidence since then that paints a very different picture of who he really is and the type of music that he wants to make. 

That said, i would still die if he ever did a straight solo acoustic tour one day and just decided to play early Jacket songs like Hopefully and If All Else Fails. 

diddy57

When Jim chuckles giddily at the the end of Throwback, that's kind of the way I felt ... it's so good it makes you want to laugh. Really looking forward to this record based on the first two early-release tracks. :thumbsup:

APR

Some good points Stevie.  Jim is always evolving and never stagnant.

This album is called Uniform Distortion so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of songs have the distortion/fuzz on the vocals like Throwback. The jam in the middle of the song is great.  A show with fuzz and distortion like the album plus a chunk of solo acoustic like Hopefully/All Else Fails mixed in would be ideal!  I like the pure, unadulterated Jim voice.

oistheone

Today I was incredibly lucky and got a sneak peek of the album at work.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Start-to-finish, this is the most rock-and-roll album Jim's ever recorded. Not a single acoustic number to be found. Almost every single track sounds like it had the output cranked to 12. "Uniform Distortion" is right! It's certainly a cohesive sound -- layered, punchy productions with a very earnest vibe.  "Throwback" ain't the only tune containing lyrics delivered with laughter. Even with the overdriven fidelity and casual vibe, the music does not suffer in the least. This is Jim's strongest set of songs in years. This is as good as MMJ, and I cannot wait until the boys can dig into these tunes.

Highlights for me:

"Throwback" -- obviously. I'll never stop loving this song.

"Yes To Everything" has one of the best solos Jim has ever ripped. The last two minutes are pure, rip-roaring rock and roll, with an extremely Heartbreakers-esque rave-up finale. Jim's scream has never sounded better -- he belts the FUCK outta this one! It would be a crime against humanity if this didn't work its way into MMJ sets!

"No Secrets" might be the best song on the album. Hypnotic melody and fantastic, evocative lyrics set atop a beautiful little repeating guitar lick. This song BUILDS. Definitely the most personal song on the album. You know there's some real emotions behind this one.

"You Get To Rome" -- What a stomper! Sounds like Jim James was hanging with Billy Gibbons and rolled a joint on the cover of Tres Hombres before recording.

"No Use Waiting" - heavy, "Master Plan"-esque riff. Marvelous and monstrous, like the slower, more well-behaved cousin of "Highly Suspicious". Another number that Carl would absolutely SLAY!

"All In Your Head" --- here's where the Powderfinger comparisons are coming from! I think I've typed "riff" too much, but this song's got a killer one.

"Too Good To Be True" -- The most mellow track on the album. Quotes "Friends Again" in a more melancholy, reflective way. Jim rips a beautiful solo -- MAJOR shades of Jerry -- to end the album.

Shit, "Over and Over" and "Out Of Time" are great too! When "Just A Fool" might be the weakest track on the album, you know you've got a winner. MMJ fans are going to be thrilled.

This album kicks ass. And I CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR THESE NEW TUNES LIVE!!

rkwedge

^^ Now this has me excited! ^^

Glad you got to listen to it. Sounds like you may have given it more then one play thru.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

davymac

Quote from: oistheone on Jun 11, 2018, 11:13 PM

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Start-to-finish, this is the most rock-and-roll album Jim's ever recorded. Not a single acoustic number to be found. Almost every single track sounds like it had the output cranked to 12. "Uniform Distortion" is right! It's certainly a cohesive sound -- layered, punchy productions with a very earnest vibe.  "Throwback" ain't the only tune containing lyrics delivered with laughter. Even with the overdriven fidelity and casual vibe, the music does not suffer in the least. This is Jim's strongest set of songs in years. This is as good as MMJ, and I cannot wait until the boys can dig into these tunes.

Highlights for me:

"Yes To Everything" has one of the best solos Jim has ever ripped. The last two minutes are pure, rip-roaring rock and roll, with an extremely Heartbreakers-esque rave-up finale. Jim's scream has never sounded better -- he belts the FUCK outta this one! It would be a crime against humanity if this didn't work its way into MMJ sets!

"No Secrets" might be the best song on the album. Hypnotic melody and fantastic, evocative lyrics set atop a beautiful little repeating guitar lick. This song BUILDS. Definitely the most personal song on the album. You know there's some real emotions behind this one.

"You Get To Rome" -- What a stomper! Sounds like Jim James was hanging with Billy Gibbons and rolled a joint on the cover of Tres Hombres before recording.

"No Use Waiting" - heavy, "Master Plan"-esque riff. Marvelous and monstrous, like the slower, more well-behaved cousin of "Highly Suspicious". Another number that Carl would absolutely SLAY!

"All In Your Head" --- here's where the Powderfinger comparisons are coming from! I think I've typed "riff" too much, but this song's got a killer one.

"Too Good To Be True" -- The most mellow track on the album. Quotes "Friends Again" in a more melancholy, reflective way. Jim rips a beautiful solo -- MAJOR shades of Jerry -- to end the album.

Shit, "Over and Over" and "Out Of Time" are great too! When "Just A Fool" might be the weakest track on the album, you know you've got a winner. MMJ fans are going to be thrilled.

I'm pumped now, thanks for the sneak peak review!

robb

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Highlights for me:

this is all extremely well said and echoes a lot of the same sentiments i had listening to this. i think i listened to the album 9 times yesterday. no secrets is my early favorite but that'll probably change at some point today when i find something else to latch on to.

this is probably jim's best effort since Z. it should really appeal to the folks who have been around awhile and haven't been digging what jim's been putting out.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

wheelhousetunes

Quote from: robb on Jun 12, 2018, 08:32 AM
this is probably jim's best effort since Z. it should really appeal to the folks who have been around awhile and haven't been digging what jim's been putting out.

Right up my alley!

I already had this one pre-ordered but now I'm glad I'm having it shipped Expedited.

Jbpats

Quote from: robb on Jun 12, 2018, 08:32 AM

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Highlights for me:

this is all extremely well said and echoes a lot of the same sentiments i had listening to this. i think i listened to the album 9 times yesterday. no secrets is my early favorite but that'll probably change at some point today when i find something else to latch on to.

how is everyone listening to the album already? I dont see it streaming online anywhere.

Cameron

sounds great.  can't wait!

Shug

Wow, that is a thrilling preview report, Oistheone, count me as one who has not been all that thrilled with Jim's solo stuff who is pumped for this one based on the first two songs released and the descriptions from those who have heard it.  I hope they do a full tour for this one, whether its Jim with a band or Jacket.  I haven't seen Jacket since 2015 and that fucking sucks, so I'm primed!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"