Epic soundtrack for epic road trip

Started by Tracy 2112, Jun 25, 2018, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Hey everyone. Been a member here since 2003 but don't post much. The wife and I are taking an epic, 3 week road trip up the west coast in a couple of months; we take an epic road trip every 4 years. I like to take music with me that I have not heard before and then that music becomes sort of an "anchor" to my trip memories. Past memories> 2002 MMJ/At Dawn, 2006 Neko Case/Fox Confessor, 2012 Brian Eno/Shutov Assembly & Alejandro Escovedo/Arizona, 2016 War on Drugs/Lost in the Dream & Real Estate/Atlas & Wild Nothing/Nocturne (this was 3 weeks, so more music!)

SO! Looking for music I have not heard, which is a difficult task because you don't know what I HAVE heard. It can be old, it can be new. There are a couple of older artists that I am exploring that I don't know a lot about (Loudon Wainwright, James McMurtry are a couple).

Please reccomend something. maybe you have your own epic road trip soundtrack album? There are no wrong answers here.

Thank you. Peace  :bath:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

MMJTX

Lord Huron (any of their 3 albums) is fantastic road trip/nature soundtrack.
Anytime

Tracy 2112

Quote from: MMJTX on Jun 25, 2018, 12:07 PM
Lord Huron (any of their 3 albums) is fantastic road trip/nature soundtrack.

thank you

Come Closer

Damien Jurado's Maraqopa Trilogy: Maraqopa -> Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son -> Visions of Us on the Land

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Osistheones on Jun 25, 2018, 12:19 PM
Damien Jurado's Maraqopa Trilogy: Maraqopa -> Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son -> Visions of Us on the Land

thank you

crooney

Amen Dunes' new album 'Freedom' is killer.  Check it!

The last two Hiss Golden Messenger albums are great. 

New Floating Action album, 'Heartache Essentials' is good, as are the rest of FA's albums.  'Desert Etiquette' is essential, imho.

Safe travels.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: crooney on Jun 25, 2018, 01:07 PM
Amen Dunes' new album 'Freedom' is killer.  Check it!

The last two Hiss Golden Messenger albums are great. 

New Floating Action album, 'Heartache Essentials' is good, as are the rest of FA's albums.  'Desert Etiquette' is essential, imho.

Safe travels.

thank you

BWA

I love James McMurtry - I would start with Live in Aught Three and Live in Europe.  If you want to go even farther back in the Roots/Americana vein Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter.  More recently John Moreland might work for you....In the Throes or High on Tulsa Heat.  Any of the last 3 Jason Isbell albums are great as well.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: BWA on Jun 25, 2018, 01:54 PM
I love James McMurtry - I would start with Live in Aught Three and Live in Europe.  If you want to go even farther back in the Roots/Americana vein Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter.  More recently John Moreland might work for you....In the Throes or High on Tulsa Heat.  Any of the last 3 Jason Isbell albums are great as well.

Thank you! I am hip to Jason Isbell so the other vines you gave me will be worth exploring.

Crispy

I think all of Stars' records are excellent road trip material, especially the early ones: Heart, Set Yourself on Fire, and In Our Bedroom After the War.

Ditto on that Damien Jurado rec.

Some Mother Hips would be good when you hit Northern California, like Later Days or Pacific Dust, or pick one. Their new record is pretty great too.

I'm sure you've heard it, but for geography's sake listen to The Decemberists' Castaways and Cutouts, if only for the last track: California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade.

If you dig John Moreland, check out his fellow Okie and bandmate John Calvin Abney, his new record is Coyote and it's great.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 25, 2018, 02:15 PM
I think all of Stars' records are excellent road trip material, especially the early ones: Heart, Set Yourself on Fire, and In Our Bedroom After the War.

Some Mother Hips would be good when you hit Northern California, like Later Days or Pacific Dust, or pick one. Their new record is pretty great too.

I'm sure you've heard it, but for geography's sake listen to The Decemberists' Castaways and Cutouts, if only for the last track: California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade.

If you dig John Moreland, check out his fellow Okie and bandmate John Calvin Abney, his new record is Coyote and it's great.

thanks asshole

Crispy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jun 25, 2018, 02:17 PM

thanks asshole

:bath:

Shug

Good rec on Mother Hips.  I really like their country rock period and that would be the very nice Later Days.  But you might also consider the one right before it, Shootout (except for its out of print still, check ebay or your local used store) for the excellent country rock and harmonies, but still with some jamming.  A lot of its themes are about travelling so it would work thematically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPu7uL8YfJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STprx3W8TMg

Crispy did I know you were hip to the Hips?  If I did, I forgot.  When did you get into them?
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Shug on Jun 25, 2018, 02:41 PM

Good rec on Mother Hips.  I really like their country rock period and that would be the very nice Later Days.  But you might also consider the one right before it, Shootout (except for its out of print still, check ebay or your local used store) for the excellent country rock and harmonies, but still with some jamming.  A lot of its themes are about travelling so it would work thematically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPu7uL8YfJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STprx3W8TMg

Crispy did I know you were hip to the Hips?  If I did, I forgot.  When did you get into them?

thank you!

Crispy

Quote from: Shug on Jun 25, 2018, 02:41 PM

I dunno! It was probably on account of you and/or BH talking about them on here way back, around Crystal Flake time. I STILL haven't seen them live! I made a huge mistake on my last SF trip, leaving town the day they were playing at the Fillmore.  :cry:

Shug

They were in their prime live 1996-2001, I'd say, so I don't go see them much anymore but if you weren't around to know what you are missing, they are probably really good to see live still. Fillmore or GAMH are great places to see them!

Tracy, if you are more into the West Coast pop sound try Pacific Dust that Crispy recommended and maybe throw in Green Hills of Earth and Kiss The Crystal Flake.

Tracy, have you checked out Martin Sexton?  He's good travelling music, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H7oS0qz5_s

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Shug on Jun 25, 2018, 04:45 PM
They were in their prime live 1996-2001, I'd say, so I don't go see them much anymore but if you weren't around to know what you are missing, they are probably really good to see live still. Fillmore or GAMH are great places to see them!

Tracy, if you are more into the West Coast pop sound try Pacific Dust that Crispy recommended and maybe throw in Green Hills of Earth and Kiss The Crystal Flake.

Tracy, have you checked out Martin Sexton?  He's good travelling music, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H7oS0qz5_s

I'll check him out, thank you!

Shug

For Martin Sexton, Black Sheep is the album to start with for sure.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Shug on Jun 26, 2018, 10:14 AM
For Martin Sexton, Black Sheep is the album to start with for sure.

:headphones:

jimsflyingv

I like to listen to War on Drugs while driving.......perfect road trip music.

Dire Straits "communiqué" is always associated with vacation in france with me, the opening of "once upon a time in the west" starts and I have the smell of pine trees and the ocean in my nose